Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 1, 2010, 2:33 PM   #1

Default S200-EXR: Terrible noise in the samples?! Any manual users?

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum, although I've been using this great site for several years now for camera shopping. Anyway, just to explain if I missed this question elsewhere in the forum..

I am about to purchase the S200-EXR, based on reviews and sample images from this and a few other sites. My only concern however is the noise levels in some of the sample images here on this site (sample images)

The standard outdoor/zoom samples look fine but some 'mode' shots seem to have an unacceptable level of noise, in particular the sports and portrait samples. I was most shocked though by the 'Profocus' shot, taken outdoors.

Having said that, I would still buy this camera if someone could confirm that this noise issue is confined mainly to 'modes', as I'm assuming they are automated and give you no choice in ISO. I've been using the Canon Powershot SX10 for the past year and it's a similar story there, so I always used it in manual mode. I'm hoping this is also the case with the S200EXR. The reason I have doubts is because most reviews actually praise these modes as being the best thing about this camera!

Could someone please advise?

Cheers (and Happy New Year)!

Joanna
fibbling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:57 AM   #2

Joana-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased you dropped by.

I am a S-200 user and I can assure you that the Scene/Specialized modes are much more prone to showing noise because the Scene or Specialized Mode takes over the ISO setting. In normal operations I have not found noise to be a substantial problem, except at the higher ISO settings. Then Noiseware has been able to address that problem.

All in all I have enjoyed the camera a lot. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:32 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Those shots are at ISO1600,800 and 800 respectively so this accounts for the noise. The lower ISO samples look good on the 200-EXR.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 1:38 PM   #4

That's good news, thank you Sarah and Mark for your replies! The answer I was hoping for.. :-)
fibbling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:08 PM   #5

fibbling-

That is happy news. The Fuji S-200 EXR is a very good camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:13 PM   #6

Looking at those pictures makes me want to barf! The noise is very bad. From my expirience using other fuji cameras, you can achieve better results by not using those preset automatic modes. I just bought the s200exr. The thing with fuji cameras, you need to take that extra step if you want to get some really good results. I think I spent a week taking lots of pictures with my s2000hd (rest in piece) until i found the right combination. Automatic is not the way to go in any camera even point and shoot if you want to get excellent pictures. I noticed with the s200exr, you can increase sharpness and force iso not to go above 400 in certain modes. This feature is present on the s2000hd and I'm sure its present on the s200exr. It should arrive soon! I have a flicker account and ill post some pics soon

Last edited by Cresho; Jan 7, 2010 at 12:18 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:04 PM   #7

I am also a new Fuji S-200 owner. In fact the S-200 arrived today, 01/07. I agree with Cresho, the EXR system takes some adapting to and practice.

You can limit how high the ISO can go on the S-200.

Here is my first shot. Taken at ISO 800. I will work on it some more over the weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Jan 7, 2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:03 AM   #8

For an iso 800, I am happy to see little noise. I can't really tell if its cropped or what! It is still a good clean shot.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:09 AM   #9

Cresho-

Being the first shot, it is proof that we are heading in the correct direction. That sample was from the EXR S/N mode. So, I will continue to fine tune and gradually move forward.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:36 PM   #10

Default Seaside Sunrise

Cresho-

As promised I worked more on the new Fuji S-200. Here is the 01/10 sunrise along the Oregon Coast.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images