Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:22 AM   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by staats View Post
I'd just like to suggest you guys tone it down or go offline with this since there seems to be some ego based hostility involved in this contest. I think the thread is supposed to be about a potentially very interesting combo unit that hasn't even been released or tested yet. Please

Bob S.

Ya, I'll just leave it alone. besides he didn't read the whole post from the day one and tried to advertise the k7 here...just like the other guy and his 3000 dollar canon on that other post.

PRICE RANGE FOLKS>>>>READ!!!!

Last edited by Cresho; Mar 3, 2010 at 12:31 AM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 5:16 AM   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
Ya, I'll just leave it alone. besides he didn't read the whole post from the day one and tried to advertise the k7 here...just like the other guy and his 3000 dollar canon on that other post.

PRICE RANGE FOLKS>>>>READ!!!!
I hope I'm not the other guy..? I have been commenting throughout this thread, and only chipped in about video capabilities when it was stated that "stills cameras don't do video" (or words to that effect), and wanted to strike a balance.....

Maybe my point was lost. I was only trying to emphasise that there are 'stills' cameras that do half decent video, even in the same price bracket - think Panasonic FZ38 - and that 'hybrids' are perfect when all you want to do is grab short clips as well as stills. Even now, we've still not actually seen what the HS10 is capable of.... come on Fuji!!!

In theory, a separate dedicated camcorder and stills camera should render better results, but that's not always the case..... I'd also argue that a 200 stills camera plus 200 camcorder won't be as good as a 400 hybrid. With the HS10 you get massive, stabilised zoom with wide-angle (how useful it'll be at the extreme long end remains to be seen of course), that should shoot great stills and HD movies in one unit. Very compelling indeed!

Personally, I really like the idea of an "all-in-one" for family trips, and hope that the HS10 lives up to its' promises.
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:12 AM   #203

I'm guessing no one has seen the samples yet from my post on page 20? I'm very worried
Mitchsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:29 AM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchsnake View Post
I'm guessing no one has seen the samples yet from my post on page 20? I'm very worried
If it worries you, don't buy it. I prefer to wait and perform my own testing at a local store. With photos like these, under unknown conditions, I sure wouldn't be making any snap judgments.

Just my 50 cents worth.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:19 PM   #205

True, To be honest, I can't see them releasing a camera that has lower quality images than cameras like the s6500fd from 2006, which is what i currently have.

We'll see. I can't cancel the pre order so no choice anyway haha.
Mitchsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 1:05 PM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchsnake View Post
From HS10 exists NOOOOO senseful samples. Forget the few pictures, made by people they don't know this new camera and probably can only make unsharp pictures with a HelloKitty cam.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 1:15 PM   #207
Super Moderator

agreed. best to wait on some reliable samples
before making any judgments for or against.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 1:50 PM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
If it worries you, don't buy it. I prefer to wait and perform my own testing at a local store. With photos like these, under unknown conditions, I sure wouldn't be making any snap judgments.

Just my 50 cents worth.
I am doing the same thing.
I will take one ( HS 50 ) for a test drive . lots of pictures before I buy.
Also read reviews
$ 500.00 a a fair chunk of change.

What me Worry
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:26 PM   #209

Default Long time S7000 owner - looking forward to HS10

Well... I have taken many thousands of photos with my S7000 and while it has it's faults (re: aggressive jpeg compression) I have yet to find a replacement for it.

- Actual resolution of over 8MP when using RAW
- high speed shutter 1/10000 s.
- high speed 3.3fps burst mode that doesn't blank the display badly (you can still follow the subject)
- program shift
- shutter release cable socket and BULB mode
- RAW support
- 4AA power
- Fairly sharp and fast 6X lens... with my Olympus TCON-14B converter I get 300mm at f3.1.
- Dual memory cards - xD, CF
- Zoom/focus ring
- High speed flash sync, etc.
- Filter threads
- Dedicated buttons galore
- External flash
- Fairly low noise at ISO 200

It has plenty of faults like slow autofocus, and if you really want high quality shots you have to shoot RAW and still use some minimal Noiseware processing on it. Still I kept watching and the image quality of the prosumers or all-in-one's kept falling or at least not improving. Even Fuji was turning me off with their aggresive JPEG wrecking the images on the 9000 series. Fuji didn't seem to understand that the nasty JPEG was creating unremovable artifacts in the output. I had no interest after looking at the samples at Steve's, DPReview, etc.

