Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 9, 2010, 3:07 AM   #101

Used to be that the S series models had RAW-but no longer on some recent models-if you want RAW, you'll have get the HS10.
babya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 7:28 AM   #102

So some of you see this a really desireable product that they don't have now because of it's bigger zoom lens? I didn't see any comments about the video capabilities as being a big reason. Seems to me like it will really needs to be investigated as a HD video camera before it gets the swiss army knife tag.

So purely as a camera does this seem like a significant improvement over the S200EXR?

Bob
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 7:32 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by staats View Post
So some of you see this a really desireable product that they don't have now because of it's bigger zoom lens? I didn't see any comments about the video capabilities as being a big reason. Seems to me like it will really needs to be investigated as a HD video camera before it gets the swiss army knife tag.

So purely as a camera does this seem like a significant improvement over the S200EXR?

Bob
Speaking for myself, I don't by a still camera for video capabilities. If I want to capture video, I buy a video camera.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:16 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Speaking for myself, I don't by a still camera for video capabilities. If I want to capture video, I buy a video camera.

Amen

Camcorders do what they do best : Video
Still cameras do what they do best: Stills

Last edited by Gordons; Feb 9, 2010 at 12:18 PM. Reason: addition
Gordons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 1:10 PM   #105

I agree. If you want video, buy a video camera and if you want pictures, buy a camera. Panasonic zs3 is the best you can go for video and audio and it still sucks quality wise. For amatures, its perfect but don't expect awesomeness.

Last edited by Cresho; Feb 9, 2010 at 5:49 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 2:52 PM   #106

last century thinking

in some years there will be no cameras/camcorders - only Universal Combis.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 3:00 PM   #107

Well, I'm going to stick my neck out and vote for the convergence of technology that sees video capabilities being part of the feature set of advanced 'hybrid' cameras like the HS10. Again, it remains to be seen what the actual quality will be like, but even 720p is better than what I currently get from my mini-DV (PAL) camcorder... The fact is that if I only have my HS10 with me, I have the option of catching some good quality video as well as stills. Perfect for days out, family events, holidays...

To say that stills cameras don't do great video is nonsense - just look at what can be shot with a 5d mkII or 7d at the top end. Shallow depth of field and a real 'film' look are within reach at an 'affordable' price point. I've read of many frontline videographers shooting on DSLRs instead of very expensive 'broadcast' standard shouldercams....

Whilst that may not be at HS10 level, look at what's possible on the micro 4/3rd cameras, and advanced 'compacts' like the Panasonic FZ38. I'm sorry, but that footage is none too shabby, and would put many dedicated camcorders to shame!

There's always a tool for the job, but for the average Joe who wants to take videos of his little 'uns at the park (and who wants to try out much more creative movie making too), an all-singing-all-dancing camera/camcorder hybrid is perfect wouldn't you say..?
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 3:26 PM   #108

For a new guy and one that has no false aspirations of really becoming a "photographer" ..... this swiss army knife approach is grand !

I get to play with a variety of different features with one purchase..... sure, each one isn't great.... but I get a taste of what's out there and then if I want to persue that avenue I can seek out the best tool for the job at that point.

Kind of like a "hybrid" bicycle or kayak or you name it.... they don't do anything great..... but they ain't bad at a few things.

All in all, I think these types of cameras are a terrific option for a guy like me and maybe 85% of the rest of the people who don't specialize in any one format, who want above average quality pictures, (not magazine quality) don't have a ton of dough to spend and maybe not the in depth interest in the subject to begin with, but would like to learn more.

Non ?
Strobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 4:57 PM   #109

''I don't really care how many shots I get with AAs, as I generally pack an extra set. They're cheap. And how many pictures are you taking in a day, anyway? (Let's see, if you are taking 300 pictures a day, that would be 109,500 pictures a year. You gonna look at them again?) How can anyone find 900 things to take pictures of in one day, or even in a week?''

Welllll I can see how many bad ones I took to get a couple of good ones.

Last edited by Andrew Waters; Feb 9, 2010 at 5:01 PM.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 6:02 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic View Post
Well, I'm going to stick my neck out and vote for the convergence of technology that sees video capabilities being part of the feature set of advanced 'hybrid' cameras like the HS10. Again, it remains to be seen what the actual quality will be like, but even 720p is better than what I currently get from my mini-DV (PAL) camcorder... The fact is that if I only have my HS10 with me, I have the option of catching some good quality video as well as stills. Perfect for days out, family events, holidays...

To say that stills cameras don't do great video is nonsense - just look at what can be shot with a 5d mkII or 7d at the top end. Shallow depth of field and a real 'film' look are within reach at an 'affordable' price point. I've read of many frontline videographers shooting on DSLRs instead of very expensive 'broadcast' standard shouldercams....

Whilst that may not be at HS10 level, look at what's possible on the micro 4/3rd cameras, and advanced 'compacts' like the Panasonic FZ38. I'm sorry, but that footage is none too shabby, and would put many dedicated camcorders to shame!

There's always a tool for the job, but for the average Joe who wants to take videos of his little 'uns at the park (and who wants to try out much more creative movie making too), an all-singing-all-dancing camera/camcorder hybrid is perfect wouldn't you say..?

You can get an excellent hybrid but it costs alot of money. We are talkinga about cameras in this price range. THey plain suck!

the camera you mentioned by canon, I almost purchased but we don't use dslr's here. It is bridge camera nation! after you get the camera, lenses, various filters, ohh and a rodes stereo mic for an average price of 300 dollars, you are looking at 3000-5000 dollars. Don't forget a stabalizer rig for your gear and all the weight. another 800. It's possible to have an "all in one" but not for about 700 dollars. I have a hd1000 for HD 720p 60fps stereo and I use the s200exr for pictures. BOth give me far superior quality than the average hybrid cameras of this price range.

I almost went the canon route but I was not intending to spend 5000 dollars. NO WAY! the stuff i needed was going to cost that mutch! and since i was lug around that much equipment, I rather lug around 1 video and 1 camera with no extra nonsense.

Yes. price range! We are talking about our price range. NOt going to happen.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote