Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:55 PM   #21
Administrator

Upgrade to a newer release. LOL

Or, if you're an Ubuntu fan and don't want to mess around with installing codecs and plugins, give something like the new Linux Mint 8 a try (it can use packages from the Ubuntu 9.10 repos). I've got it on my wife's laptop right now, along with SimplyMEPIS 8.5 beta 3 (which is using a combination of packages from Debian Stable and Testing, with a newer kernel). She likes it (Linux Mint 8).

FWIW, I just tried the Windows version of Raw Therapee 3.0 Alpha 1 under Wine after seeing your post, and that works (at least with the version of Wine I'm running right now, which is the 1.1.35 development versus stable release). So, that may be an option of your linux install is too old for it. Right this second, I'm running under OpenSUSE 11.2 on an old P4. I've got my newer PCs in pieces right this minute, rearranging drives, etc., and getting ready to turn one of them into a PVR using MythTV of some flavor (probably Mythbuntu). I'm not normally an OpenSUSE user. But, I just happened to have a CD sitting around with it on it and installed it to give it a test drive.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 1:21 PM   #22
Administrator

I see you removed your posts (so, my last post probably doesn't make much sense to readers). :-)

Anyway, it looks like you got it working OK without worrying about upgrading anything.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 1:54 PM   #23

Ya I posted nonsense. Basically what I was saying is i downloaded the files; they are built already and run on my linux box. I use the sh script to launch it. It works fine so I'm not worried about getting it to run. I'm just waiting for the camera to get shipped. It is in route and I'm waiting for its arrival. Sucks, i have had lots of time for the past 3 days and no camera. They don't sell this camera around here. Just nikon and canon. So I have no raw files to work with....maybe ill look for some on the net while i wait.

UPDATE!!! it's HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I fell like a kid opening up his Christmas present on Christmas day. Hope it doesn't disappoint.

You see? I'm posting more nonsense!

Last edited by Cresho; Jan 14, 2010 at 1:56 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 2:03 PM   #24
Administrator

I'd probably consider upgrading to a newer linux distro anyway.

That way, you'd have easy access (a few mouse clicks) to newer versions of other digital imaging applications via a newer distro's repositories. For example, the newer 1.0.0 version of digiKam is really nice (it's a *huge* improvement over the older 0.9.x versions available in something like Hardy's default repositories).

BTW, Linux Mint 8 is a very nice distro using Ubuntu repos that you may want to try, since it has lots of preinstalled browser plugins and codecs, with it's own software repository, in addition to being able to use any of the software available for Ubuntu 9.10. My wife is using it now and she really likes it. Here's a review of it:

http://danlynch.org/blog/2009/12/mint8/
Old Jan 14, 2010, 2:16 PM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
UPDATE!!! it's HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I fell like a kid opening up his Christmas present on Christmas day.

Let us know how you like it.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 3:23 PM   #26

I'll take a look at mint 8 but my problem is i run high definition tuner, an analog tv tuner to record vhs tapes, i have a gaming rig as well, after hardy, newer drivers do not work with x to well. They are bleeding edge. Debian runs fine. Mint 8 i might look at but I'm pretty much happy with hardy LTS. I'm going to wait till it expires. I downloaded medibuntu and also hardy repos incase it goes extinct. It runs everything i want perfectly.

I use Google picasa for picture viewer. I tried all others, my second choice is gwenview and digikam tied. I hate f-spot because its too slow to render pictures and doesnt use openGL for sideshow like picasa. Picasa is light years ahead of it.

anyway, I took some pictures testing out the quality of the images. I came to the conclusion I will be shooting at the highest resolution possible because it grabs objects much better.

The medium size pics up better textures but less objects or silhouette.

Im testing out other things. I have a feeling I am going to take a good week just fiddling with the camera until i find something I like. Lots of excellent options.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 4:04 PM   #27
Administrator

The newer 1.0.0 version of digiKam is *much* faster. ;-)

If you like Debian, wait until SimplyMEPIS 8.5 goes final. It's using a combination of Debian Stable and Testing repositories with a newer kernel. I'd skip beta 4 as it's a bit rough around the edges compared to Beta 3, and too many changes are going on with it right now.

It's got digiKam 1.0.0 in it's repos, along with the latest 1.0.0 release of the kipi plugins. My guess is that Warren (the developer) with have at least a couple of more pre-releases before it goes final.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:51 AM   #28

I tried kbuntu karmic koala which has the latest repos and ubuntu spares none dated software. Digikam and gwenview are really nice! I was using kubuntu with openshot video editor which in my opinion has some of the best wipe effects ever in any software. renders full HD videos in minutes but thats not the point. I had trouble gaming and watching HD videos on it since the kernel and software are so new and almost beta which is bleeding edge stuff. I Also had problems with the kwin rendering of KDE 4.2 or 3. gnome and compiz was also a problem. Think it was 4.3 for kde which was slow on my nvidia card. I had to custom built scripts to make these runs but...that's now what I wanted to talk about since now I'm ramblin again.

ill look at mint 8...I thought this was proprietary stuff?! like its backed by major companies that want money?! am I wrong?

anyway, I have my s200exr and I LOVE IT! I took a few pictures in raw and raw therapy works like a charm. I can grab some of the best images I can squeeze out of the camera. I'm afraid raw is the way to go if you want picture perfect. This is way better than my s2000hd. I cant wait for my pocket f200exr or f70exr.

The EXR is incredible for night shots and I can force iso 100 for night shots but the only draw back it becomes a 6mp camera but the sharpness and iso noise is so low I rather live like this than 12mp noisy blurry pics. Very nice!

im almost done finalizing my favorite settings for "on the go" and The pictures i am taking are just gorgeous. I can say that I am having so much fun. I dont need to screw around with the "DSLR" quirks of a camera and just be happy with my bridge camera.

Last edited by Cresho; Jan 15, 2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 6:06 AM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
ill look at mint 8...I thought this was proprietary stuff?! like its backed by major companies that want money?! am I wrong?
Nope (not proprietary stuff). It's a community supported, open source distribution (although he does include non-open source plugins and codecs like Adobe Flash player and more). It's offered in more than one "flavor" (with and without the codecs and plugins, if you're concerned about that kind of thing).

Clem (Clement Lefebvre, the founder and primary developer) started it a few years back. It looks like it's up to the 3rd most popular linux distro tracked by http://www.distrowatch.com right now (it's grown in popularity ever since it was introduced, since it's so easy to setup and use with lots of neat features; while allowing the use of Ubuntu repositories). See the page hit rankings on the right side of the main page at http://www.distrowatch.com

Here's an interview with Clem from 2007 discussing the Linux Mint project (and he's continued to add more features and refine it since then):

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?is...070702#feature

Quote:
anyway, I have my s200exr and I LOVE IT! I took a few pictures in raw and raw therapy works like a charm. I can grab some of the best images I can squeeze out of the camera. I'm afraid raw is the way to go if you want picture perfect. This is way better than my s2000hd. I cant wait for my pocket f200exr or f70exr.
Great. I figured that the latest Raw Therapee 3.0 Alpha release would be a good bet for converting it's raw files.

For Windows users reading this thread, it's also cross platform (available for Linux or Windows). There's no Mac version yet (but, since the developer released the latest 3.0 Alpha under an Open Source license, a Mac version may appear at some point if more developers get involved).

http://www.rawtherapee.com/