Probably the most irksome feature that Fuji was burdening their camera's with for a long time, including my S7000 was the absurd combined Image-Size/Quality control. Who thought that was a good idea? After noting that the 9000's were still plagued by aggresive compression/noise removal artifacts I finally wrote Fuji a LONG email addressing that virtually every other camera company gave the user independent control of image size and compression quality. They said they would take it under advisement. Why I needed to write that email is a mystery considering the review sites had been nailing them on "aggressive JPEG" for quite a while. Fuji just ignored that and continued to wreck the images from otherwise fine cameras.

It was great to finally see independant control for size and quality on the S200 and now the HS10. Still I don't think they have taken it far enough and would like to see an ULTRAfine setting that really uses JPEG to a minumum.

I checked out the Canon SX20IS that I got for Mom... great for her but not for me.
- Somewhat soft output
- NO burst
- NO RAW
- etc.

Canon is DEFINITELY dumbing down their prosumers to push people to their low-end DSLR's. While I shot with an SLR for decades in the film era... I no longer want to lug around a bag of gear and frankly can't afford the really good glass anyhow so with a DSLR I end up with a bag full of slow lenses with a good imager.

Good things on the HS10
- 4AA Power... for me this is a deal breaker if not present. My S7000 functions well to this day because I don't need proprietary power. Changing a set now and again is NOT a big deal for me.
- SD cards... say goodbye to the slow xD format and it's 2G limit
- 60fps EVF option
- Highlight clipping indication - nice SLR feature!!!
- Image Stabilization
- 10 fps burst mode
- very nice
- Auto EVF switching with menu option to control it. VERY NICE idea originally found on Minolta's
- LOVE the WB find tuning... it's about time. My S7000 was always too blue on auto.
- Copying from internal memory to memory card (nice attention to detail)
- Limited Auto ISO modes... nice was of giving the camera a little rope but not enough to hang the image quality
- RAW + JPEG mode
- Fast mechanical shutter
- Pro low light mode
- Silent "nature" mode is a nice quick adjustment.

Things they should have done better...
- DARKFRAME SUBTRACTION! and they should have a cable release - mech. or electronic. My little Canon A620 P&S (awesome P&S!) had dark-frame subtraction built in! The little warning on p32 in the manual about hot pixels on long exposures really shouldn't have to be there. WHY HAS FUJI NEVER INCLUDED THIS GREAT FEATURE??? I do a fair amount of lightning photography during the Florida Summer's so dark frame would really help. Yes... I do it manually, but it's a pain.
- One more step in compression (quality) control would be nice. N,F,Ultrafine - Really big files are not a problem when I want good quality skies.
- I think the GIANT zoom range is going to be a liability. I love Fuji lenses but this may be taking it too far to please stupid "more is always better" consumers.

All that being said... It comes down to these two issues for me. They will determine if I buy the HS10
- IMAGE QUALITY (low noise up to ISO 400 required, usable 800 would be nice)
- Focus speed

With the S7000 I could get great images especially shooting in RAW with the some post processing in Noiseware. I expect better from the HS10 or I won't bother. Video quality is just a bonus for me. Not a requirement. Hoping I can finally retire the S7000... or at least use it as a 2nd camera.

Scott

Last edited by ScottS7k; Mar 4, 2010 at 1:40 PM.
ScottS7k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:32 PM   #210

What the heck happened to my line feeds. I went back and added all of them and it still looks like that. ARGH!!!!

Finally fixed it... I had to use Internet Explorer to do this... ICK!

Scott

Last edited by ScottS7k; Mar 4, 2010 at 1:05 PM.
ScottS7k is offline   Reply With Quote