Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 21, 2003, 4:37 PM   #11

Quote:
And why I like 3MP? Biggest resolution I can afford - is 2048x1456 on 21'' monitor - 3 millions of pixels. And it's enough for 10x15 fotoprint. Why need more? Why need 6MP, if it has same level of details?
I hope one day I will buy SD10 and will be happy.
The S7000 doesn't shoot in a 6 megapixel native mode, it downsamples an interpolated 12 megapixel capture to six megapixels.

There is a significant difference in resolution between the six megapixel downsample and twelve megapixel native capture. The six megapixel downsampled image has around 1450 lp horizontal and 1400 lp vertical. The 12 megapixel capture measures 1650 vertical and 1600 horizontal - both higher in measured resolution than the SD10 or SD9.

This is not to say that the S7000 takes better images than the SD9 or SD10; it doesn't. But the measured resolution of a resolution chart is higher.

There is a good amount of noise, much of which is produced by over compressing the S7000 images in the jpg mode. By shooting in RAW mode and converting to an 8 bit tiff, the noise levels are greatly reduced and the image quality is truly outstanding.

There is some degree of chromatic aberration, but it's easily corrected and the sharpness is excellent at the default mode.

It's not a good day to try to photograph anything here in Colorado, but over the following week I will try to get some images taken in multiple modes for you to compare. Let me know what you would like them compared with and I will try to accommodate you.

I have cameras at .7 megapixel, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.2, 3.4, 4.1, 5.1, 6.3, 11, etc., so let me know. I have Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Epson, Sony, Pentax, etc., so I can compare it with two or three others.

I find the images it produces quite good overall. I wish it had less jpg compression, but can shoot in the RAW mode and convert. I also wish Fuji would produce a real RAW converter which let the user make adjustments "before" converting, but they have not as yet done so.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2003, 5:33 PM   #12

Quote:
The 12 megapixel capture measures 1650 vertical and 1600 horizontal - both higher in measured resolution than the SD10 or SD9.
where this info obtained from?
SuperCCD 4 in S7000 has 6 millions - 3M green, 1.5M red and 1.5M blue sensors.
Simple calc
  1. 3MP from S7000 will have 3M in each channel:
    3M green - no interpolation
    1,5M blue - interp. 2x
    1,5M blue - interp. 2x
  1. 6MP from S7000 will have 6M in each channel:
    3M green - interp. 2x
    1,5M blue - interp. 4x
    1,5M blue - interp. 4x
interp.4x means 1 sensor participate in 4 result. pixels.
From where could appear any difference?
All this interpolation I can obtain in PhotoShop before large-size printing.

Foveon has 9 millions of sensors - 3MP for every channel.
Let's compare Digital Rebel's 6MP
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...2/CRW_0210.jpg
and SD10's 3MP
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...s/IMG09626.jpg
Look close (magnify 200%) to roof tiles or letters on the glass door. You'll see it pretty similar.
Klyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2003, 5:39 PM   #13

Quote:
I have cameras at .7 megapixel, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.2, 3.4, 4.1, 5.1, 6.3, 11, etc., so let me know. I have Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Epson, Sony, Pentax, etc., so I can compare it with two or three others.
Wow, man. :shock:
I would like to see how 3 and 6 MP from Fuji are corresponding to usual 3.2 and 6.3 matrix. If there's any gain/loose. Thanx for advance.
Klyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2003, 5:53 PM   #14

Hi Kylak,

Yes, thanks - I'm familiar with the Foveon (Sigma) - I bought the first one available from B&H and would probably still have it if I could have justified buying an entire new lens system, but I already have both Kodak (Nikon) and Canon lens systems for my professional cameras and couldn't see buying a complete Sigma lens system for one camera body. The SD10 is a nice improvement over the SD9, being considerably better in higher ISO performance with less noise, and having micro-lens which improve somewhat on aliasing.

