Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 13, 2010, 4:15 PM   #31
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
1600?? Well, you have NOTHING to worry about with neat camera. Beautiful shots! Hope to see more from this camera. Well done and congrats again. Ned
Thanks Ned, when set-up properly, it is a great performer. particularly in low light or in high contrast scenes. thats when the exr pays off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
For sure, it's an impressive little camera, Dustin, as shown by your images here. But, for some reason, I just can't bring myself to LIKE it. I don't know why. It performs well, it's small, relatively quick, compact, has good zoom but, I just can't bring myself to like it. Weird, eh?
hey Gary, not weird, we all have our own likes and dislikes. nothing wrong with that.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 6:03 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Thanks Ned, when set-up properly, it is a great performer. particularly in low light or in high contrast scenes. thats when the exr pays off.

hey Gary, not weird, we all have our own likes and dislikes. nothing wrong with that.
Hi Every Body, Dustin

I am going to buy a F70 for a friend and I know he likes a point and shoot camera. as I understood basically F70 isn't a suitable camera for beginner. any way please let me know how picture quality is in P mode and 200 iso compare to ZS3 and SX200IS.

in pro focus mode the picture is so noisy isn't there any way to reduce iso setting to avoid of this problem? reference
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/fujifilm/finepix-f70exr/sample-photos-21.html

I read some where:
"I wanted to see how the images looked when using the high sensitivity / low noise EXR mode. I was also interested in seeing if you could get the same result by just downsizing the high resolution image in Photoshop. By downsizing the photos in Photoshop from 10 to 5 Megapixel, you actually get better results than shooting in the high sensitivity / low noise mode. Basically, the EXR mode just saves you the need to downsize the images manually, with just a slight decrease in image quality."

Are u agree that?

Does DR mode work well? I couldn't see any different in DR of samples here!
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fuji/finepix_f70exr-assets/DSCF9159.JPG

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fuji/finepix_f70exr-assets/DSCF9162.JPG

Bottom line do suggest this camera with some adjustments (I read your recommendations in former posts) to the beginners?

Thanks.

Arena
arena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:15 PM   #33
Super Moderator

Arena,

Let me first address your question regarding Photoshop downsizing versus the EXR DR mode. The EXR method is actually quite superior to simply resizing a photo in photoshop. when using photoshop you still only have the original sensor data from the single exposure. The EXR method can be thought of more as a pixel-fusion rather than a simple pixel-binning. This is because it is for lack of better words taking 2 exposures at the same time with different pixel sets and combing them. That is a very simplistic explanation, the true mechanics behind it are quite complicated. But the EXR DR mode does increase dynamic range and is superior than anything photoshop downsizing algorithms can do.

Ok, now let me address Pro-Focus mode. I don't use it, ever. If you want shallow dof, there is really no substitute for a large sensor dslr. But if you want to fake it with a point and shoot, blurring the background later in photoshop works better than this mode.

The trick to this camera is to never shoot in full 10mp resolution, as that negates the EXR mode. If you shooting in 10mp resolution, then it actually loses sharpness and resolving power because of heavy noise reduction at all ISO's.

The problem I have with recommending the F70EXR to beginners is that a beginner wants to put their camera in 1 mode and forget it. There is no single mode for the F70EXR that works in all conditions. Furthermore, a beginner will not know to set the F70EXR to M or 5mp mode, and in 10mp mode the F70 is not a good camera.

Therefore, for a beginner, something like the ZS3,Sx200, or some of the other superzoom compacts are usually a better choice.

However, for those that are willing to work a little bit and have at least a rudimentary understanding of the camera, the F70EXR outperforms these cameras when the light gets low, or when their is high dynamic range present in the scene.

I will be posting an updated settings for the F70EXR in a separate post.

-Dustin
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:37 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Arena,

Let me first address your question regarding Photoshop downsizing versus the EXR DR mode. The EXR method is actually quite superior to simply resizing a photo in photoshop. when using photoshop you still only have the original sensor data from the single exposure. The EXR method can be thought of more as a pixel-fusion rather than a simple pixel-binning. This is because it is for lack of better words taking 2 exposures at the same time with different pixel sets and combing them. That is a very simplistic explanation, the true mechanics behind it are quite complicated. But the EXR DR mode does increase dynamic range and is superior than anything photoshop downsizing algorithms can do.

Ok, now let me address Pro-Focus mode. I don't use it, ever. If you want shallow dof, there is really no substitute for a large sensor dslr. But if you want to fake it with a point and shoot, blurring the background later in photoshop works better than this mode.

The trick to this camera is to never shoot in full 10mp resolution, as that negates the EXR mode. If you shooting in 10mp resolution, then it actually loses sharpness and resolving power because of heavy noise reduction at all ISO's.

The problem I have with recommending the F70EXR to beginners is that a beginner wants to put their camera in 1 mode and forget it. There is no single mode for the F70EXR that works in all conditions. Furthermore, a beginner will not know to set the F70EXR to M or 5mp mode, and in 10mp mode the F70 is not a good camera.

Therefore, for a beginner, something like the ZS3,Sx200, or some of the other superzoom compacts are usually a better choice.

However, for those that are willing to work a little bit and have at least a rudimentary understanding of the camera, the F70EXR outperforms these cameras when the light gets low, or when their is high dynamic range present in the scene.

I will be posting an updated settings for the F70EXR in a separate post.

-Dustin
Thank you very much Dustin
arena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:18 AM   #35

arena and Dustin, sure hope you guys keep posting pictures with this camera... I could use a camera like this some day in the future, still need to get the dslr first... but I would like to see more of this neat camera in action. Many thanks. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:15 AM   #36

any night shots. I am looking forward to getting this cam or the newer F80EXR. The camera looks tempting but havent found any good reviews anywhere till now
Thinking whether to go for this or a Canon A3XXX series cam. I am a Fuji s5100 owner for the past 7 years and the night shots arent worth taking on that cam :P
archish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:20 AM   #37
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by archish View Post
any night shots. I am looking forward to getting this cam or the newer F80EXR. The camera looks tempting but havent found any good reviews anywhere till now
Thinking whether to go for this or a Canon A3XXX series cam. I am a Fuji s5100 owner for the past 7 years and the night shots arent worth taking on that cam :P
night shots aren't worth taking with any p&s camera.

some do a more reasonable approximation of good than others. if you use the medium mode of these EXR camera's they can do pretty ok. canon's s90 does better. most others do ALOT worse.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:30 AM   #38

i was under the impression that in M mode the camera was best in night and DR lighting. So I assume its good or comparable to Canon P&S in low lighting/night mode and a little better in DR lighting?
archish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:36 AM   #39
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by archish View Post
i was under the impression that in M mode the camera was best in night and DR lighting. So I assume its good or comparable to Canon P&S in low lighting/night mode and a little better in DR lighting?
the 5mp or medium file size is better in every condition. the camera will not use the EXR sensor mode in full 10mp size.

and yes, it will do better than most canon p&s models in low light. except for the Canon S90, which is currently the best p&s in low light.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:56 AM   #40

Here are pictures taken earlier this month with my F72 EXR during a gig at the o2 Academy in Glasgow using the SN (high iso, low noise) mode. As I was at the rear of a large pit most shots were taken at full zoom.

5. (Cropped)

7. (Cropped)

mono is offline   Reply With Quote