Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 3, 2009, 4:39 PM   #1

Default Help a newbie with Fuji F70 EXR

Hello everyone! Was hoping to get some help and some advice on this camera. I have always only owned digital point and shoot cameras and I know absolutely nothing about setting the settings manually. I've always just used auto feature for everything.

I bought this camera because I wanted a small, inexpensive camera with a large zoom mainly for concerts. I tried it out last night and I wasnt having much luck on the auto or exr modes. It was really hit or miss with pics being blurry or lots of noise. I tried every setting and just took a bunch of pics, I really didnt even know what I'm doing. The best one of the night was probably this one as far as being crisp with not much noise. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...z/DSCF0219.jpg And I dont even remember which setting I used, I think it was on EXR and the lighting just happened to be perfect at that moment and I just happened to hold the camera really still. I was at almost 10x zoom on this one I think. Most of my pics ended up looking like this http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...z/DSCF0236.jpg or worse with blur and noise. Is it the lighting? Or is there something I can do to improve the quality next time?

I guess my question is, can anyone tell me how to set up the camera on manual or "P" for a concert? Also which of these 2 settings would be easier to use and would produce better pictures? I know you are supposed to set the shutter speed and aperture but the manual doesnt really tell you what the numbers actually mean. So I have no idea what I'm doing in regards to changing these settings. If someone could give me some suggestions on what to set the settings and specifically what the shutter speeds and aperture do as far as in numbers (I dont know what a shutter speed of 60 does in comparison to 500 for instance). So I hope I made sense and thanks in advance for any help.
Sicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2009, 5:29 PM   #2

You can go here and play with a virtual camera and see how the different settings affect your image

http://dryreading.com/camera/index.html
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 12:16 AM   #3

Default thanks

thanks for the link. it was very informative. i've always used the "auto" settings. i won't be as shy to try some settings on my own.

thanks.
maryintexas39
maryintexas39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:33 AM   #4

Sicy-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

The F-70 EXR has a real learning curve to it. I got mine early in the month, but had to set it aside due to the hustle and bustle of Christmas and a large family. I have finally had some time after Christmas to get my feet wet and have also done some cram course reading to properly understand the EXR system.

Since one of your priorities is for use at concerts, you have to become very familiary with shooting in the EXR mode. Basically there are TWO automatic modes on the F-70 EXR, the EXR mode and the standard Automatic Mode. So focus on really learning that EXR mode and things should improve quickly.

Have a great day. I have attached a photo sample for you.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 5:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
You can go here and play with a virtual camera and see how the different settings affect your image

http://dryreading.com/camera/index.html
That is really informative, interesting and fun!

But one question...it seems that under any circumstance the lowest ISO setting gives the sharpest picture. Is there any reason why one would not use the lowest ISO setting possible unless you actually want your picture to have a noisy/grainy look?
furoido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:17 AM   #6

Furoido-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

Typically in an outdoor, well lighted photo environment that is exactly what you would normally do. However, if you are looking to extend the dynamic range you may do two things: reduce the ISO and increase the DR.

I have attached a shorting shoot guide that I discovered for the Fuji F-70 EXR camera, as I was having some difficulty with the EXR system and the camera. It works quite well.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:20 AM   #7
Super Moderator

I can vouch for those settings. Kim Letkemen (the author of them) spent alot of time testing the various methods, and many other shooters have confirmed them.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 7:33 PM   #8

That was exactly what I was looking for! Thanks guys!

Just one final question: on my old Canon PowerShot, its got one setting that I really love to use - 'sunset'. It basically makes colours come out incredibly rich, especially yellows and is also fantastic for creating very strong shadows indoors. Does the Fuji F70EXR have a similar setting?
furoido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 7:35 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by furoido View Post

Just one final question: on my old Canon PowerShot, its got one setting that I really love to use - 'sunset'. It basically makes colours come out incredibly rich, especially yellows and is also fantastic for creating very strong shadows indoors. Does the Fuji F70EXR have a similar setting?
use the Velvia/Vivid Film Simulation.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by furoido View Post

If you look at samples, canon has bland colors and fuji already has colors that are saturated like nikon or a bit more saturated. I'm not too sure about this camera model but I have seen canon's color. We had some wedding pictures from my cousin's and I guessed it right...canon. They are bland compared to fuji and nikon. Panasonic is also bland.

Last edited by Cresho; Jan 9, 2010 at 2:02 AM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote