Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:41 PM   #121
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Royse City, TX
Posts: 2
Default

anybody know if zoom can be used while recording videos? i know the vast majority of cameras dont allow you to zoom in or out while recording...having this feature would really be great.
drphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:52 PM   #122
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

the zoom is mechanical, so yes, you can zoom while shooting video.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:52 PM   #123
Senior Member
 
Ancientritual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbia, IL
Posts: 347
Default

Do not believe all the hype. For the past few years the trend was how many megapixels can you put on a small sensor. That story is becoming old, so the new trend is which company can build the most powerful zoom. Given fuji's history with zooms, you can expect this camera to have similar problems. Even though it looks nice, why drive a car that looks like porsche, but has a yugo engine?
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 2:23 AM   #124
Senior Member
 
NoFlashPhotography's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 333
Default

What a beautiful camera.
NoFlashPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 3:46 AM   #125
Senior Member
 
mrmacmusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Central Scotland
Posts: 274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancientritual View Post
Do not believe all the hype. For the past few years the trend was how many megapixels can you put on a small sensor. That story is becoming old, so the new trend is which company can build the most powerful zoom. Given fuji's history with zooms, you can expect this camera to have similar problems. Even though it looks nice, why drive a car that looks like porsche, but has a yugo engine?
Whilst I agree that the megapixel race appears to have been superseded by the mega-"zoom" race, unless I've missed something, I thought Fuji had a (relatively) good history with zoom cameras..? Their older 'manual zoom' S-range cameras (S6000/S9100) were very popular, as are their more recent S100FS and S200EXR, largely because of how they "feel" - offering a little bit of DSLR ergonomics on a budget.

I also think looking at the technical capabilities of the HS10, the 'engine' inside sounds like it's going to have more power than a Yugo!!!
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 4:23 AM   #126
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6
Default

"Given fuji's history with zooms, you can expect this camera to have similar problems."

Could you be more specific, please?

I am not aware of any problems with Fuji zooms.

Last edited by Dapple; Feb 12, 2010 at 9:07 AM.
Dapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:21 AM   #127
Senior Member
 
Ancientritual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbia, IL
Posts: 347
Default

Chromatic aberration, pincushion distortion, barrel distortion, and general softness towards the edges are pretty common problems with these fuji's mega zooms or ultra zooms. One could argue that everyone has the same problem, that it is the nature of the beast. A trade off between technology and convenience. However, just like the megapixel race the problems with these ultra zooms will continue and will not be resolved any time soon.

For example, compare the F70EXR to the ZS3. Both are 10x zooms and JPEG cameras. The Fuji model has purple fringing problems (A majority of Fuji zooms have this problem) the Panasonic model has eliminated the problem through clever JPEG processing. Something Fuji could easily do, but since we only have history to go by, you can assume this problem will remain with the HS 10. From wide angle to the telephoto range the ZS3 has a sharper lens then the 70EXR. Noise remains a problem with the ZS3 and this is the 70EXR claim to fame. Put the ZS3 lens on the 70EXR and that would be a hands down winner.

Another concern I have is this back lit CMOS sensor. With any new technology there always a few bugs that come along with it. Does that mean Fuji has pushed EXR technology to the limits? What it all comes down to is, are you willing to gamble with $500.00. For a hundred dollars less, I can walk into Walmart and buy a A230 or E420 DSLR with a kit lens. Sure they do not have the 30X zoom, but the HS 10 could not keep up in terms of IQ....
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:39 AM   #128
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancientritual View Post
Chromatic aberration, pincushion distortion, barrel distortion, and general softness towards the edges are pretty common problems with these fuji's mega zooms or ultra zooms. One could argue that everyone has the same problem, that it is the nature of the beast. A trade off between technology and convenience. However, just like the megapixel race the problems with these ultra zooms will continue and will not be resolved any time soon.

For example, compare the F70EXR to the ZS3. Both are 10x zooms and JPEG cameras. The Fuji model has purple fringing problems (A majority of Fuji zooms have this problem) the Panasonic model has eliminated the problem through clever JPEG processing. Something Fuji could easily do, but since we only have history to go by, you can assume this problem will remain with the HS 10. From wide angle to the telephoto range the ZS3 has a sharper lens then the 70EXR. Noise remains a problem with the ZS3 and this is the 70EXR claim to fame. Put the ZS3 lens on the 70EXR and that would be a hands down winner.

Another concern I have is this back lit CMOS sensor. With any new technology there always a few bugs that come along with it. Does that mean Fuji has pushed EXR technology to the limits? What it all comes down to is, are you willing to gamble with $500.00. For a hundred dollars less, I can walk into Walmart and buy a A230 or E420 DSLR with a kit lens. Sure they do not have the 30X zoom, but the HS 10 could not keep up in terms of IQ....

I feel like you are my soul mate but I'm a dude. These are my exact comments about the zs3, 70exr, I almost went for the e420 but noticed problems in that, not severe as purple fringing, but settled with the s200exr. I changed metering mode to eliminate purple fringing. It only occurs on ends with very bright backgrounds and darker subjects. changing metering mode eliminated almost all fringing but its barely noticeable but not enough to turn me off.

Last edited by Cresho; Feb 12, 2010 at 10:45 AM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:56 AM   #129
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

Cresho-

Can you provide a more detailed answer on how you changed the metering mode, please??

Thanks! Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:23 AM   #130
Senior Member
 
Ancientritual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbia, IL
Posts: 347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
I feel like you are my soul mate but I'm a dude. These are my exact comments about the zs3, 70exr, I almost went for the e420 but noticed problems in that, not severe as purple fringing, but settled with the s200exr. I changed metering mode to eliminate purple fringing. It only occurs on ends with very bright backgrounds and darker subjects. changing metering mode eliminated almost all fringing but its barely noticeable but not enough to turn me off.
It all depends on what type of photography you like to do. HDR is becoming very popular. When you overexpose by a factor of + 2 and underexpose by -2 then combine all these images into one, you tend to encounter the purple fringing monster on steroids. Sure you can eliminate this in post processing, but that just adds an extra step.
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:16 AM.