Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 10, 2010, 4:54 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 171
Default Thanks for all the encouragement and advice

ancientritual,
thanks for the advice - i know that it is more about the photog than the camera and I am NOT a photog... I played with the f70 and returned it as the pics were ok but the camera keeps choosing a high iso... as high as you let it... and I felt and was told by many that to get good shots you need to play with the settings.
I am willing to learn and I understand some basic concepts, but as a busy mom of 3 young kids.. I want to be able to pick up the camera and shoot. I can't evaluate the situation, meter the light compose a photo... kids are doing something cute I need to be able to pick up camera turn on, point and shoot or I miss the shot.

Hards80,
Assuming I set up as you suggest is this possible? to set P or even auto to auto iso 400 - and shoot? and use the exr dr as suggested...
I can be like ok bright and sunny - use EXR-DR, Everything else use P - and decide flash or no flash... how often will I need to fiddle with the ISOs? would my idea of auto400 or auto800 ISO work in auto mode better than the P mode where I need to pick the ISO? Is there something else in the auto mode - besides pick a too high iso that is done that reduces the quality.

After playing with it and deciding it was not for me... I tried the samsung WB550/HZ15 and although it was better at choosing stuff in auto - the focusing was slow and in low light it is a problem and often at home the lighting is not so great. I played with the Canonsx200 and it seemed ok but again although picked a lower iso, iso 400 there looks like the ISO 800 in the f70.... so am I just being too fussy? I see AMAZING pics come out of it and know that is what I want.. but if it means playing with the settings and missing the shot then what have a gained?
So I am getting frustrated...
Thanks for listening guys and directing me.
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 6:28 PM   #22
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

Nech,

A camera is a large and important purchase, nothing wrong with trying a few out until you find the one that best fits your needs.

Please refresh me as to a few things. It seems flash and auto-mode shooting is a priority for you, is there a reason why the Sony H20 was eliminated from the running? If there was, I forget. It has great flash output and chooses quite low iso's for it.

anyways, on to your other questions for me. I think quite easily you could set your camera up so that your EXR mode is your non-flash mode. Just set it like Auto ISO 1600, DR400, that should give you enough DR to make use of outdoor contrasty scenes but still give you full ISO range. Then you could leave your P mode for indoor flash shots, just set to like AutoISO 400 and pop to this mode when you need flash. that would be a pretty good compromise that allows just switching between 2 modes.

they just released the f80exr, which gives HD video as well, i am not sure if the auto-modes are improved, or changed at all though.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 7:47 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Nech,

Pease refresh me as to a few things. It seems flash and auto-mode shooting is a priority for you, is there a reason why the Sony H20 was eliminated from the running? If there was, I forget. It has great flash output and chooses quite low iso's for it.

they just released the f80exr, which gives HD video as well, i am not sure if the auto-modes are improved, or changed at all though.
Hards80,
I ruled out the sony H20 for a few reasons... 1 no wide angle, 2 memory sticks - I have SDHC cards and don't want to switch media... which is what makes the new sony hx5 even a contender, but its price tag here in canada is $450 which is WAY TOO HIGH!! I am hoping to keep to $250-$300 - I got the F70 for $250 and the samsung as well.
The samsung is good about not raising the ISO, but the issue is that the f70 produces better pics if I choose the iso that the others choose on auto...
The Canon sx200 is now going for $320... but I didn't see it as being much better and worth extra $70. Again better in auto but iq not as good..
are there any cameras I should consider that i haven't...
Casio? Or Kodak... but the reviews seem mediocre at best...
I just don't know if I am being too fussy or unreasonable.
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:26 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default Canon SX-200 Photo Sample

Nech-

The Canon SX-200 arrived late this afternoon. Even though I have only had a chance to take a few photos, I am impressed with the ease of use and the image quality produced.

