Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 11, 2010, 8:54 AM   #11

I found these comments about the speed of the memory cards used with this camera:

"The S200EXR is certainly light on its feet for such a large and complex camera. It starts up in a little over 2.5 seconds, and shuts down again in just under two seconds. In single-shot mode it has a shot-to-shot time of approximately 1.1 seconds at full 12-megapixel resolution, although after six shots it does slow down to approximate 1.7 seconds as the buffer fills up. There appeared to be no detectable benefit from using a faster class 10 SD card. The camera has several burst shooting modes including first six or last six at full resolution, or high-speed first 24 and last 24 at three-megapixel resolution. It also has exposure, film simulation and dynamic range bracketing, but it has no actual unlimited continuous mode. In the full-res modes it shoots at 1.6fps. "

From this review:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/digita...Pix-S200EXR/p4

So according to this reviewer my choice of the class 6 was enough.

I'm looking forward to using this camera at the racetrack this year where my wife might be able to get a few better shots than was previously possible from my 6900Zoom. The shutter delay was an issue and the autofocus had to be turned off to get these rapid fire successive shots but considering the technology/price/operator she did OK at the time. From inside my car be I'll shooting video with the Sanyo HD1010 utilizing an external mic to pickup engine noise. Otherwise the car is too quiet. The yellow car crossing the finish line was the target here.

From 6900Z
Attached Images

Last edited by staats; Jan 12, 2010 at 8:17 AM.
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 9:31 AM   #12

Those are pretty good shots for a pocket camera. Was the picture taken zoomed in or just wide angle? I would of zoomed in personally but then again the racetrack would be missing huh.

Good pictures none the less.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:05 AM   #13

Well I wouldn't classify a Fujifilm 6900Z as a pocket camera.

Pretty GD big pockets! ;>)

The issue here was that this camera from 2001 had a lot of shutter delay and so she was not that certain when it would actually begin recording images. It was set for manual focus and I think we had it setup for shutter priority. She wasn't in the best location to capture close-up pictures of my car but with this composition she was assured of having it in the shots and you can see the progession versus the finish line. Better to have others cars anyway. Not so boring that way.

Anyay, the point is I think with the new F-200EXR and the AF turned off she should be able to do much better than this with much higher resolution shots. I hope ...
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:06 PM   #14

Amazing! I didn't want to assume but those pictures still look good. When you reduce the size and re compress the images, you just can't tell what did what or what is what? Now that you mention it, the colors look a little bland. Still good shots for a a camera that is almost 10 years old. I still have a s3800 I love taking pictures with. My profile has a few pics as well. I do see alot of jpeg artifacts and lots of bad resizing if I wanted to talk about the quality but I assumed this was a f200exr user forum and I also assumed you resized the pictures. Posting those threw me off. LOL!

Post some shots when you get a chance! your yellow car should stand out even more!

Last edited by Cresho; Jan 11, 2010 at 11:17 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:14 AM   #15

Well we're real ama-tours around here ... Plus, when I'm at the track cameras take a back seat to car prep, driving and safety. A big back seat. Here's a couple more once again from the 6900Z but I'll be back with the "big improvements" from the racetrack using the F-200EXR next summer plus some vacation shots in about 10 days.
Attached Images

Last edited by staats; Jan 12, 2010 at 8:23 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:58 AM   #16

The new camera arrived yesterday so now the learning begins. A bit dissapointed that there's no printed users manual just a quick guide. I always liked having a pocket manual that I could fit in my camera bag. I printed the PDF 4 pages per sheet double sided and will carry that on the plane today but it's not as handy.

It's big!

Bob S.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:44 AM   #17

Bob-

Please understand that the EXR system on your new S-200 is a good deal different than the exposure system that you are used to on the 6900. I have attached a small field guide that was put together by Kim Letkeman to try to simplfy things. This field guide is tried and tested by hundreds of photographers, and has sort of become the "shooting bible" for the EXR System.

Also keep in mind that in most EXR modes the camera is using pixel binning and the resulting images will only be 1/2 of the camera's native resolution.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:56 PM   #18

Thanks Sarah. I'll try that out as I begin my adventure.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 7:19 AM   #19

Thanks for the Excellent Guide Sarah. I have always been using the Manual mode setting the Dynamic range manually. Personally, I preferred the Manual mode compared to the EXR modes.

Your guide is an eye opener. Thanks again.
paray2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 9:51 AM   #20

the s-200 is an excellent camera, and there is a learning curve to it-i am a a member at the fuji forum at DPR and kim is on the verge of being banned there permanantly because of his abusive posting practices-he does not own the s-200, he tried it out at a store for a few hours and he has owned 2 fuji cameras, a f11 and a f70, and he was known as a major critic of fuji cameras in general and is one of those people who thinks he can do it better and brings very little to the table-yes he has a blog and website of a lot of nice mundane images, but thats all they are nice mundane images-there are many more resources available for learning to use the s-200, i have no beef with him at all, but ive also had to read his posts for the last 4 yrs and his stuff is not considered the bible of exr photography, not by a long shot, and like i said he doesnt even own the camera. if you go by what kim posts , you are going to get a very biased view on how to use the camera, and you will be missing out on some of the better ways to use the cameras to their full potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Bob-

Please understand that the EXR system on your new S-200 is a good deal different than the exposure system that you are used to on the 6900. I have attached a small field guide that was put together by Kim Letkeman to try to simplfy things. This field guide is tried and tested by hundreds of photographers, and has sort of become the "shooting bible" for the EXR System.

Also keep in mind that in most EXR modes the camera is using pixel binning and the resulting images will only be 1/2 of the camera's native resolution.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
nomad147 is offline   Reply With Quote