Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:27 AM   #21

Can you give a list of a few places to go and learn?

I just spent a week in California trying the camera out. Weather cut it down to 2 days of decent conditions. Tragically, a dog made an attempt at eating my SDHC card so I have zero to show for it! But from what little I could see after a quick view on a friends HDTV before the damn dog struck it did pretty well in tough circumstances in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to operate it as yet. I was taking a lot of indoor pictures in the new SF Aquarium and photos of fish through glass in low light were a lot better than expected.

I was very glad I had an extra battery and a portable charger.

The auto off was a bit annoying so I set it to stay on longer which may have caused the battery to go faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad147 View Post
the s-200 is an excellent camera, and there is a learning curve to it-i am a a member at the fuji forum at DPR and kim is on the verge of being banned there permanantly because of his abusive posting practices-he does not own the s-200, he tried it out at a store for a few hours and he has owned 2 fuji cameras, a f11 and a f70, and he was known as a major critic of fuji cameras in general and is one of those people who thinks he can do it better and brings very little to the table-yes he has a blog and website of a lot of nice mundane images, but thats all they are nice mundane images-there are many more resources available for learning to use the s-200, i have no beef with him at all, but ive also had to read his posts for the last 4 yrs and his stuff is not considered the bible of exr photography, not by a long shot, and like i said he doesnt even own the camera. if you go by what kim posts , you are going to get a very biased view on how to use the camera, and you will be missing out on some of the better ways to use the cameras to their full potential.
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:55 PM   #22

this camera has a learning curve to it, like the other 2 exr cameras-kims printout should only be used as a reference to help you along, it should not be your bible-like i said he doesnt own the camera , he tried one out for a few hours, thats it-he is very knowledgable about photography, but is also very close minded about it also, thats why you need to check out other resources-first i would reccomend the fujiforum at DPR, there is a lot of people there that use the camera and they are very friendly and are MORE than willing to help you out-second is the fuji forum at photo camel, they have a couple of s-200 users that post there-then i would check out the users group on flickr, and then i would search facebook for a users group-the best thing about using the camera is that its digital, you dont like the image delete it, and dont try to master the camera in one week either-start with one setting, and work on that one setting, wether it be a, p, s, m, etc..or exr high res, low iso, pro sharpness, etc....work with the one setting put the camera through its paces and go and have some fun, when you learn the one setting, move on to the next one-i've taught photography for over 20 years, the number one thing is patience, and dont expect pro results immediatly-it doesnt work like that, but any experienced amature should be able to make the s-200 scream in a few weeks-go out and have some fun, and check out some of the other forums-
nomad147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 2:01 PM   #23
Super Moderator

also, that printout is for the F70EXR specifically, not the F200EXR or S200EXR, both of which use a totally different sensor and sharpening/noise algorithms. so the rule of staying in M mode always isn't as solid.

nomad gave some good advice for the 200s.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 6:53 PM   #24

I agree with nomad-

The Fuji S-200EXR is a very different camera when compared to the F-70EXR. It is a very capable camera and it does have a learning curve to it that is similar to, but still different form the F-70EXR.

Today I was experimenting with the non EXR portion of the S-200 by using the Program Mode and Std Film Simulation, and I was please with the results/ A sample photo is attached. F 4.5 1/42nd of a second, ISO 400 DR-400% STD film Simulation

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 6:56 PM   #25

Here is a 100% crop of the above photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:51 AM   #26

Thank you very much for the ideas. I will check them out.

Bob S.