Here is a photo of Bradley taken using the built-in flash unit at 14 feet. Although the flash unit itself is rather small, its light output is very satisfactory. I will keep you posted as I take more photos with the Canon SX-200 camera.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images
 

Last edited by mtclimber; Feb 10, 2010 at 8:29 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:29 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 171
Default

thanks sarah... keep me posted... with the annoucement of the sx210 maybe the sx200 will come down in price... also does the flash get annoying that it pops up like that?
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:47 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

Nech-

Here is the photo that Bradley took of me. When I asked him how he like the SX-200, he said that he felt that the SX-200 was a really easy camera to use. Which is the same as I felt.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images
 
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 6:19 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Ancientritual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbia, IL
Posts: 347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nech770 View Post
ancientritual,
thanks for the advice - i know that it is more about the photog than the camera and I am NOT a photog... I played with the f70 and returned it as the pics were ok but the camera keeps choosing a high iso... as high as you let it... and I felt and was told by many that to get good shots you need to play with the settings.
I am willing to learn and I understand some basic concepts, but as a busy mom of 3 young kids.. I want to be able to pick up the camera and shoot. I can't evaluate the situation, meter the light compose a photo... kids are doing something cute I need to be able to pick up camera turn on, point and shoot or I miss the shot.

Hards80,
Assuming I set up as you suggest is this possible? to set P or even auto to auto iso 400 - and shoot? and use the exr dr as suggested...
I can be like ok bright and sunny - use EXR-DR, Everything else use P - and decide flash or no flash... how often will I need to fiddle with the ISOs? would my idea of auto400 or auto800 ISO work in auto mode better than the P mode where I need to pick the ISO? Is there something else in the auto mode - besides pick a too high iso that is done that reduces the quality.

After playing with it and deciding it was not for me... I tried the samsung WB550/HZ15 and although it was better at choosing stuff in auto - the focusing was slow and in low light it is a problem and often at home the lighting is not so great. I played with the Canonsx200 and it seemed ok but again although picked a lower iso, iso 400 there looks like the ISO 800 in the f70.... so am I just being too fussy? I see AMAZING pics come out of it and know that is what I want.. but if it means playing with the settings and missing the shot then what have a gained?
So I am getting frustrated...
Thanks for listening guys and directing me.
Understand your situation. By putting any camera in the "A" mode you are basically losing all control. It will select the aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and WB. If you have program mode, then use that. At least you can control the ISO. In your situation, set the ISO to 200, max will be 400. Do some test shots in rooms that your children are in the most. At ISO 200 see if your shots are sharp, maybe place a pet in the room that you are shooting in. If everything is acceptable then stick with that setting. If not use ISO 400, but understand that an increase in ISO 200 to 400, is an increase in noise. I would not go beyond 400 with a digicam. Of course it your decision, but I would return the Samsung. The F70EXR is a far better camera.
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:25 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancientritual View Post
Understand your situation. By putting any camera in the "A" mode you are basically losing all control. It will select the aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and WB. If you have program mode, then use that. At least you can control the ISO. In your situation, set the ISO to 200, max will be 400. Do some test shots in rooms that your children are in the most. At ISO 200 see if your shots are sharp, maybe place a pet in the room that you are shooting in. If everything is acceptable then stick with that setting. If not use ISO 400, but understand that an increase in ISO 200 to 400, is an increase in noise. I would not go beyond 400 with a digicam. Of course it your decision, but I would return the Samsung. The F70EXR is a far better camera.
thanks for the advice - looks like i will return the samsung and try my luck with the canon sx200... the f70 needs too much fiddling... played some more but it is more work than i can put into it right now... i need a pick up and shoot camera... f70 is not.. i really want to like it, but sadly it is not for me.
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 8:48 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,092
Default

ya, canon I recommend for "soccer moms" I must of recommended like 3 people for sx110. They are satisfied.

Not trying to insult anybody here. "soccer moms" are busy bodies who are dedicated to kids imho and very honerable. but you guys get my idea.

Last edited by Cresho; Feb 11, 2010 at 8:50 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 9:30 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 171
Default

that's me busy mom - at least on my end no offence taken... I would love to have time for playing with photography, like I did in my teens and early 20s, but I now have a family and don't have time... want to pick up and shoot...
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:56 PM.