Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:45 AM   #1

Default A few F70EXR shots

Hello,

Here are a few shots from my F70EXR. Please bear in mind that I have no idea what I am doing .

Also is there an easy way/correct size etc for posting?

#1 one was taken using the EXR Auto mode
1/60s, Focal Length 14.0mm, f10.0, L4:3 F, DR 100 HR, ISO 100

#2 was taken using the EXR DR mode
1/240s, Focal Length 16.8mm, f5.3, M4:3 F, DR 400, ISO 100

#3 was taken using the Scene Position Landscape (I think the rest was auto--I was excited)

thanks!
maryintexas39
Attached Images

maryintexas39
Panasonic DMC-LX5/Panasonic Lumix ZS9/Panasonic Lumix ZS15

my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/maryintexas39/

Last edited by maryintexas39; Jan 5, 2010 at 12:46 AM. Reason: forgot closing words
maryintexas39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:18 AM   #2

Hi there, Mary-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

Thanks for posting some good looking images. The easiest way to reduce your photos to web size is to us a photo editing program. I believe, though I am not positive that even Picasa, a free download from www.google.com, will do image size reduction as well.

The F-70EXR is a very able camera and it is capable of very good image quality. Here is a short set-up guide for the F-70EXR created by Kim Letkeman who has a F-70EXR blog. It may be helpful to you. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:35 AM   #3

Sarah,
Thanks for posting these instructions... tell me why is it that the image size set to M - 5mp instead of the highest? Isn't it better to use the max capability of the camera? One of the criticisms I see about this camera is that the EXR modes... DR and SN reduce the MP to 5 from 10. I see posted comments like - "in 2009/2010 why am I getting a 5mp camera?" Is this to reduce image noise?

Mary,
So far the image quality seems pretty good... these are all with no post processing correct? Many of the pics - especially on Kim's blog are all post processed so can't see how the pics out of the camera are..

Thanks again and keep sharing
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:10 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Hi Mary,

Good to have you on board and looks like you are enjoying your new camera which is great!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryintexas39 View Post
#1 one was taken using the EXR Auto mode
1/60s, Focal Length 14.0mm, f10.0, L4:3 F, DR 100 HR, ISO 100
Now a question to Fuji (not that they will be listening) but why on earth use f10, that's just reducing image quality?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 1:15 PM   #5

Mark-

When any EXR model camera uses pixel binning, the effective resolution is reduced by 50%. In addition using the m mode is another work around as it attains better image quality. Please don't see Kim Letkeman as THE authority on this camera, his blog is just one source among several that provides good information on the F-70EXR.

Because EXR technology and set-up is sort of contra logic that is why I included Kim's notes, simply due to the fact that they short, to the point, and are rather concise.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 1:18 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Don't think that was meant for me, Nech asked that question
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 1:24 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nech770 View Post
Sarah,
Thanks for posting these instructions... tell me why is it that the image size set to M - 5mp instead of the highest? Isn't it better to use the max capability of the camera? One of the criticisms I see about this camera is that the EXR modes... DR and SN reduce the MP to 5 from 10. I see posted comments like - "in 2009/2010 why am I getting a 5mp camera?" Is this to reduce image noise?

Thanks again and keep sharing
thing is, you aren't using your camera to full capabilities in 10mp mode. the pixel binning algorythms give you more dynamic range than any compact camera, some estimate nearly 10ev. also, you are actually getting more details out of the camera in 5mp mode, that is because the noise reduction is just too high at 10mp and smears the details. and really, 5mp is more than enough resolution for any prints most users would ever do.

if someone is just looking for a point and shoot auto mode camera. the f70exr is not it. or if you are wowed by large resolutions, again, not your camera. if you are willing to put in the extra set-up time and learn to use the f70exr correctly, you can get some great results in low light and shots with more dynamic range than other compacts. as long as you are not bothered by the binned 5mp resolution.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 1:26 PM   #8
Super Moderator

btw, the exr "Auto" mode is not good.

set up a custom setting for EXR, as per outlined by the document Sarah posted, it will work out much better.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 1:47 PM   #9

Default thanks

Thanks to all of you for your input and ideas! And yes, Nech, you are correct there was no post processing except to resize for posting.

I am really loving this camera and driving my family crazy loving it . I have the day off tomorrow and plan on taking "my baby" on a photo jaunt. Unless of course the weather does not cooperate. It's supposed to be really cold here (and hopefully not messy)--something we are not used to in my neck of the woods.

ta!

maryintexas39
Panasonic DMC-LX5/Panasonic Lumix ZS9/Panasonic Lumix ZS15

my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/maryintexas39/
maryintexas39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 2:58 PM   #10

k thanks for the answers...
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote