Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:11 AM   #1

Default s200exr: Some settings.

Hello, I'm posting some of my settings here for those who want less noise in the pictures.

settings currently using is
P mode!!!!!!!!!!!!
iso=100 Note:if you are going to take night shots or running subjects, use auto 400 or auto 800 and even auto 1600 seems to be okay
image size=4:3
Image quality=F
Dynamic Range=auto
Film Simulation=Velvia
wb=none adjusted...yet
color=mid
tone=std
sharpness=std
noise reduction=low

here is my result in pictures I zoomed in and croped in a foto editor 100percent or more. From left to right 1. auto 6mp, 2. p with above settings but 6mp, 3. p with above settings but 12mp

As you can see, automatic mode really sucks. Please take note I zoomed in alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These are not wide angle. One last thing, you can sharpen maximum as well as noise reduce maximum as well but from what I saw, you are only increasing jpeg noise and noise reduction buffs it clean which makes it look sharper but all that the sharpness is is noise. the std sharpness with the noise reduction to low shows like barely or none jpeg compression artifacts and looks more like film.
Attached Images

Last edited by Cresho; Jan 15, 2010 at 11:57 AM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:29 AM   #2

Thanks Cresho-

It looks like these settings work well for you. Please remember that when you are using the P, or Programed Auto mode you ar operating outside of the EXR system.

Have aa great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 12:18 PM   #3

I use exr for other things. It is very adjustable and I can get some clean shots. Since I'm working with raw files as well because I am shooting jpeg and raw, I can come up with better shots that exr alone is not capable of.

This camera is very flexible.

ill be posting some exr and raw converted images ala HDR later on.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 1:21 PM   #4

Cresho-

It sounds like you have worked out a very good solution for yourself. Well done!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 2:50 PM   #5

i started tweaking the P settings from above because and here is an example of a shot i fixed for my desktop wallpaper. Of course, the original is always better than the downsized images we put up here.

the 4to3 aspect ratio is the original one minus the resizing.

The second one is resized to 16to9 and touched a bit with gimp so I can use it on my widescreen HP 2709m monitor.
Attached Images

Old Jan 23, 2010, 4:21 PM   #6

i just uploaded some backyard shots. You can check them out in my profile. I'll be posting some beach and mountand and some city HDR shots later on.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 1:02 PM   #7

Hi again Cresho and the rest of you!
I have a feeling I will be posting a lot in this forum and hopefully soon I will post some of my own 'lab tests' :-)
I just want to confirm the thing about 'sharpness' and noise - it IS really noisy when you increase sharpness - i have mine set at either 'soft' or 'standard'.
The other thing I've noticed is the *TONE* setting. When tone is set to 'hard' the photos have a nice hue - they seem darker, more contrasty. *BUT* the trade-off is that it darkens and noises up the photos. The darkness also results in a loss of detail
So I have this set to 'soft' as well, as I can always alter the colour/contrast post-production.
Joanna
fibbling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:22 PM   #8

Wow! that's good to know about the softness. I'll be taking a look at those shots. I basically shoot normally and do post processing on pics I found interesting.

here is a sample one I found interesting.

I'm still working on the backyard stuff. I think next weekend, I'll do some beach shots.

I have a quick question. I been dealing with chromatic aberration on spot metering but ("metering i mean where it grabs light from") but I am using an overall metering and not spot to remove chromatic aberration. Does the softness work in this manner as well? I suspect it doesn't.
Attached Images

Last edited by Cresho; Jan 30, 2010 at 11:30 PM.