Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 12, 2010, 3:24 PM   #131

That is why I use raw for files from the s200exr in linux. HDR is very attractive. I use the "average" metering mode with raw files. Never see any fringing in pictures.

Same with the Olympus e420 but contrast is harder to fix than chromatic aberration. gimp has a chromatic aberration tool that eliminates 99-100 percent of the problem. Contrast is impossible to fix since you lost white detail.

Sarah, basically to eliminate purple fringing, I take pictures with the metering dial set to "[ ]" in most cases. You already know that if the background is too bright, like tree leaves or branches, you get fringing. I sometimes change the dial to the other settings if I want a higher contrast picture depending on where the sun is at. It's been gloomy in Los Angeles so i can't post examples. Sun is not bright like it should be right now. In another case, if you use spot metering, you can use the EXP button next to the shutter button +/- and use the thumbdial to adjust. while holding the +/- button at the same time use your thumb to scroll "thumb dial" or "command dial"and eliminate the spike in the picture. snap one. Also last resort, when using "average metering and background is too bright and subject is too dark, pop out the flash in day. It produces wonderful results.

I been looking at the panasonic z35 pictures and I must say its an excellent camera and suffers purple fringing as well even worst than the s200exr.

My fuji camera makes it very easy for me to eliminate this problem and all buttons are not in the menu but on the dials. You can use EXR mode for an even better result. The EXR sensor ensures that Minimal spike or even maximum spike and purple fringing is suppressed in the final image. Ill try and post some examples when i have a bright sun and some chrome.

Last edited by Cresho; Feb 12, 2010 at 3:56 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 3:51 PM   #132

okay i went to my backyard and took a picture hoping to get purple fringe. I don't know so you guys be the judge.

I use "average" metering. EXR had better results. but im not posting the EXR one. The original is way sharper and much better than the picture you see here. I tried grabbing sun as much as I could on the leaves.
Attached Images

Last edited by Cresho; Feb 12, 2010 at 4:02 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 7:12 PM   #133

"If the past is any guide...."

It's not.

I own the S9100 and the S8000FD, and I have not seen any chromatic aberration on any of my photos.

I do not see any on this sample photo.

This is not to say there is no chromatic aberration in newer Fuji superzooms. Tests show there is at high magnification. But can you see it in the final image? Maybe. I don't know from personal experience.

I predict there will be no visible chromatic aberration in the new HS10, and probably in the other new Fuji models. There also will be little or no visible geometric distortion in the HS10.

Last edited by Dapple; Feb 12, 2010 at 7:40 PM.
Dapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 8:09 PM   #134

geometric distortion is very little to none on the s200exr.

Last edited by Cresho; Feb 12, 2010 at 8:13 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:02 PM   #135

Thanks, Cresho-

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:38 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapple View Post
"If the past is any guide...."

It's not.

I own the S9100 and the S8000FD, and I have not seen any chromatic aberration on any of my photos.

I do not see any on this sample photo.

This is not to say there is no chromatic aberration in newer Fuji superzooms. Tests show there is at high magnification. But can you see it in the final image? Maybe. I don't know from personal experience.

I predict there will be no visible chromatic aberration in the new HS10, and probably in the other new Fuji models. There also will be little or no visible geometric distortion in the HS10.
That is a bold prediction. I have used the S9000, 200EXR, and 70EXR. All of them suffer from chromatic aberration. Read the reviews on these cameras. Look at the sample shots. This is a well known problem and Fuji has not resolved this issue yet.
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:26 PM   #137

How would video from the HS10 compare with that from an old Sony digital DCR-TRV240 camcorder that uses the Hi8 cassettes? I can't really afford the Fuji camera AND a new camcorder right now, and my main reason for wanting a new camcorder is to get something smaller than the big ol' honking Sony. If the HS10 video is at least as good as the Sony camcorder, I can live with it for now. I'd appreciate any and all comments.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:47 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2505 View Post
How would video from the HS10 compare with that from an old Sony digital DCR-TRV240 camcorder that uses the Hi8 cassettes? I can't really afford the Fuji camera AND a new camcorder right now, and my main reason for wanting a new camcorder is to get something smaller than the big ol' honking Sony. If the HS10 video is at least as good as the Sony camcorder, I can live with it for now. I'd appreciate any and all comments.
who knows. High definition is beyond that camera you mentioned. It's like..........well you need to see it on a good pc.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 4:20 AM   #139

years ago I had a Hi8 camcorder ... comparing with today's cameras it's

THE HORROR !
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 9:16 AM   #140

So the HS10 video should be as good or better than the old Sony camcorder?
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote