Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:52 PM   #1

Default Finepix S2000hd / Finepix S8100fd

i have a chance to pick up one of these for a decent price. any thoughts comments as to which one is the better camera? i've read the review of the S8000fd on this site and read reviews on amazon. i thought you guys might have some insight.

thanks.

maryintexas39
Panasonic DMC-LX5/Panasonic Lumix ZS9/Panasonic Lumix ZS15

my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/maryintexas39/
maryintexas39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:14 PM   #2

I have the s2000hd. If you pixel peep, you have noise. It's not that bad. you can look at my profile and see some of the shots I took. I never used automatic because I was not satisfied. It left me wanting for more but it's not that bad.

HD video is terrible and would not recommend it.

look at my profile and look at the gallery you can see some shots I took with the camera.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:21 PM   #3

ohh! I was looking at some of the shots from the s8100fd and they look about the same as the s2000hd. They have fringing, chromatic abberation, pixel noise when zoomed it, they both suffer from bad iso output. If you want something better, look for the older s series that use the superccd sensor. They will give you better looking pictures.

Here is a post I made in amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...R112XSLOKRZ6XS

-------------------------------
I own a xacti hd1000. It takes very good videos and I decided to to purchase a camera to replace my old fujifilm s3800. I Now have a s2000hd which I purchased from circuit city when it went out of business. I saw the price and I saw the camera features and I thought to myself, "this is a good deal!"

It's been about a month and have taken shots of family out in the park. I can tell you a few things about the camera.
1- it takes high contrast pics and adds even higher contrast
2- Color is very saturated
3- some noise even at low iso
4- chromatic aberration at super macro mode.
5- Some blurry super macro pics can be achieved if your hand is not steady enough but you can get some sharp pictures with practice.

You either love the camera or you hate it. For my super macro pics which has chromatic aberration, I use gimp and a plug in called "chromatic aberration" to fix the problem. The results are excellent. For the color saturation and contrast problem, for the really nice pics, I use bloom and Fake HDR in gimp to fix the issue. I love it. For picture noise, I found running the camera at 10 mega pixels images to be too noisy anything over 400 iso so force 400 auto in p setting or use 100. 400 for night shots are fine.

The HD feature is excellent but no were near my xacti hd1000. The audio is not that great compared to my hd1000 as well but this camera serves as an excellent backup in case I don't have a hd recorder around.

I noticed some ccd smear. This appears as blue vertical streaks caused by massive light source through your lcd screen. WHen you hold the button halfway, this shows the true image you are going to take and that take has no ccd smear. Pictures never show ccd smear. There is also a firmware upgrade which kind of helps with the ccd smear issue.

for a 180 dollar camera, this is the best camera I have ever owned. I am giving it a 5 star rating because if you payed for this at this price range, it is a dead on deal. Compared to other cameras even at this price, noboby's product can match it even in quality. If I payed for this camera at about 250 dollars plus, I would rate it at a 3.5. 3.5 just because it takes a bit of time to use the advanced features and time to understand what is going on with the camera and why sometimes the shots do not come out the way you expect it.

If you are a beginner, do not use auto mode. Use the SP mode and select the correct scene. I found if I used flash in auto, the flash supersaturated the scene with light. It has a way powerfull flash. If you use the sp mode with the correct scene, the picutres come out perfect. Auto mode is terrible. It loves high iso for non flash at nights and even at night with flash it uses high iso.

The sweet spot of this camera is program ae or P mode. Use sharp image setting in menu, use multispot, compensate for blown highlights with the +- aka exposure button manually. Use iso 100 and at night use flash. This camera takes excellent pictures this route. Using program AE sounds difficult but its not. It works like automatic but you set your camera how you want it. Automatic settings don't detect scenes correct so this will help those of you who are pressed on having good, sharp, noisless pictures.

Chrome in the F button adds extra color and extra contrast. It is like a mini HDR but without it being dynamic in the spots where it counts. It is a nice feature and i tend to play with this in many of my shots. Chrome works very well and gives images an interesting look.

This camera is excellent. If you want natural looking pictures with a sharp look, you can achieve it but with great difficulty. If you want something that pops out and makes for some interesting shots, this is good for it. I find myself looking at the images not for its natural look but for the unreal and artistic look. Top these images with a HP 2408w monitor with a 92% gamut color saturation, It is way amazing.

Other cameras I have looked at where the

panasonic fz28 (excellent minus color is too bland and outputs too much barrel distortion for my taste and also the proprietary battery system stinks)

canon sx10 is (excellent natural picture taking camera with very "not-so-sharp" images but the chromatic aberration leaves me thinking why it costs so much. aa battery is a plus-non proprietary). Between these 2, the fz28 wins hands down in sharpness.

laters
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:15 AM   #4

And I might add that the model that replaced the Panasonic FZ-28, the FZ-35 now has full color adjustments. So it can be customized in terms of color now.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:17 PM   #5

cresho and sarah,

thanks for your feedback. cresho i looked at your photos taken with the s2000hd and like them very much.

i think i'm gonna go with the s2000hd. i'm very much a beginner. between the 70EXR and this one i think i'll be able to do all i want plus have great cameras to learn with.

thanks again for your input!

maryintexas39
Panasonic DMC-LX5/Panasonic Lumix ZS9/Panasonic Lumix ZS15

my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/maryintexas39/
maryintexas39 is offline   Reply With Quote