Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 26, 2010, 5:32 PM   #1

Default F70 screen delay

ok have been playing with the F70 and with the kids I find by the time I get it focused they move... the screen is blurry... like not updating so fast... is this typical of the F70 or a problem with mine?
Are there other cameras that are better or is it just a function of the LCD.... I am used to using the viewfinder on my old camera...
thanks in advance
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2010, 5:38 PM   #2
Super Moderator

it is adjustable. between 30fps and 60fps i believe. i can confirm that when i get home.

but yea, refresh rates of evf/lcds are always a disadvantage compared to opitcal viewfinders when subjects are moving.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 5:42 PM   #3

thanks for the quick reply... are other cameras better with the LCDs I got this camera mainly to take pics of the kids etc... and being it is fuzzy it is hard to take pics... making the camera less useful... is the canon sx200 or the panasonic sz3 better?
Old Jan 26, 2010, 5:53 PM   #4
Super Moderator

action shots with lcds will always suffer from refresh problems. not only that, but their autofocus has severe troubles keeping up. a compact with an optical viewfinder, which there aren't very many anymore can somewhat alleviate the first part of the problem, i am trying to think what cameras still have optical vfs, canon sd940, g11.

really if things are moving, thats the land of dslrs.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 6:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
action shots with lcds will always suffer from refresh problems. not only that, but their autofocus has severe troubles keeping up. a compact with an optical viewfinder, which there aren't very many anymore can somewhat alleviate the first part of the problem, i am trying to think what cameras still have optical vfs, canon sd940, g11.

really if things are moving, thats the land of dslrs.
I know but DSLR is out of my range....and I want small and pocket able.... when playing with the camera in the store didn't notice such a lag... but when trying to take pics of the kids... it was noticeable...
I was looking initially at the canon sx200 or waiting for the sx300 but the issue is that the sx200 was cheapest... $320 and the fuji I got for $245... and could not justify the extra $75 for the canon so went for the fuji - also liked that the fuji is smaller and lighter... but this screen lag is annoying.. might just get used to it but are other cameras better?
Old Jan 26, 2010, 6:44 PM   #6
Super Moderator

i am now home and i found 2 things that seemed to help out.

the lcd refresh is faster in the sports mode.and since you can pick the M(4:3) size for this mode, this could work out for you. though you are not going to get the dynamic range boost.

you can also boost the refresh rate in other modes by going to the menu then goin to the left and down to the set-up menu. go down to "power managemen" and pick the "Clear LCD Display" mode. I did not notice any effects on AF speed, so I see no real reason to not shoot in this mode.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:48 PM   #7

thanks - I will try that - although my test subjects are going to bed prob will test in the morning...
I guess it takes time to work out the kinks...
Old Jan 26, 2010, 8:33 PM   #8

not sure about this camera but it must have a baby mode? I purchased a j10 for my girlfriend and it takes pictures. just fine. It even has a baby mode.

as for the lcd, Never seen any problems. I know on some of the cameras, you can increase the framerate. you should look into this if you can modify framerate on the lcd.

Last edited by Cresho; Jan 26, 2010 at 9:02 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote