Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 13, 2010, 9:32 AM   #141

I did some video shots, it 640x480 looks good but sounds bad.

No camera is as good as a modern video camera. and that sony is not as good as a modern video camera.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 9:48 AM   #142

Default A non-technical enduser's viewpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2505 View Post
So the HS10 video should be as good or better than the old Sony camcorder?
I think that's a pretty safe bet.

I have a Canon HI8 from 1994. It still works just fine. I used it up until a couple of years ago. For it's day it was pretty good. Auto focus drove me nuts though. That's one reason why even today I want the manual focus option. I shot a lot of great video in europe with that camera.

Last year I bought a Sanyo Xacti HD1010 to replace it. There's not much point in comparing these two on picture quality and cerainly size. But the lack of an eyepiece viewer is a big deal to me. The HD1010 has none. Out in the real world I cannot tell how pictures or video are turning out. With an eyepiece you have a much better chance. The point & guess cameras leave me cold for this reason. My recent purchase of a S200EXR was influenced by the mechanical zoom & eyepiece. Those work pretty well. I'm less enthralled with the how the manual focus works. My old 6900Zoom was easier to control. I wasn't all that interested in the video which is very limited. I still have some trouble reviewing the quality of the resultant pictures but it's a hell of a lot better than looking at a stupid display on the back of a camera in bright sunlight.

I'd guess that the HS10 will have all of these same controls working in good order. Motorized zooms like those on the HD1010 are audible. You probably ought to just wait for the video reviews. As a Swiss army knife it may be good enough but who knows. Can it use an external microphone? Does it have wind noise reduction? Does it record in stereo? There are some neato features on it though!

Bob S.

Last edited by staats; Feb 13, 2010 at 9:54 AM.
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 9:51 AM   #143

you are correct in every aspect staat.

did you get a look at my eye piece for the hd1000?
it is an excellent option http://forums.steves-digicams.com/sa...tabalizer.html

its called a hoodman.
http://www.hoodmanusa.com/

one more look at one closer but make sure you find the right size
http://www.hoodmanusa.com/products.asp?dept=1065
Old Feb 13, 2010, 9:56 AM   #144

i find mechanical zoom over motorozed soom better in s200exr compared to other motorized zoom. also, when you zoom, it takes a while for the camera to focus during video recording. I found the 640x480 to be excellent on my camera for video recording but the sound is lacking. I'm not aware of any mic in for this camera to improve audio recording as well. I do hear the motor of the focusing mechanism though.

Last edited by Cresho; Feb 13, 2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:25 AM   #145

I think you should clarify which camera you are refering too.
I assume you mean the s200EXR. I haven't tried the video out much on that one as yet.

Yesterday I gabbed the small HD1010 to take along for a lunch & museum visit in NYC. From inside the restaurant (street level cafe with lot's of windows) all of my photo shots sucked. Lighting wasn't the best and probably my new settings were a poor choice? Those later in Grand Central were also bad.

These were taken quickly in full auto mode and I really couldn't tell there issues from the LCD panel. My eyes aren't the greatest but I did have my glasses on. I probably should have taken more time with the details but this is supposed to be a point and shoot!

I think the HS10 will be much better because of having a eyepiece.

Bob S.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:35 AM   #146

Interesting but maybe a bit pricey? Is it clumsy to use?
Thanks for posting.
Best to stop now before we get arrested for hijacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
did you get a look at my eye piece for the hd1000?
its called a hoodman.
http://www.hoodmanusa.com/
one more look at one closer but make sure you find the right size
http://www.hoodmanusa.com/products.asp?dept=1065

Last edited by staats; Feb 13, 2010 at 2:17 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 11:04 AM   #147

3.14159 x better!
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 2:03 PM   #148

lucky-

Generally speaking, quality camcorders will always excel at video, surpassing and P+S camera. Like digital cameras, camcorders have also increased measurably in quality and ability over the last five years.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 8:08 PM   #149

Thanks to everyone. I have a Panasonic FZ50 that I'm generally happy with as a walkaround camera, but I almost never shoot above ISO200 because of noise. On paper, it looks as though the HS10 may be at least the equal of the FZ50 with the added benefit of high ISO shooting. If that's the case, I'll buy the HS10. The video performance of the HS10 won't even factor into my decision to buy the camera. I just thought with the advances in digital photography over the years that it might be as good as my old Sony camcorder. I guess I'll have to buy the camera to find out.

Last edited by lucky2505; Feb 16, 2010 at 6:29 PM.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 2:21 AM   #150

I have been looking att the S200 EXR and i wonder if the HS10 is a better camera? Can someone that owns a S200 EXR tell me what they think of the camera, pros and cons, I am not ready to take the step to buy a DSLR yet, but I want to learn more about photografy.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote