Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:36 PM   #1

Default Fuji S6500sd fault.

My 4 year old S6500 has started to misbehave.

I all ways use 2400ma NMi rechargeable batteries which are fully charged and checked with a multimeter and a battery test meter to ascertain the charge level.

Over the last few uses, sometimes I have changed batteries mid shooting session using a spare set of batteries I all ways carry, only to find these are also shown as being discharged to the same extent as the removed batteries. I thought this was because the stored batteries had discharged themselves, but I was puzzled as this had not happened before even when the stored batteries had been carried for some time.

I got a discharged battery sign the other day and changed the batteries for a fully charged set, when I closed the battery compartment lid, the screen had a sort of back lighting and the camera would not switch to show stored images, or to the image taking mode. I tested the batteries and they were ok, and a test showed the removed batteries were not fully discharged either.

I removed the batteries and the memory card and gave the contacts a light rub with a duster and reinserted them.

I closed the battery compartment and the screen remained black, I switched on to stored images and was able to see the images I had taken, but when I switched to image taking mode, the screen went black and no image was viewable in either viewing screen.

I uploaded the stored images to my computer while I could, although I do have a card reader should the camera not allow me to off load.

I erased all the images off the card using the camera controls and tried switching again but no joy, first on position gives an empty card blue screen, second position gives a black viewing screen and no image.

Has anyone experienced this or have any idea what I might try to remedy the situation???

Regards,

Brian.
Briantwigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2010, 5:26 PM   #2
Administrator

Well... I'm not sure I'd trust the meters or battery tester (unless it's loading the batteries), so I wouldn't rule out a bad charger or batteries unless you're using a known good set (especially if you've been using them for a while).

You may want to try a more thorough cleaning of the contacts (using a contact cleaner, or even a pencil eraser, making sure not to bend or damage them).

I'd also use all switches, dials and buttons in case a bit of oxidation is causing an issue (since using them will help to clean their contacts from friction). If you've got a different memory card, I'd try it (in case your card is failing in a way that's drawing too much power).

I'll move this thread down to our Fuji forum so that you'll be more likely to get responses from any members that have seen this issue with your camera model.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 8:00 PM   #3

There are a lot of variables here, and before you start grinding away the contacts on your camera, let’s eliminate the most likely cause - the batteries. I agree with Jim, that meters can’t diagnose NiMH battery condition unless they are loaded. NiMH batteries don’t last forever. I don’t know what brand you’re using, how long you’ve had them, or how many times you have discharged and charged them and what charger you use for this charging, but NiMH batteries can and do go bad. It only takes one of a group of four to cause problems. Unless you can assure yourself that you have four, fully charged and non-defective NiMH batteries, you’re wasting your time trying anything else. The best thing I can think of, is to purchase four brand new low self-discharge NiMH batteries, such as Sanyo Eneloops or Maha Imedions. These come pre-charged and will hold an 85% charge for a year. Put them in and let us know what happens.

A couple of things you said kind of confused me...

1. “I got a discharged battery sign the other day and changed the batteries for a fully charged set, when I closed the battery compartment lid, the screen had a sort of back lighting and the camera would not switch to show stored images, or to the image taking mode.”

Was the battery icon steady red or blinking red? When you close the battery compartment lid, the camera should be off - there should be no back lighting. Were you referring to the LCD screen? Are you sure it was lit? When you said the camera would not switch - do you mean you could not physically rotate the power switch? Were the batteries properly oriented (correct polarity)?

2. “I erased all the images off the card using the camera controls and tried switching again but no joy, first on position gives an empty card blue screen, second position gives a black viewing screen and no image.”

So, when you turned the power switch to the arrow position (Playback mode), you saw the blue screen on the LCD. OK, that’s normal after you’ve deleted pics from your card. Then, when you turned the power switch to the camera icon position (Photography mode), the LCD was black. That is also normal if you have the EVF/LCD selector switch set to EVF. Was it set to LCD or EVF?

The Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 6:47 AM   #4

Good morning gentlemen and thank you Jim for moving the post to the correct thread, I thought I had posted it in the correct thread after reading the first acknowledgement to my introductory post, but clearly, I am not yet used to the forum, my appologies.

I am not sure how to address the person signing off as "The Hun", but thank you for your response.

Right then, the batteries.

I have used a selection of makes, Hama 2400, Uniross 2300 and Duracell 2500, always in matched sets and the correct polarity obviously.