The resolution measurements come from Phil Askey's recent review of a Minolta 5 megapixel camera when he compared the Minolta's resolution to both an S7000 and a Sony F717. Both these cameras have higher measured resolution than the SD9/SD10, but the "extinction" resolution is higher on the Sigma. The Sigma produces better usable resolution with distant subjects than the S7000 in my experience, but the S7000 has higher measured resolution on the charts. The differences may or may not be due to the lenses since there are excellent Sigma glass available and we have only the fixed lens on the S7000.

The S7000 doesn't really compare with the SD10 overall. After all it's a consumer grade camera, regardless of how Fuji might position it. Fuji tends to try and position all of their better cameras as "professional" models. Even the S1/S2 are much more like the Canon 10D and Nikon D100 than like any true professional model (Nikon D1H, D2H - Canon 1D, 1DS, Kodak DCS-760, etc.).

Here is a link to Phil's Minolta test - go to the last "compared with" and you can see the horizontal and vertical resolution charts of the Minolta 5 megapixel, the Sony 5 megapixel and the S7000. For the S7000 both the six megapixel and 12 megapixel images were used to photograph the resolution chart and the measurements reflect the differences.

Lin

go to the link below and scroll down to the res - charts.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/mino...ea1/page20.asp
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 11:37 PM   #15

Lin,

For convertion you can use freeware utility called s7raw. http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconVa...919/s7raw.html

I guess it will allow you to do all the adjustment you want. May be not all but a lot.
By the way, I agree with you on resolution of S7000, but after noise cleanup, if you shoot outside, all this fine detail will be lost. I took a picture of my carpet at home and there were lots of details. Unfortunately after noise removallots of them were gone. Not that I need a photo of my carpet :-).

Thanks,

Alex

s7000User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 2:56 AM   #16

Forgive me if I am wrong but I used to have S7000 and took more than 100 pics , both indoor and outdoor. Most of them are unacceptable noise level ( at 6MP, ISO 200, chrome mode) and too much red tone. I just get rid of it and bought the Sigma SD9 off from eBay ( willhave it next week). I read allpros and cons of SD9, but I think the sharpness, noise level, and color of SD9 are better than S7000. I will test it when I have theSD9.
nhh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 1:02 AM   #17

nhh66 wrote:
Quote:
Forgive me if I am wrong but I used to have S7000 and took more than 100 pics , both indoor and outdoor. Most of them are unacceptable noise level ( at 6MP, ISO 200, chrome mode) and too much red tone. I just get rid of it and bought the Sigma SD9 off from eBay ( willhave it next week). I read allpros and cons of SD9, but I think the sharpness, noise level, and color of SD9 are better than S7000. I will test it when I have theSD9.

I've had my S7000 for two and a half years or so, I get many excellent pics from both 12mp fine soft and RAW. I have to wonder if you might have gotten a defective unit or if you were judging results based on what you saw on yourmonitor screen at 100% or 200%. My pics usually look good on mycomputer monitorwhen resized for viewing (without resizing you are attempting to look at an image that is several times larger than yourmonitor screen), but the real test for me is how the images look when printed on a good photo printer. And I can tell you that my S7000 (and those of many others) can produce some very nice images when printed (and I've done a lot of 8.5"x11" prints), good enough that I will not be planning to upgrade any time soon. Obviously each of our wants and needs are different and perhaps the S7000 did not produce the results you desired, but for myself and many others it performs well.

Clyde

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 5:18 PM   #18

Lin Evans wrote:
Quote:
The S7000 doesn't shoot in a 6 megapixel native mode, it downsamples an interpolated 12 megapixel capture to six megapixels.

There is a significant difference in resolution between the six megapixel downsample and twelve megapixel native capture.

Not exactly. The S7000 is a 6 megapixel camera that can interpolate those 6 million pixels into 12 million. It's still a 6 megapixel camera. Like the S9000 is a 9 megapixel camera. In RAW, it interpolates those 9 million pixels as 18 million resulting in a 4896 X 3688 (18MP) file. It's still a 9mp camera.

Themain advantage of interlacing scans (Fuji SuperCCD) is noise reduction.

honus402 is offline   Reply With Quote