Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 28, 2009, 4:24 PM   #1

Default Any Fuji F-200EXR Users Out There?

Hi there, Folks-

I have been sold on the EXR system. I am getting excellent results with my F-70EXR and would like to expand, I am considering both the F-200EXR and the S-200EXR (about the size of a Nikon D-3000 DSLR, I am told) cameras.

So I would reallyb appreciate any info and input that you might be able to add to this thread.

Thanks in advance, and have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:21 PM   #2

Default It's you and I!

Anyway, I just purchased the camera myself and I am an "enthusiast". I almost purchased a nikon but I am not that type of guy. Canon was my second choice because it's what people use the most. Fuji is where the sweet spot is.

Anyway, ill be posting some pics soon. My camera should arrive anytime within the next 3 days. I am also considering a f300exr or the f70exr for backup.

What are your thoughts on these 2 jewels?

I'm gona start off with some backyard shots and work my way to the beach, city, and mountains. THen ill do some night city shots. I like driving around taking pictures of just about anything that interests me or has
"the look!"

here is my ...damn i cant find my accounts..ill post later.

Last edited by Cresho; Jan 7, 2010 at 12:28 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:40 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
Anyway, I just purchased the camera myself and I am an "enthusiast". I almost purchased a nikon but I am not that type of guy. Canon was my second choice because it's what people use the most. Fuji is where the sweet spot is.

Anyway, ill be posting some pics soon. My camera should arrive anytime within the next 3 days. I am also considering a f300exr or the f70exr for backup.

What are your thoughts on these 2 jewels?

I'm gona start off with some backyard shots and work my way to the beach, city, and mountains. THen ill do some night city shots. I like driving around taking pictures of just about anything that interests me or has
"the look!"

here is my ...damn i cant find my accounts..ill post later.

congratulations Cresho, looking forward to seeing some results.

you can see some of my examples from the F70EXR as you are deciding on a smaller backup.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:54 PM   #4

I'm thinking about one of these. My last one was a 6900 so they've changed a bit ... ;>)

This stuff always seems hard to nail down so I thought I'd ask here.

Memory cards. I'm using 8GB class 4 Sandisk on my Sanyo Xacti 1010 with no problems.

1. Can I use the same cards on this carmera? I see them labeled for video and camera use. What's the story?

2. Max size card this camera will use? 8,16,32 ?

3. Does a faster card do me any good with the write time of a shot to the card?

4. Is class 4 good enough?

Thanks.

Bob S.
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
congratulations Cresho, looking forward to seeing some results.

you can see some of my examples from the F70EXR as you are deciding on a smaller backup.

ahhh...thanks! I'll be taking a look at your shots.

update:
Just looked at them. You have a good "eye" there. Those f70exr shots are very good.

Last edited by Cresho; Jan 7, 2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by staats View Post
I'm thinking about one of these. My last one was a 6900 so they've changed a bit ... ;>)

This stuff always seems hard to nail down so I thought I'd ask here.

Memory cards. I'm using 8GB class 4 Sandisk on my Sanyo Xacti 1010 with no problems.

1. Can I use the same cards on this carmera? I see them labeled for video and camera use. What's the story?

2. Max size card this camera will use? 8,16,32 ?

3. Does a faster card do me any good with the write time of a shot to the card?

4. Is class 4 good enough?

Thanks.

Bob S.
hey bob, I don't know if you seen me around the sanyo section. I use the hd1000 myself and have 2 16gb sd cards, and 2 8gb microsd card as well with adaptors and they all work.

class 4? i will be checking this out myself. I am assuming you want to do some rapid firing am I wrong?
Old Jan 8, 2010, 6:05 AM   #7

Yes I do remember seeing you from when I was investigating the HD1000.

Yes that's exactly what I'm trying to determine. This is really pretty silly. There must be a no bullsh*t spot on the web that defines what this is all about. I'm sick of the the techno marketing hype but here must be various reasons why professionals use the much more expensive versions?

Like what's difference between these:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mory_Card.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_HD_SDHC.html

This Fulifilm 8GB is class 6 so it should be faster but can this camera even take advantage of it?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mory_Card.html

Why is this one so much more?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...II_Secure.html

Then there's this one, a waste of money?:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...II_Secure.html

I'd just like to find a definition of this stuff so I can make a decision. I'm ordering from BHphoto today for a trip next week and I want eveything I need for the camera. So it's an extra battery, a couple SDHC cards and either a new combo car&plug-in charger or perhaps the one I got for my XACTIHD1010 just needs a new adapter plate. That one works great!