The first time I had the reserve set of batteries show a battery low indication upon insertion was with brand new Duracell 2500's which I had charged as per usual before putting them into my camera case pocket as reserves.

I can't remember the other occasions, but that sticks in my mind because the batteries were brand new, I had bought 12 as I usually do to give me a set in use, a set in reserve and a set charging at home. I mark each set of 4 "A" "B" "C" with a marker pen to ensure that they are always used as a set.

My charger is a Uniross which has the facility to discharge the batteries fully before rechargeing as you would do if they were Nicad.

So on the first occasion, a set of new Duracell 2500's that had taken a number of photo's, started to show a red battery low indication, so I removed them and inserted what should have been a fully charged set of identical batteries which immediately showed a red battery low indication bringing my photographic session to a close.

The problem that prompted my call for help on here was the same, a being used set of batteries started to show the red low indication, so I got a spare set out of the camera case pocket, after inserting them, I got nothing when swtching the camera on. As I was at home this time, I took the batteries out and tested tham in a portable battery tester I have and they showed fully charged.

I messed around trying various sets of batteries and that is when I noticed that closing the battery compartment door gave a feint but discernable backlighting to the large LCD screen with the camera still turned off.

Eventually, I got the camera to switch onto the LCD viewing screen, but it gave the switch off beep when switched to the LCD or EVF viewfinder photography mode, and the screen was black. At this point I downloaded the pictures 'till I got the Blue screen.

And that is the current situation, Swtch on to Playback mode, a beep and a blue screen, switch further to photography mode and I get another beep and the LCD/EVF are both black. Switch back to Playback mode, no beep and no blue screen, switch to off and nothing.

I will go and purchase a set of new batteries as suggested by your goodselves and try that, gingers crossed eh.

The two brands of battery mentioned as being good quality I have not heard of, do you have a supplier in mind, or shall I just Google and see what come up??

Regards,

Brian.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:24 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantwigg View Post
I messed around trying various sets of batteries and that is when I noticed that closing the battery compartment door gave a feint but discernable backlighting to the large LCD screen with the camera still turned off.
That doesn't sound good, unless it's normal behavior for that model to turn it on momentarily when it detects power being applied). Perhaps some of our Fuji members will chime in, but that seems unlikely.

So, I suspect a component issue of some type may be the culprit (power switch, corrosion on board, something failing, etc.), if it's not just a switch contact issue.

Did you try a different memory card in it? It's rare, but I have seen cases of a memory card shorting out a camera. Also, Fuji did have some issues with some memory cards draining the power in one of their earlier models (S7000). But, I don't recall them issuing a similar bulletin about your model.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:40 AM   #6

Hello again Jim, thank you for your continued interest.

I have not got a spare memory card to try so I will start with new batteries, when I can e
get out with the snow chaos.

Regards,

Brian.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:20 PM   #7

Brian,

It's OK to address me as "the Hun", Rinnie, Rin...heck, I've been called a lot worse on this forum...

One source for the batteries is here:

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/sh...rsllit8gi3gna7

They do ship internationally, but the shipping rates are...a little high...???

I've never had my Fuji "light up" when closing the battery compartment. Doesn't sound too promising. Perhaps your batteries are shorting out as soon as you close the door? Any foreign matter visible inside the compartment? A little tinsel from the tree?

Wish I could be more helpful, but I haven't experienced your type of issues with either of my Fuji's.

Good luck, and keep us informed.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 6:05 PM   #8

Hello Rinnie and Jim, smee again.

Today, I experimented with sets of batteries and got the camera to work, I think as per normal.

I have ordered new batteries as well but I am relieved that the camera appears to be OK.

I was out with my 4 year old grandson sledging today and managed to get one or two pictures which is pretty much what I use it for.

We have had, for the UK, quite a lot of snow, so there are plenty of nice snow scenes available.

I will keep this thread up-dated as I too am puzzled by the back lit screen upon battery compartment closure, but there does not appear to be anything in the battery compartment that shoud not be there.

Thank you both very much for your undoubted help.

Kind regards,

Brian.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:19 AM   #9

Default resurected s6500

Here's a photo I took after I got the camera to work again.

Many thanks for the help.

Regards,

Brian.
Attached Images

Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:20 AM   #10
Administrator

Great. I'm glad it appears to have been a battery issue versus something more serious.