Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:51 PM   #1

Default frustrated with f70

hi all have had f70 for a week and pics look ok in camera but when i get to comp seem fuzzy...
Even in good light - camera seems to pick ISO800 it is just not as sharp as I would like... not much of an improvement over my Canon A20
I KNOW I am doing something wrong... but what?
Here for example - it is not bad.. but near the baby's ear... seems fuzzy and pixelated...
I can see good detail from the texture of the sleeper... but like between the baby's face and the background... it is almost like it is smeared...
I hope I am being clear...
This was shot in Auto/Auto mode, it chose iso 800, aperture F5.5, exposure 1/125s not sure what else you need... I don't seem to know how to resize and keep the EXIF intact...
Attached Images

nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:58 PM   #2

Another one - this time P Mode according to the suggestions in KL from his blog...
Chose ISO 800 (why does it always choose this?) I have it on Auto 800ISO, f5.3, exposure 1/90s,
Again it is not terrible but the left side of the baby's head is very grainy... but I can tell good detail again from the texture on the sleeper... what am I doing wrong?
Also how can I post more than 1 pic in a post and write between them... like
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fu...ay-f70exr.html
Attached Images

Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:11 AM   #3

Fuji cameras are not as good as they should be. I would not recommend these cameras for beginners at all. You should of purchased a canon. I use fuji myself and guide my girlfriend when she uses hers. Auto mode does not work like it should.

I can suggest a few things like use iso 100 at night instead of auto because you are using flash. This is just a start. I would post more but I'm taking a break and using my cellphone to type this.

Ohh btw, those are some of the best iso800 images I have seen yet ...besides my s200exr or dslr cameras.

Last edited by Cresho; Jan 28, 2010 at 12:16 AM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:29 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Yes, the Fuji seems to like to use ISO 800 with the flash. but this is easily worked around. when you are indoors and want to use flash, just force the iso lower. iso 200 is a good balance. i would just do it in P mode.

also, for iso800 they look quite good. thats actually very little pixelation for that high of ISO in a small digicam.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 1:27 AM   #5

nech770~

i am by no means an expert, just a mere babe in the woods, but don't give up on the F70EXR! it just takes practice, practice, practice and experimentation.

as for posting more than one picture: once you've uploaded up your photos on the manage attachements box and closed the window, type what you want then click on the down arrow by the paperclip, clik on the attachment you want. it will be inserted into your post. hit the enter key between photos and you are set

hope this helps,

maryintexas39
Panasonic DMC-LX5/Panasonic Lumix ZS9/Panasonic Lumix ZS15

my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/maryintexas39/
maryintexas39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 1:34 AM   #6
Super Moderator

i have been playing around with it a little more since i responded. and I have found that ISO 200 is the best balance for most normal range flash shots. it gives the flash a little more range than at ISO 100, but the noise is not different.

if you want to reach a little further with the flash, then dialing up to iso 400 or 800 does quite nicely. and with the low noise even at 800, it really extends the flash range of this camera.

as we have said all along. the F70EXR takes a little bit of extra work, but at least for me its worth it, considering how versatile it is for a relatively inexpensive and pocketable 10x zoom camera. its not a point and shoot automatic camera, thats for sure.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:50 AM   #7

Default Thanks for all the encouragement

thanks guys - I posted something in the what camera should I buy thread to get more opinions... on whether my choice was a wise one.
I just don't want to cross post as that gets confusing...

Last edited by nech770; Jan 28, 2010 at 9:02 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 2:23 PM   #8

Nech-

I sent you a PM.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:06 PM   #9

Default are the scene modes better?

i really like the size and price of fuji...and the truth it I put it beside my brother's Canon - SD oops don't remember the model... 7MP 3x zoom camera and it produced better pics... once i chose the same iso that the canon chose.. the issue I have - how do I know what iso to choose? One thing that I didn't play with are the preset modes... you know like snow, beach etc... the question is are those better auto type modes or do they suffer from the same auto issues as regular auto mode?
If not might give in and go for canon sx200 or panasonic...zr1 or zs3
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:20 PM   #10
Super Moderator

if you are looking for a camera that performs in auto mode (that includes all the scene junk) then really the F70EXR is not the camera for you. you will not be happy with the results in any auto mode. that is because the auto mode takes away all this camera's strengths. which are improved dynamic range, good high iso performance, and a fairly flexible flash system. to make the most of these, you have to take control of the camera. the camera's auto simply will not do it.

the thing is, setting it up to work great is not that difficult. you can really use 2 settings and be fine. set up your EXR button to DR priority, auto iso 800, DR to 800, Fine, M 4:3, provia. and thats your daytime outdoor shooting mode.

then you use P mode for everything else. no flash P mode is auto-iso 1600, M4:3 Fine, DR-400%, Provia. for flash shots. use ISO 200, force the flash, M4:3, Fine, DR to auto, Provia. if you look and the flash shot is too dark, then bump up the iso to 400 or 800.

but if you just want to shoot auto, or some scene mode. return the camera, its not for you. but don't get the panasonics either, they will choose an even higher ISO for your flash shots and when they do, it will be noisier.

just get a Sony H20, it has a big flash, and will choose a lower iso when using it and just use the auto mode.