Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 9, 2010, 3:07 AM   #101
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 70
Default

Used to be that the S series models had RAW-but no longer on some recent models-if you want RAW, you'll have get the HS10.
babya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 7:28 AM   #102
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 217
Default

So some of you see this a really desireable product that they don't have now because of it's bigger zoom lens? I didn't see any comments about the video capabilities as being a big reason. Seems to me like it will really needs to be investigated as a HD video camera before it gets the swiss army knife tag.

So purely as a camera does this seem like a significant improvement over the S200EXR?

Bob
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 7:32 AM   #103
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,938
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by staats View Post
So some of you see this a really desireable product that they don't have now because of it's bigger zoom lens? I didn't see any comments about the video capabilities as being a big reason. Seems to me like it will really needs to be investigated as a HD video camera before it gets the swiss army knife tag.

So purely as a camera does this seem like a significant improvement over the S200EXR?

Bob
Speaking for myself, I don't by a still camera for video capabilities. If I want to capture video, I buy a video camera.
__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:16 PM   #104
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Speaking for myself, I don't by a still camera for video capabilities. If I want to capture video, I buy a video camera.

Amen

Camcorders do what they do best : Video
Still cameras do what they do best: Stills

Last edited by Gordons; Feb 9, 2010 at 12:18 PM. Reason: addition
Gordons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 1:10 PM   #105
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,092
Default

I agree. If you want video, buy a video camera and if you want pictures, buy a camera. Panasonic zs3 is the best you can go for video and audio and it still sucks quality wise. For amatures, its perfect but don't expect awesomeness.

Last edited by Cresho; Feb 9, 2010 at 5:49 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 2:52 PM   #106
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,200
Default

last century thinking

in some years there will be no cameras/camcorders - only Universal Combis.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 3:00 PM   #107
Senior Member
 
mrmacmusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Central Scotland
Posts: 274
Default

Well, I'm going to stick my neck out and vote for the convergence of technology that sees video capabilities being part of the feature set of advanced 'hybrid' cameras like the HS10. Again, it remains to be seen what the actual quality will be like, but even 720p is better than what I currently get from my mini-DV (PAL) camcorder... The fact is that if I only have my HS10 with me, I have the option of catching some good quality video as well as stills. Perfect for days out, family events, holidays...

To say that stills cameras don't do great video is nonsense - just look at what can be shot with a 5d mkII or 7d at the top end. Shallow depth of field and a real 'film' look are within reach at an 'affordable' price point. I've read of many frontline videographers shooting on DSLRs instead of very expensive 'broadcast' standard shouldercams....

Whilst that may not be at HS10 level, look at what's possible on the micro 4/3rd cameras, and advanced 'compacts' like the Panasonic FZ38. I'm sorry, but that footage is none too shabby, and would put many dedicated camcorders to shame!

There's always a tool for the job, but for the average Joe who wants to take videos of his little 'uns at the park (and who wants to try out much more creative movie making too), an all-singing-all-dancing camera/camcorder hybrid is perfect wouldn't you say..?
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 3:26 PM   #108
Member
 
Strobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nawthen Hemisphere
Posts: 90
Default

For a new guy and one that has no false aspirations of really becoming a "photographer" ..... this swiss army knife approach is grand !

I get to play with a variety of different features with one purchase..... sure, each one isn't great.... but I get a taste of what's out there and then if I want to persue that avenue I can seek out the best tool for the job at that point.

Kind of like a "hybrid" bicycle or kayak or you name it.... they don't do anything great..... but they ain't bad at a few things.

All in all, I think these types of cameras are a terrific option for a guy like me and maybe 85% of the rest of the people who don't specialize in any one format, who want above average quality pictures, (not magazine quality) don't have a ton of dough to spend and maybe not the in depth interest in the subject to begin with, but would like to learn more.

Non ?
Strobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 4:57 PM   #109
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 267
Default

''I don't really care how many shots I get with AAs, as I generally pack an extra set. They're cheap. And how many pictures are you taking in a day, anyway? (Let's see, if you are taking 300 pictures a day, that would be 109,500 pictures a year. You gonna look at them again?) How can anyone find 900 things to take pictures of in one day, or even in a week?''

Welllll I can see how many bad ones I took to get a couple of good ones.

Last edited by Andrew Waters; Feb 9, 2010 at 5:01 PM.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 6:02 PM   #110
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic View Post
Well, I'm going to stick my neck out and vote for the convergence of technology that sees video capabilities being part of the feature set of advanced 'hybrid' cameras like the HS10. Again, it remains to be seen what the actual quality will be like, but even 720p is better than what I currently get from my mini-DV (PAL) camcorder... The fact is that if I only have my HS10 with me, I have the option of catching some good quality video as well as stills. Perfect for days out, family events, holidays...

To say that stills cameras don't do great video is nonsense - just look at what can be shot with a 5d mkII or 7d at the top end. Shallow depth of field and a real 'film' look are within reach at an 'affordable' price point. I've read of many frontline videographers shooting on DSLRs instead of very expensive 'broadcast' standard shouldercams....

Whilst that may not be at HS10 level, look at what's possible on the micro 4/3rd cameras, and advanced 'compacts' like the Panasonic FZ38. I'm sorry, but that footage is none too shabby, and would put many dedicated camcorders to shame!

There's always a tool for the job, but for the average Joe who wants to take videos of his little 'uns at the park (and who wants to try out much more creative movie making too), an all-singing-all-dancing camera/camcorder hybrid is perfect wouldn't you say..?

You can get an excellent hybrid but it costs alot of money. We are talkinga about cameras in this price range. THey plain suck!

the camera you mentioned by canon, I almost purchased but we don't use dslr's here. It is bridge camera nation! after you get the camera, lenses, various filters, ohh and a rodes stereo mic for an average price of 300 dollars, you are looking at 3000-5000 dollars. Don't forget a stabalizer rig for your gear and all the weight. another 800. It's possible to have an "all in one" but not for about 700 dollars. I have a hd1000 for HD 720p 60fps stereo and I use the s200exr for pictures. BOth give me far superior quality than the average hybrid cameras of this price range.

I almost went the canon route but I was not intending to spend 5000 dollars. NO WAY! the stuff i needed was going to cost that mutch! and since i was lug around that much equipment, I rather lug around 1 video and 1 camera with no extra nonsense.

Yes. price range! We are talking about our price range. NOt going to happen.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 AM.