Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 2, 2009, 3:10 PM   #1

Default Date infor printing with F50FD

I couldn't find a way to print the pictures with date information printed on soft and hard copy of the pictures shot with F50FD, any help?
cronustr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:32 AM   #2

Isn't there anybody to show me the way?
Old Nov 4, 2009, 12:27 PM   #3
Administrator

Date stamps can be unsightly and ruin a photo (especially if the colors clash), even if have the correct date. I'd leave that feature turned off with camera that have it.

The settings a camera used to take a photo are included inthe EXIF (a header that is part of your images). This header includes the date and time an image was taken.

You can get software that can read the date the photo was taken, and stamp your images at the time you print them if you really need that feature.

One example of a free utility is Exifer for Windows (it's watermark feature can read the date information, and place it on the photos in batch mode).

Irfanview also has that ability with it's batch processing features.

Using software to stamp the photos (instead of a camera's date stamp feature), insures that you always have originals without the date stamp (since it can be unsightly), as long as you make sure you save the modified images to new file names, or work with copies of your originals instead. That way (work with copies of your originals), you'll have versions with and without a date stamp.

Some printing software can also place the date on a photo when printing (reading it from the EXIF metadata in the image file). Even the free EasyPrint software Canon includes with some of it's newer Pixma printers has this feature (and some third party printing software like QImage Pro can also do this, with no date stamp feature in the camera needed). Personally, I never print images with a date stamp.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2009, 11:53 AM   #4

I've just downloaded the irfanview but I couldn't find the feature where to find the date infor printing before the hardcopy?

I don't want soft print of dates as you've said, I just want to print dates on paper printing but I couldn't find a way yet
Old Nov 8, 2009, 11:57 AM   #5
Administrator

It's part of the batch processing features. Give me a few minutes, and I'll reboot my PC into Windows Vista, load Irfanview, and find it for you (I normally use Linux, unless I need to check a feature in a Windows application someone is interested in).
Old Nov 8, 2009, 12:55 PM   #6
Administrator

I found it.

After you load Irfanview, open the batch operations (File>Batch Operations) menu choice. That will take you to the first screen I have shown below.

I'd use the Batch Conversion and Rename choice.

You'll then need to select the files you want to perform conversion on. I don't have any selected in the attached sample. But, if you browse for a folder, you can use the "add all" button to perform the operations on all images in a folder. I'd make sure to create a new folder for the output (so that you don't overwrite your originals, especially if the results don't turn out as expected).

Then, check the "use Advanced Options" box and click on the Advanced button beside it, and you'll see a screen pop up that looks like the second attached image. Check the "Add overlay text" box under Miscellaneous, then click on the Settings button beside it for available options.

That will let you add overlay text to an image, and you have a variety of options you can choose. Anything in the image EXIF (including date/time stamps, etc.) can be placed on the image as desired (and you can choose location, font sizes, etc.). Click the Help button once you get to the Overlay Text settings and you'll see an appendix showing you the available variables for a variety of camera related settings and information.

You can also save your settings to a file and reload them as desired once you figure out what works best for you (note the Save Settings and Load Settings options on the second screen attached), as it may take a bit of experimentation to figure out what looks best to you (it's not very intuitive, and make take a bit of trial and error to get it where it looks nice).

When you click OK and return to the Batch Operations screen, if you click the the Start Batch button, all of your images will be processed using the set options. You can also do things like resize your images at the same time and more if desired.
Attached Images

Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:39 AM   #7

It seems it doesn't read the exif information from the picture to print the date that it was actually taken...It didn't work.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:57 PM   #8

Just to clarify, I'd have to manually do this for each group of pics taken on a specific date? It doesn't automatically detect the date?

Thanks!
golfntob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 6:18 AM   #9
Administrator

It should be detecting it OK if you're using the correct variables for date/time stamps in the EXIF. If not, there could be a bug in the current version of Irfanview. It used to work. But, I haven't tried it in a while now.