This F-200EXR looks like it will fit the bill for me. I already have an extensive set of lenses on my film camera a Konica FT-1 and when I got the Fujifilm 6900 in 2000 it was pretty good but the shutter delay and battery issues always made it a pain to use. The lens was limited. The external battery pack helped but that gets to be cumbersome as well. Early technology. It took some decent photos though.

So it "looks" like this camera will better address these issues. I'm not expecting perfection but I did want the manual focus and zoom rings. I don't like motorized zooms.

Bob S.

Last edited by staats; Jan 8, 2010 at 7:28 AM.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:08 AM   #8

There are no absolute definition in determining the speed! From what I read, other users cannot figure out what is going on.

for my hd1000, I have a
adata 16gb class 6
kingston 16gb class 4

Both work just about the same on that camera. I just purchased a fujifilm s200exr, I'll be testing the "rapid fire" and post my results later on. I'm expecting the camera sometime today or in 3 days.

I think experience is the key thing here. You will never know how the transfer rate within a camera holds as well as a sd card reader during data transfer.

on my current setup:
kingston i get a 5MB/sec uploading a 700mb video (class 4 card mind you)

adata I get a 5MB-6MB/sec uploading the same video (class 6 card mind you)

I noticed that my adata went from 9MB and dropped down to 5MB towards the end. I am not sure if its buffer related or what but my suspicion here is my USB peaked during data transfer and ran out of buffering on my pc that may or may not be holding the sd cards full transfer rate capacity.

Looking at the f200exr,it states top 12 or or final 12 or top 3 or final 3 and also continuous. THIS is they key thing here when I say experience is preferred but from my suspicion on reading:
top or final 12- doesn't mention mega pixels but I take it it uses the 12 frames
top or final 3 the same but in higher quality.

continuous is around 1.4 frames per second at max quality i suspect and in this case, about 6mb/sec is needed so a class 6 is preferred. BUT it's boarder lining from tests. This is where we see how good the buffering in the f200exr. class 6 sounds just about right for continuous firing. class 4 will work as well but we need to see how well the buffering holds within the f200exr. (also i forgot to mention that with a class 4 transfer rate, it went from 5 to 6 as well during data transfer in MB). SHould be good!

Yes also card brand matters sometimes. Ill post my results of my s200exr later on.

Last edited by Cresho; Jan 11, 2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:25 AM   #9

Well I just got off the phone with Fujifilm's tech center and I asked about the speed of the SDHC cards.

1. Up to 32GB.
2. No reason to get any faster than class 4 for the camera's operation. He said it's not going to introduce any additional delay while taking or processing pictures. I hope he knows what he's talking about. From reading about this camera the internal buffer accepts the images first and then they're written to the card. He claims it won't go any faster to the card with a class 6 or better card.

I've been working in the computer hardware/software field for 30 years so I generally know something of how this stuff typically works but in this case I know nothing specific. If it's not a handshaking scheme on memory transfers then it's dependant upon the card meeting the raw timing capability of the camera so faster won't help because the clock speed is set by the camera. I haven't gotten any information that the camera can operate at a variety of speeds for the SDHC cards. But faster won't hurt anything.

I guess your card will upload to your PC faster though.

3. Only use Sandisk or Fujifilm brand cards. ;>)) OK, but if it's a decent quality card and it meets specs why not?

Last edited by staats; Jan 8, 2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:54 AM   #10

here's 3 f-200 panos i did a few months ago in newport, ri-all images are straight out of camera-

the bottom image is slighty skewed as i did not straighten it properly-i did all these images hand held and stitched them in PTGui-i own the s-200, the f-70 and the f-200, i REALLY like the f-200, it is an amazing camera and i use it as my daily walk around camera, i think it is much easier to use than the f-70 and i think the lens is much better, but i think the f-70 and the s-200 are very good cameras and they are very well priced-i think if you buy any one of them, you can't go wrong. enjoy which ever one you buy.
nomad147 is offline   Reply With Quote