Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 13, 2003, 5:38 PM   #1

Default S7000 RAW Converter appears to be a joke!

I was excited about the prospect of being able to manipulate RAW files from the S7000, but Fuji's "RAW" Converter appears to be nothing more than a "converter".

After three calls to Fuji technical support, I'm really no further along with being able to manipulate the .RAF files than I was before I called.

In Fuji's favor, they did promise to have a senior technical advisor call me, but I'm really not expecting a solution.

As it is, the RAW "feature" with the S7000 appears to be nothing more than a glorified way to save file space with a compressed RAW format which can only be converted to a tiff. Once it's been converted, of course it can be manipulated with PhotoShop, but that kind of defeats the whole idea of a RAW file.

Come on Fuji - you can do better than this!

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2004, 10:50 PM   #2

Lin,

See replay I posted to your message here :http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ighlight=s7000

Thanks,

Alex
s7000User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2004, 9:34 PM   #3

Hi Lin,

There are several other programs available to process RAW, including S7Raw, RawGem, and others. Go to the Dpreview Fuji List and do a search for RAW, you'll come up with some answers.

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 8:59 AM   #4

I agree, its a shame they didn't have a program where you could change the settings in RAW. I tried Photoshop (you can download a free 30day trial) and was unimpressed with the results. The Fuji converter pictures looked better after the conversion but it would be nice to adjust things such as white balance etc.

As for the Free programs, the rusults are poor. I have tried S7Raw and the 12MP fine photos look better. They just aren't quite on with the free program. You have to appreciate they are giving it a shot and its probably the best out of the ones available. Many of the programs are command line which is a pain to use and you still don't get to see your results until you are done.

I have heard the program for the Fuji S2 Pro camera will work with the S7000 but I have no idea of where to get it so I haven't been able to try it out.
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 8:08 AM   #5

I bought the hyper utility program after some agony about the cost, but it does work and gives a lot of control over the conversion. I actually bought the software at my local photo store but the cheapest option is probably www.technikdirekt.de (if you are in Europe...). To bad the remote control option does not work with my S7000...
fmalcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 6:21 PM   #6

There is a new version of RawGem (free!) with lots of control over the conversion. Improved colors too.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/pierre.labr...age/RawGem.htm

Pierre

Pierre Lafoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 8:53 PM   #7

Interestingly RawGem only gives outdoor shots for their examples pages. S7raw does similar shots outdoors and is a windows program that is simple to use. However try it on indoors shots and they look very bad compared to the included fuji converter. I wonder if you will find the same results indoors with the Rawgem program?
Old Oct 28, 2004, 9:34 PM   #8

Good observation. At this time, rawgemdoes not use EXIF data, whichcontains White Balance information; indoor shots used without a flashwill look bad, and need post-processing.

Pierre

Pierre Lafoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 4:00 AM   #9

Hi Lin:

You will need to contact the Adobe site and get the Raw updater for Photoshop CS, it's free. You can then load the .RAF files from the S7000. This is necessary because the raw files tend to be proprietory and different with different camera manufaturers. There are as of yet no widely used standards. On the somewhat pessimistic side, I have found that the shots taken at 12MP fine with the S7000 seem to be somewhat better than those taken with the raw format, no matter how much tweaking I do in Photoshop CS. Consequently, I am not sure that the much larger file size (13 megs) is worth the added effort. But maybe someone else has had better results.
Pete
plestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 6:21 AM   #10

I agree, the 12MP Fine actually look better to me also. I think its because the in camera processing does a better job. The Fuji software that is included with the camera also seems to give better results although you cannot change any settings prior to saving the file. I think something is just missing in the other software that is just not exactly like the code Fuji needs.