Quote:
this camera has a learning curve to it, like the other 2 exr cameras-kims printout should only be used as a reference to help you along, it should not be your bible-like i said he doesnt own the camera , he tried one out for a few hours, thats it-he is very knowledgable about photography, but is also very close minded about it also, thats why you need to check out other resources-first i would reccomend the fujiforum at DPR, there is a lot of people there that use the camera and they are very friendly and are MORE than willing to help you out-second is the fuji forum at photo camel, they have a couple of s-200 users that post there-then i would check out the users group on flickr, and then i would search facebook for a users group-the best thing about using the camera is that its digital, you dont like the image delete it, and dont try to master the camera in one week either-start with one setting, and work on that one setting, wether it be a, p, s, m, etc..or exr high res, low iso, pro sharpness, etc....work with the one setting put the camera through its paces and go and have some fun, when you learn the one setting, move on to the next one-i've taught photography for over 20 years, the number one thing is patience, and dont expect pro results immediatly-it doesnt work like that, but any experienced amature should be able to make the s-200 scream in a few weeks-go out and have some fun, and check out some of the other forums-
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 4:21 PM   #27

Default Everyone wants to be a critic :-)

Quote:
the s-200 is an excellent camera, and there is a learning curve to it-i am a a member at the fuji forum at DPR and kim is on the verge of being banned there permanantly because of his abusive posting practices-
Am I really?

Quote:
he does not own the s-200, he tried it out at a store for a few hours and he has owned 2 fuji cameras
I've never even held an S200EXR in my hands. But, as you may or may not know, one does not have to shoot every copy of a sensor to understand how it will respond.

Quote:
a f11 and a f70
And an F10, Z10, F80EXR and F300EXR ... are you doubting my commitment to Fuji?

Quote:
and he was known as a major critic of fuji cameras in general
Really? I remember arguing with people who oversold what Fuji bridge cameras can do ...

Quote:
and is one of those people who thinks he can do it better and brings very little to the table
And in quite a few cases, I really can and I bring a lot to the table.

Quote:
yes he has a blog and website of a lot of nice mundane images, but thats all they are nice mundane images

Quote:
there are many more resources available for learning to use the s-200, i have no beef with him at all
Yeah, sure ...

Quote:
but ive also had to read his posts for the last 4 yrs and his stuff is not considered the bible of exr photography, not by a long shot,
Poor you ...

I don't remember holding a gun to your head to force you to read my posts and blog. And my stuff might not be the bible, but about 30,000 unique pageviews on my two EXR "how to shoot" articles alone say that someone out there reads them, and the average time on page is over 3.5 minutes ...

Quote:
and like i said he doesnt even own the camera. if you go by what kim posts , you are going to get a very biased view on how to use the camera, and you will be missing out on some of the better ways to use the cameras to their full potential.
And I note that you posted nothing as an alternative. That is typical of critics whose agenda is based on personalities ... lots of heat and light, absolutely no fire.
kletkeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 3:05 AM   #28

I have the F200 EXR. Same sensor as the S200 EXR.

The main settings I use, for daylight use, are
:
P Mode, Fine (Medium), DR 200%, Astia (soft), minus 0.33 EV, ISO 400 (Auto)

A couple of notes on the above - Astia gives better colour and soft gradations. Not soft in terms of focus. You can also set it to ISO 800 (Auto). Setting to Medium means that you will have a 6mp image, but as the camera is combining pixels, the output is cleaner and with very good fine detail.

For low light use :
EXR SN Mode, Astia, ISO 1600 (Auto), minus 0.67 EV (or minus 0.33 EV)

EXR SN Mode reduces the colour noise. You will still get some shadow noise, but keeping the EV lower helps to improve this, and also to control highlights as it only uses DR 100%.

Have a look here also :
http://eyemindsoul.blogspot.com/2010...r-sn-mode.html

Using the above two settings means that you can easily switch between daylight (P Mode) and low light shooting (EXR SN Mode). For both settings, I simply use Auto White Balance.

If you click the link below, you will find many images both straight from camera and edited. Many of the settings used are listed above the images. Keep in mind that they are from when I first got the camera, and my settings have changed as I have used it more.

Here is the link :

http://www.pixplanet.biz/pixplanet-other_stuff_2.htm

PS - Some people recommend using EXR DR Mode. I don't, as I find it introduces too much noise and also sharpening artifacts.

Last edited by EyeMindSoul; Nov 15, 2010 at 3:07 AM. Reason: format correction
EyeMindSoul is offline   Reply With Quote