Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 4, 2002, 1:21 PM   #1
ddx

Default grainy pics on finepix2600/2800?

i notice on steve's samples there are grainy textures on all the pictures, when i compare them to the canon a40, it seems like the quality is poorer than the a40, is it because of the ISO ? is there anyway to get rid of those grainy textures ?
ddx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2002, 3:40 AM   #2
ddx

wow you guys sure are quiet ... i guess ill try a different forum
ddx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2002, 4:05 PM   #3

The 2600z takes great pics in real life.
I don't know why those pics look grainy.
John Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2002, 12:17 AM   #4

Default 2800z

yeah, i noticed that too when i compared the a40 and 2800z. the a40 seemed to have a BIT more vibrant colors and smoother trasitions..but also a tad blurrier compared to the 2800z. i finally got the 2800z over the a40 mainly because i will get a real good cam in a year or so when they get like the SLRs. the 2800z has 6x optical zoom..that is what sold me the most... i need a lot of zoom..and especially for the money..and the 2800z also takes great photos...may be slightly lacking on manual settings compared to the a40...but for $274 at www.buydig.com...u can't beat it!!!

i usually edit my photos anyways in photoshop7..so u can smooth the images a bit by blurring very slightly..and then i use unsharp mask for more detail for prints...and color correct.

this model is being replaced by the 3800 now...but is obviously a lot more...wan't looking to spend $500 on a 3 mp cam. can't wait until 6-12 mp cams come out for $500! which they will...goodbye traditional cams!
DigitalArtist71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2002, 4:44 PM   #5

Default another thing...

....and another thing...the Fuji pix really aren't that grainy compared to a lot of cameras.especialy when compared to cameras in its price range..u can't beat it! for instance take alook at some of the kodak cameras....there images may claim 4.0 mp...but they suck! stick with Canon, Fuji, Nikon or Olympus...and some Sonys.
Old Sep 21, 2002, 12:52 PM   #6

I found that many pictures posted on the Web seem to have more grain than they do as first generation copies on my home PC. This is true of my FinePix 2800 as well: I have no grain issues, in good or poor lighting. It would be nice if Steve could comment on why this happens, as it definitely puts the bias toward the Canons if you use the Web shots to compare quality for a purchasing decision.
I have noticed a SLIGHT amount more grain with the 2800 than with the Canon S30, but that's a much more expensive camera.

[Edited on 9-23-2002 by MentorRon]

[Edited on 9-23-2002 by MentorRon]
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2002, 7:14 PM   #7

Default grain

i think a lot of it has to do with the JPEG setting the 2800 uses. even at the 2m FINE setting...the "fixed" JPEG QUALITY is what may be causing it. if there was no compression at all the file size would be way higher than the avergae 900k the 2800 saves pix as. would have been nice if it had a RAW mode...especially considering todays smart media sizes.

but then again... i will eventually get a Digital SLR that has evrything we want.
Old Sep 24, 2002, 6:29 PM   #8

according to fuji, the 2800 has a ratio of compression of 1:7 (cannon usually use 1:5) at the fine setting. the only way you can get rid of the grainy is to use uncompress image; 2800 doesn't support this feature.
left_r_right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2002, 8:03 PM   #9

Hi guys , i sow that you are talking about the finepix 2600 .. i 'm kind of beginner here .. i had used for an year a Logitech ClickSmart 510. Now i want to buy something new, more "professional" with 350$. I have to chose between some Olympus Cameras, Sony P31 or to choose the Finepix 2600.
I need to know everything about this digital camera. You, the actual owners are satisfied with that camera? Can somebody send me some fotos made at high quality in different situations, with/without Flash, and some Outdoors? by email: [email protected]

Thank you!
mihai2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2002, 8:05 PM   #10

Hi guys , i sow that you are talking about the finepix 2600 .. i 'm kind of beginner here .. i had used for an year a Logitech ClickSmart 510. Now i want to buy something new, more "professional" with 350$. I have to chose between some Olympus Cameras, Sony P31 or to choose the Finepix 2600.
I need to know everything about this digital camera. You, the actual owners are satisfied with that camera? Can somebody send me some fotos made at high quality in different situations, with/without Flash, and some Outdoors? by email: [email protected]

Thank you!
mihai2k is offline   Reply With Quote