Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:02 AM   #1

Default Best Setting for F70EXR

I got my wife a F70 for her bday to replace her F31. She is having trouble getting good pics with this camera. Right now everything is set at the defaults and she is shooting in auto mode.

How can she get better pics with this camera. Right now she isnt using it and staying with her F31.
Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2009, 6:32 PM   #2

The F31 was actually a very good camera. In the F70, they increased the MP, put in a smaller sensor, and substituted a slower lens with a much larger zoom range (bound to create distortion at some portion of the range). I guess Fuji thought the EXR thing would compensate for optics and the laws of physics.

In order to salvage your butt, however, post a couple of the unsatisfactory pics (with EXIF data intact, please), and maybe we can figure out a workaround.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 10:12 AM   #3

THanks. I will have to gather some pics. I bought this camera to get something newer and smaller. The zoom wasnt a plus for me. I just needed a good camera that is compact. I am getting a canon dslr for the family for xmas. So the p&s will be our secondary camera when taking the dslr isnt practical.

If you were getting a compact p&s what would you be looking at?
Old Dec 5, 2009, 2:36 PM   #4

Which Canon are you getting the family for Christmas, Netman?

I'm the wrong guy to ask about compacts, because I'm not really a fan of tiny cameras. However, I was rather keen on the F100fd at one point, because I had seen some very impressive low light pics taken with them. I thought the F100 actually outperformed the F200EXR. I haven't really seen any real world pics taken with the F70EXR...unless you show me a couple...

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 2:52 PM   #5

I got the xsi kit and the 55-250mm a few weeks back when canon was offering an instant $200 rebate. Kind of kicking myself for not getting the t1i even though i dont really need the video. I also got a 50mm 1.8 lens. I just need to get a 430 flash.

I have the xsi listed on craigslist and if i sell it i will get the T1i. If not I will just stick with the XSi.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:24 AM   #6

netman-

The Canon XSi is still a very good camera. Regarding your wife's photos. Let me share this with you. There is something of a learing curve with the new Fuji EXR system. I got the F-70EXR right after Thanksgiving. But i did not have sufficient time to devote to learning it. So, I set it aside and dealt with the justle and bustle of Christmas. After Christmas in the last few days, when I have had more time I did a good deal of reading and learning. The result is that my photos with the F-70 EXR has improved measurably! So that is why I said to be aware of the learning curve that accompanies the EXR system. Here is a photo sample attached.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:05 AM   #7

Can you share any tips for the F70? What is the best setting to use?

We havent messed with it much since the xsi and trying to learn that. Its very different than a p&s camera.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:49 AM   #8

netman-

You are very correct when you state:"It is very different tha a p&s camera.

I shoot in the EXR Mode, ISO limit 1600, size M or Medium, the DR set to 400%, and the film simulation set either to Velvia or Astria.

Once you have that set up, the F-70EXR essentially becomes a fully automatic point and shoot camera, excepting for the times in which you need some Exposure Compensation, or Macro

If you need flash you have to come out of the EXR Mode and go to regular Automatic Mode (the little Red Camera Logo) as flash is not an option in the EXR Mode. The ProFocus option is on the SP setting of the Mode Selector.

The key is setting up the camera initially.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote