Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 2, 2010, 2:45 PM   #11
Super Moderator

The HS10 uses a backlit sensor, not the EXR system.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 4:21 PM   #12

I should definitely (maybe) have waited..... this looks like it'll suit my hands much better than the Panasonic FZ38 I recently purchased!! I for one am very keen to know what the image quality is like, and if the low-light performance is as good as expected from Fuji.....

Looking at the specs, I'm wondering what the relationship is between this camera and the Sony WX1 (etc) – is it the same backlit CMOS sensor? The high fps capability, 1080i HD and 'auto-panorama' features seem awfully similar.....

My wife is a fan of Fuji compacts. Having read lots of praise for the EXR system, we were totally unimpressed with the F200EXR which we looked at last year as a replacement for our ageing F30 compact. In all our tests, the F30 took better pictures and performed better in low-light – the fact that EXR modes halved the resolution to 6mp meant that even this was the same.... we decided to stick with the F30! Despite the also-just-announced EXR models, I wonder what the adoption of the backlit sensor means for future development...?

Yes, I would like to have seen a larger sensor, faster glass and less zoom reach.... but even so, this is a very interesting beast.
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 4:45 PM   #13

verrrrry nice such a Motion Remover

3" tilting screen

Last edited by DonalDuc; Feb 2, 2010 at 5:00 PM.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 9:20 PM   #14

Default Hang on to your hats....

Here's Oly's response !

The SP series of ultrazooms from Olympus gets two new additions today - the SP-800UZ and SP-600UZ. The SP-800UZ will feature a whopping 30x optical zoom lens, and the SP-600UZ will offer "merely" a 15x optical zoom lens. Both feature a DSLR-grade TruePic III image processor and a full slate of beginner-friendly features.
The 26x optical zoom SP-590UZ held the top position in terms of zoom reach in the ultrazoom category for 2009, besting the 24x competition just slightly. Now Olympus is reaching farther into telephoto territory with the 30x SP-800UZ, a DSLR-style fixed lens camera covering an equivalent range of 28-840mm. Tagging along is the SP-600UZ with a 15x range starting at the same wide angle 28mm and stretching to 420mm on the telephoto end.
Behind the big, bold lenses are familiar features like Magic Filter art filters and shadow adjustment technology. And just like the compacts announced earlier this year, Olympus continues to bid the xD memory format goodbye in favor of SD. Both the SP-600UZ and SP-800UZ will be compatible with SD and SDHC only.
Olympus SP-800UZ
The SP-800UZ will feature a 14 megapixel sensor and a 3.0 inch LCD. That 30x zoom lens features a maximum aperture rating of f/2.8 at wide angle and f/5.6 at telephoto. As does the SP-600UZ, the SP-800UZ combines sensor-shift and digital image stabilization to create a dual image stabilization system. Both cameras record HD video at 720p, but the SP-800UZ offers 16:9 recording and an HDMI out port.

Olympus SP-800UZ
The SP-800UZ is powered by a lithium-ion battery with a CIPA rating of 200 shots. It offers 1783MB of internal storage for shooting.
Olympus SP-600UZ
The SP-600UZ offers a 12 megapixel sensor and 2.7 inch LCD along with many of the same features of the SP-800UZ. Both systems include AF tracking for continuous focusing on a moving subject. The SP-600UZ offers the same art filters - pop art, pin hole, fish-eye, and drawing.

Olympus SP-600UZ
The differences are small. The 15x lens isn't quite as bright at wide angle as that of the SP-800UZ. The SP-600UZ's lens maximum aperture range is listed at f/3.5-5.4. The SP-600UZ takes AA batteries and has 829MB of internal memory dedicated to shooting.
It's interesting to consider that just an hour prior to Olympus's announcement, Fujifilm jumped ahead into the ultrazoom arms race with their 30x HS10. The Olympus SP-800UZ adheres to point-and-shoot functionality and build with a mechanical zoom lens, and Olympus is calling it the "World's Smallest" 30x camera. Fuji takes the 30x fixed lens camera in a more pro-aimed direction, giving it a manual zoom-only lens and a back-lit CMOS sensor. Though the specs are similar, there is still room for a lot of variation.
Pricing and availability
The Olympus SP-800UZ and SP-600UZ will both be available in March 2010. The SP-800UZ will cost $349.99; SP-600UZ will debut at $249.99.

Last edited by Strobe; Feb 2, 2010 at 9:24 PM.
Strobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 4:02 AM   #15

Oly SP800 isn't bad ... buuuuut 50% less then Fuji HS10 :-(
No tilting display, no 1920x1080, 14 mpixel at same sensor size like Fuji's 10 mpixel, noooooo zoom ring, no 24mm, and and and ...
Okay, it's smaller, but this makes not 1.place.

I have some Oly SPxxx, very good, ... but HS10 is better :-)
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 4:46 AM   #16

Thanx for the comparison DD, it looks like this year will be full of new contenders !
Old Feb 3, 2010, 5:00 AM   #17

Is it just me, or are there a whole bunch of very similarly specced cameras being announced at the minute...?

Still liking the look of the Fuji though with it's manual zoom and focus rings, and even more impressed seeing the back – where did you get those images DonalDuc??

I am wondering what the minimum focus distances will be with that 30x Fuji lens, and whether or not it'll step smoothly..... it's one big disappointment in my first days with the FZ38 that whilst it may be 0.1cm wide "to" 1m tele, that's only in one mode, and it jumps to minimum 2m throughout most of the usable zoom range.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 5:28 AM   #18

Default ...and don't forget Nikon !

[QUOTE=mrmacmusic;1047623]Is it just me, or are there a whole bunch of very similarly specced cameras being announced at the minute...?/QUOTE]

Nikon Coolpix P100 26x Superzoom: Their First 1080p Video Camera

Oh, I've waited for this day. The day Nikon delivered legit HD video. Not only does the P100 deliver full 1080p video in H.264, it shoots 120FPS bursts, and goes with a 10MP CMOS sensor for better low-light performance. Yeah.
It is a superzoom—26x (26mm-678mm), which is a little shorter than what Fuji or Olympus dropped over the last couple of days—which I'm admittedly prone to disliking, but there's a lot here in what's easily Nikon's flagship point-and-shoot.
It's the first Coolpix to switch to CMOS, cutting back to 10 megapixels to deliver hopefully better low light performance, along with built-in HDR processing. And, Nikon's first ever camera to do 1080p video, which I was told is in H.264. Hot shit, 'cause it makes me hopeful to see that in their next DSLRs. Also excellent: You can actually zoom while recording video, something of a rarity in these parts. It shoots fast too: 10FPS at full res, and up to 120FPS bursts (but only at 1.1MP, bleh).
The Fuji HS10 outguns the P100 on paper: Longer zoom, at 30x; same promise of excellent low-light performance thanks to an optimized 10MP CMOS sensor; 1000FPS slow motion video and 1080p like the P100. But, the P100 costs $100 less, running $400 when it hits in March, so it's a tough call 'til we see how they actually perform.
NIKON COOLPIX P100 ZOOMS TO THE TOP OF THE SUPER-HIGH PERFORMANCE COMPACT DIGITAL CAMERA CATEGORY WITH VERSATILE FEATURES
With a 26x NIKKOR Zoom Lens, CMOS Image Sensor and Full HD Movie Recording,
COOLPIX P100 Brings Compact Digital Camera Photography to a Whole New Level
MELVILLE, NY (Feb. 2, 2010) – Nikon Inc. today unveiled the new COOLPIX P100 digital camera, marking a series of firsts for Nikon with the debut of a CMOS image sensor and full High Definition (HD) movie (1080p) capabilities in the COOLPIX line. Additionally, with an expansive 26x Optical Wide Angle Zoom-NIKKOR ED glass lens and a 3.0-inch 460,000-dot vari-angle Clear Color Display LCD screen, the COOLPIX P100 delivers a compact camera fully equipped and readily able to expand a user's photographic potential.
The COOLPIX P100 is Nikon's first compact camera to offer full HD movie (1080p), allowing consumers to entertain audiences with movies that capture the entire impact of a scene at the touch of a dedicated movie-record button. A stereo microphone optimally mounted on top of the camera accurately captures audio to further enhance the video capture experience. Contributing to compositional freedom, both the optical zoom and autofocus functions are available while recording video. Additionally, the high-speed movie function provides the added benefit of recording movies that can be played back in slow motion or fast motion to create artistic effects. To further ease integration into an existing home theater system, an HDMI connector allows for easy playback on a compatible HDTV.
"Our portfolio of cameras is designed to ensure that any photographer, at any level, can find the camera that feels right for them," said Bo Kajiwara, director of marketing, Nikon Inc. "The P100 blends a stellar lens with creative automatic and manual features to allow the more advanced consumer to explore the boundaries of their photographic capabilities."
The Nikon COOLPIX P100 digital camera features a 10.3-megapixel backside illumination CMOS sensor, which enables high-speed shooting at 10 frames per second (fps) at full resolution and exceptional image quality even when shooting in low light settings. Other functions benefitting from the lower noise and exceptional image quality of the new CMOS image sensor include an in-camera high dynamic range (HDR) function, which merges images of the same scene to achieve a single image with a broad range of tonal detail. Additionally, the Night Landscape mode combines a series of consecutive shots taken at a fast shutter speed into a single image with reduced noise when taking handheld shots in night scenes.
The versatility of the COOLPIX P100 digital camera is also attributed to its new 26x Optical Wide Angle Zoom-NIKKOR ED glass lens. This lens offers unparalleled compositional freedom, with its wide angle (26mm) to super telephoto coverage (678mm). The broad focal range lets consumers capture a variety of shots and scenes, ranging from sweeping landscapes to action shots taking place far away on a sports field. For further versatility, this extraordinary lens allows the user to take images or video as close as 0.4 inches while in macro mode. As part of the flagship Performance Series of COOLPIX compact digital cameras, the COOLPIX P100 is the ideal photographic tool for photo enthusiasts, sports and travel photographers and consumers with more advanced photography skills who crave a high performance camera.
Additional features of the Nikon COOLPIX P100 digital camera include:
10.3-megapixels and Backside Illumination CMOS Sensor for stunning prints as large as 16x 20 inches, while retaining fine detail
In-Camera High Dynamic Range (HDR) merges multiple images of the same scene to create an image with a range of tonal detail that could not be captured in a single photo
Night Landscape Mode combines a series of images into a reduced noise composite for low light shooting
3.0-inch Vari-Angle 460,000-dot Clear Color Display LCD and Electronic Viewfinder make it easy to compose and share pictures with friends and family. The new LCD, with anti-reflection coating, can tilt as much as 90 degrees up or 82 degrees down. This enables photographers to shoot from higher angles or from the hip. The incorporation of the an electronic viewfinder enables consumers to see through the lens in most any lighting condition
5-Way Vibration Reduction (VR) Image Stabilization System
Optical VR Image Stabilization by image sensor shift compensates for the effects of camera shake, producing clearer, sharper results in lower lighting or unsteady conditions
Hybrid VR Image Stabilization combines both sensor shift VR and Electronic VR
Motion Detection automatically detects moving subjects and adjusts shutter speed and the ISO setting to compensate for camera shake and subject movement
High ISO 3200 capability creates new opportunities to take sharper, more natural-looking photos in lower light conditions (up to 10 megapixels)
Best Shot Selector (BSS) automatically takes up to 10 shots while the user presses the shutter, and saves the sharpest image
Program, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority and Manual Exposure modes give ultimate creative control over images
New Sport Continuous Scene Mode for shooting at up to 10 fps at full resolution and 120 fps for 1.1-megapixel images
Subject Tracking automatically activates autofocus while tracking moving subjects such as children and animals. Even when the subject momentarily moves out of the LCD frame, the camera will restart tracking if the subject returns in the frame within 3 seconds
Pre-shooting Cache lets users capture up to 40 shots before shutter is released. This setting helps photographers stay ahead of the action
Active D-Lighting minimizes loss of details in highlights and shadows resulting in beautiful, more natural-looking images
Smart Portrait System integrates the following features to make it a snap to capture stunning portrait photos of friends and family:
In-Camera Red-Eye FixTM automatically fixes most instances of red-eye
Enhanced Face-Priority AF can detect up to 12 faces from a variety of angles
Skin Softening ensures smooth skin tone on the face of subjects by leveraging built-in face-detection technology
Smile Mode automatically detects when a subject smiles and releases the shutter
Blink Warning notifies the user when a subject has blinked in a photo
Blink Proof detects the subject's face and automatically takes a series of sequential shots, then saves the image in which the subject's eyes are open
The Nikon COOLPIX P100 digital camera will be available nationwide in March 2010 and will retail for $399.95* MSRP. For more information on the P100 and all COOLPIX cameras, please visit www.nikonusa.com.

Last edited by Strobe; Feb 3, 2010 at 5:35 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 6:03 AM   #19

Yeah... Olympus, Fuji, Nikon... they're all at it!! How many 10mp, mega-zooming, HD-shooting, mini-not-so-DSLR's can the market handle..? Wondering what Canon will bring to the table!

It will be very interesting to see the performance and image quality from these cameras, as well as what they feel like. UK pricing too please Fuji!!
Old Feb 3, 2010, 7:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic View Post
Yeah... Olympus, Fuji, Nikon... they're all at it!! How many 10mp, mega-zooming, HD-shooting, mini-not-so-DSLR's can the market handle..? Wondering what Canon will bring to the table!

It will be very interesting to see the performance and image quality from these cameras, as well as what they feel like. UK pricing too please Fuji!!
Oh yeah Baybee ! Exciting time for me.... I feel lucky to be coming into the game new with all these "advancements" being touted ! I love ZOOM !

Seems like everybody has their favorite brand. I guess if each one didn't put out a competing product, they would risk a loss of market share and loyal base....

We shall see, we shall see..... looking forward to real world reports from guys like y'all who are in the know !