Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 25, 2003, 10:40 AM   #1
m

Default Memory card to s7000

Hello.
I recently found this forum and I think it is great
I'm about to buy a s7000 and I'd like to know what kind of memorycard I should use?
I know xD or Microdrive, but some Compact flash cards may not work, I read somewhere. And since tha cf cards is much cheaper here in Sweden it would be great if I could use those.
Any tips?
m is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2003, 4:58 PM   #2

S7000 can use xD and CFII cards. CFII means you can use both CF I and CF II. Microdrive also falls under CF I category. Hope that helped.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 11:54 PM   #3
m

Thanx
That was pretty much what I was hoping for
Old Nov 26, 2003, 2:05 AM   #4

Just be careful with sandisk C/F cards, I have 2 x Ultra 256 and I believe these are causing battery drain when left in the camera, I am using 2350 ni mi batteries and if the c/f card is left in camera it will discharge the batteries over a period of about 48 / 72 hours.

Take the c/f out and the camera will stay charged for ?????? still on test.

There is also talk of this on the dpreview site forums.

Best of luck anyway, the S7000 is a great camera. 8) 8) 8)
Agger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 5:54 AM   #5
m

Thanx for the advise
Is it just Sandisc's cards or is that a generall problem?

Can't wait to get the camera and the more I read about it here the more anctious i get
Old Nov 28, 2003, 2:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by m
Thanx for the advise
Is it just Sandisc's cards or is that a generall problem?

I'm not 100% sure there is a lot of talk on www.dpreview.com about it, general concensus seems to be stick with the xd card or microdrive (they are said to be fragile, but then again so is your camera)
Agger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2003, 7:44 AM   #7

I have a SimpleTech ProX 512MB CF Type 1 memory card and have seen the battery drain problem. I spoke with Fuji tech support last night and they suggested that they have intimations but no conclusions yet that the problem is in fact with the use of CF cards.

I think that would qualify as a design defect, and that we would need to gang up on Fuji to force them to fix the design.

I don't want to use power hungry, hot, fragile microdrives, and I don't want to use small, fragile, expensive xD media. There's a reason CF is the most popular media format.

To the comment that the camera is fragile, of course, and I wouldn't drop it. At the same time, a jostle that the camera wouldn't even notice could easily head crash a microdrive!

-Jay
libove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 9:14 AM   #8

I have used a Transcend 256 Meg Compact Flash Type 1 card with no problems with my S7000. No battery drain problems that I could detect.

By the way, Costco is selling 256 Meg xd cards for $85. That is the cheapest that I have seen anywhere.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 12:10 AM   #9
Administrator

I've done a week's worth of testing on a factory new S7000 and so far the new Ridata 512MB card doesn't seem to drain the batteries, at least not after 3.5 days. On the other hand a new SanDisk Extreme 512MB card zapped the batteries in less than 48 hours. I am using a new set of 2300mAh Powerex batteries that are fully charged in a Maha C401FS before each test cycle.

(12/8/03 update) Three days of testing with a Transcend 1GB CF card and no "low battery" alert so far.

(12/10/03 update) After two days the Lexar Pro Series 1GB 32x WA card hasn't drained the batteries.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 2:06 AM   #10

My Transcend 30x 128MB card did not cause battery drain.

Neither, so far (24 hours), does an old lower speed SanDisk 128MB card.

Kingston obligingly is sending me one of their high speed 512MB CF cards to test with. I'll report back on that when I receive it and have had it in the camera for a couple of days.

I'm working on getting Lexar to send me a 1G card to test.

-Jay
libove is offline   Reply With Quote