Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:27 AM   #11

Thank you Jim, so am I.

It's taken me three days to get this picture uploaded, despite following the excellent instructions posted elsewhere on the site, and yes, I did downsize it before attempting to post.

There's nowt to recomend in gerrin owld, apart from the free bus pass. ( A bit of Yorkshire dialect.)

Regards,

Brian
Briantwigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:13 AM   #12

As you probably know, the S6500FD is very similar to the S9100 (S9600). I had a problem with a metal plate on the battery door coming loose. I accidentally put the batteries in reversed in low light, and they dislodged the plate. The plate is attached to the plastic with tiny posts. If I hadn't held it in place when I closed the battery door, it would have fallen off and possibly gotten lost. I think the camera still worked without the plates, but it might not have worked right all the time.

The plates bridge the battery terminals in series, of course. You might make sure they are all there, not loose, and that there is no garbage shorting them out. If something got in there that was shorting out the battery terminals, that could account for some battery troubles, in theory.

I eventually super glued the plate back into place with the smallest dab possible on the posts. It appeared to dry quickly, and I closed the door briefly, then opened it. Everything appeared fine, so I closed it. The next day I couldn't open it. Eventually, I pushed laterally hard enough to get it open again. So I should have let it dry for a day with the door open.

As to batteries, the hybrid batteries such as Eneloop are probably the best way to go these days. I use a LaCrosse BC-9009 charger, and it can detect bad batteries. I am finding that the new non-hybrids from good makers are not holding up. Even the good Sanyo 2700 mah batteries are not delivering the promised capacity anymore. But all my hybrid AAs, even the generics, are working great. (I guess this would go in the batteries section.)

If you do have a problem with contacts, Caig DeOxit or ProGold is the way to go. I have been using it for 18 years. You can put a dab on batteries and contacts. (I don't know if it is available in the UK. In the States, Radio Shack has it. Try a store that sells electric guitars to professional musicians, they love it.)

On old film cameras, particularly my Minolta XDs, internal contact corrosion was a big problem, especially for cameras left in the drawer. I haven't seen this on digitals, but it makes me wonder whether it is better to take the batteries out if the camera isn't being used or the AAs are dead.

However, with my S9100, the internal backup battery or capacitor seems to have gone. If I take the batteries out for more than a few seconds I lose my settings and time.

Also, the rotating thumb knob didn't work reliably. I took some dental floss and flossed the inner groove. Unwaxed probably would have been better, but it worked. I guess it was dust. Maybe I should put it in a camera bag or drawer, at least when it is not being used.

The S6500FD is a great camera, with better low light ability than the S9100. I was very tempted to get one. It has the same great lens, which has more resolution than your 6 mp sensor. And the 28-280 lens is F 2.8 to 4.9. I got a Lumix GH1 with 28-280 lens and it is F4 - 5.8. Sure, I can shoot at 800 ISO and get good images (at 1600 there is noise), but the slow lens is really getting on my nerves. You can shoot at ISO 800, too, and you might even get equally good images, but you also have F 2.8. And the S6500FD is lighter.

Take good care of that camera, and try shooting raw. You will probably get about as much resolution as I do with my S9100 with jpegs. The picture you posted looked great! Did you use the FD mode to get the perfect focus and exposure?

Last edited by Dapple; Jan 23, 2010 at 6:27 PM.
Dapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 4:05 PM   #13

Hello Dapple, please accept my appologies for not replying to your very useful post.
Unfortuanately, when my S6500 started to respond to my ministrations following the help from this forum, I thanked my lucky stars and have not visited since.
Now then, why am I back? well another eighteen months on it's running life has thrown up another problem, while on holiday last week, it decided that it did not want to take any more photo's of my now five year old grandson.

I am back home now and awaiting a test recharge of my two sets of batteries in the hope that this is the problem, but, I did purchase a set of non rechargeable AA's just to give it a new set of batteries as a test, and the result is the same, no response at all.

As well as the new batteries, I have cleaned al the battery terminals, operated every switch on the camera, several times, and removed and replaced the Sd card, several times, all with no joy.

Since coming home, I have removed the SD card and downloaded the files onto my computer with no problems, so I think/hope that rules out a problem with the card itself, so, here we are again, one not working S6500, again.

In the event that I am not going to be able to resuscitate it this time, I like the Fuji camera's, so what is a suitable replacement without spending a fortune.

Brian.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 7:25 PM   #14

G'day Brian

Sounds similar to my love-affair with my S-5000 of a couple of years ago ... loved it & loved it but after 90,000 images it died and I then had to find something else

In the Fuji range your options seem to be the HS10 or the HS20;
In the Panny range it seems to be the FZ100 ...
and others offer similar cameras too

I suggest that you check out the ergonomics of varying models available in shops near you
From [bad] experiences, I would look very-very-very carefully at any camera which requires you to rotate a dial on the rear face to achieve what other cameras do via the traditional up/down/left/right centre-ok button

Hope you find something that suits ... and keep in contact
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 5:39 PM   #15

Hello Ozzie, thank you for your commiserations.

Had an open ended quote of 70 plus post and packing to sort it provided they don't find anything other than what they must think is wrong with it.

I don't do much serious photography nowadays, mainly my five year old grandsons antics so don't know whether it's worth that, or possibly more, if there is something other than what they expect to find.

Anyone any thoughts on the Fuji S2950????

Regards to all,

Brian.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 6:25 PM   #16

G'day Brian

Yeah mate - go for it
Overall it has a good collection of specs - lots identical to your old 6500
The Fuji lens is well known to be a good one

My only ?? is regarding 'noise' with the sensor in low light ... I am unable to find much info on this - but I would still go for the camera as it is almost a direct swap / update for you

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote