Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 16, 2003, 8:58 PM   #1

Default S5000 Owner Questions...to Veedee & others

I have had a S5000 for about 2 months now and wanted to get some opinions from the other owners of this camera. I'm not a photo expert and mostly use my cam to takes pics of my children.
I'm curious if the other s5000 owners mostly use the "Manual" setting when they shoot (Aperature and Shutter speed). And if so does that seem to give them better shots? I'm guilty of using the "Auto" setting most of the time and the shots mostly seem noisy or a little blurred (w/o flash). I don't want to do alot of post photo editing either, but just want decent pics that can be printed when needed in 5x7 or lower.

Part of my problem is my first digital cam was an Olympus 2100 UZ. I can't believe I sold it thinking I could buy one of these cheap $150 cams and get the same image quality (After trying 2 of the cheap point and shoot cams I ended up with the S5000). The 2100 could not take a bad shot. It could take shots all day w/o the flash and in low light that would come out perfect, clear and crisp.

Anyway, I like the s5000 and want to make sure I'm doing everything possible to get the best pics of it. I don't really want to go to raw mode, but it sounds like that is one way to get better quality. Does anyone notice an improvement with the 6M mode vs. the 3M mode?

Any suggestions would be appreciated...
creosote77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2003, 10:13 PM   #2

I can't tell a bit of difference with 6mp vs 3mp mode. Why not use the flash? If you use auto indoors.....try using manual focus.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 2:08 AM   #3

Default Re: S5000 Owner Questions...to Veedee & others

Quote:
Originally Posted by creosote77
[...]
I'm guilty of using the "Auto" setting most of the time and the shots mostly seem noisy or a little blurred (w/o flash).
I think your problem is not the Auto mode (which should in any respect give as good pictures as manual mode in 95% cases), but the fact that you use the optical zoom handheld.
You have to understand that because the camera does not have any Image Stabilization feature, the shaking produced by your hands when using full telephoto (maximum optical zoom) will have a big impact on your photos.
To get rid of it, I would suggest either to get a small tripod and carry it with you, either try to keep your hands still when taking the photo. Another method would be to use the in-camera timer feature (10 seconds), since it's most likely that the shaking ocures when you press the shutter button.
Also try to use full telephoto handheld only in bright daylight.

Quote:
Part of my problem is my first digital cam was an Olympus 2100 UZ. I can't believe I sold it thinking I could buy one of these cheap $150 cams and get the same image quality (After trying 2 of the cheap point and shoot cams I ended up with the S5000). The 2100 could not take a bad shot. It could take shots all day w/o the flash and in low light that would come out perfect, clear and crisp.
Exactly! The Olympus 2100UZ has 10x stabilized lenses. It somewhat compensates the shaking of your hands... Nevertheless, this can be achieved with the S5000 too, you just have to work a little bit on it.

Quote:
Anyway, I like the s5000 and want to make sure I'm doing everything possible to get the best pics of it. I don't really want to go to raw mode, but it sounds like that is one way to get better quality. Does anyone notice an improvement with the 6M mode vs. the 3M mode?
Yes, since the camera's real number of megapixels is somewhere between 3 and 6, the 6MP mode will offer most of the times more details than 3MP. RAW is very very good when you want to postprocess your pictures... I use it a lot for web/printing.
Quote:
Any suggestions would be appreciated...
Hope it helped.

Cheers,
veedee.
veedee is offline   Reply With Quote