Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:40 PM   #331

Quote:
Originally Posted by daved163 View Post
Finally, check one unhappy user at http://www.photographyblog.com/news/..._finepix_hs10/ (search the page for Jan to get the the right paragraph).
Am I going to buy one? Probably
Definitely worth reading. I guess it does pay to wait a bit. What's the rush?
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:43 PM   #332

Maybe he's just a bad photographer - it does happen!

Last edited by daved163; Apr 6, 2010 at 5:28 PM.
daved163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 4:31 PM   #333

[QUOTE=daved163;1075763]I have repeatedly asked Fujifilm, to no avail, what the difference is between the P10NC02660A & P10NC02670A as both seem to be available in the UK but these part numbers are apparently not connected with the HS11 (Chinese market) and the HS10 (everywhere else). [/QUOTE]

IT'S AN ERROR.

You cannot get HS10 for 120 - 150 € - how to see in > 10 advertisings.
It's another camera.

Last edited by DonalDuc; Apr 6, 2010 at 4:36 PM.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 5:11 PM   #334

No, don't worry about the daft prices - I guess that's just the cowboys trying to muscle in so people will bookark their page and just buy at whatever silly price they end up by charging.
There are several reputable UK companies listing one or the other and even, in one case, both! The adverts look identical but presumably there must be some difference, even if it's only the packaging???
http://www.morecomputers.com/extra.asp?pn=p10nc02670a
http://www.morecomputers.com/extra.asp?pn=p10nc02660a
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...amera/p1519344
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...amera/p1519344
In the case of warehouseexpress if you put ...70A into Google you get the same page as putting ...60A in. Weird.
daved163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 8:29 PM   #335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapple View Post
"Given fuji's history with zooms, you can expect this camera to have similar problems."

Could you be more specific, please?

I am not aware of any problems with Fuji zooms.
I had and used a Fuji S9100 for 18 months maybe thousands and thousands of pictures with it. It was the best camera I ever used to that point and I wish I still had it! Never had an issue with any Fuji camera. I have tested or used Fuji S5100, S5200 and S9100 - using 5200 for 1 year and 9100 for 18 months with no issues.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 1:26 AM   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by daved163 View Post
Hi, new to this forum see new members for details...
Joining Steve's has been prompted mainly by my frustration at the lack of shots which will stretch the HS10. I know everyone lucky enough to have got their hands on one will be busy shooting away but could I ask that those who post samples tell us what the basic camera settings were for the shot and try to be a little more adventurous than just exercising the 720mm setting! Thanks.
On a general note, I'd like to make the following observations. On all forums there are those who seem to delight in comparing chalk with cheese and whilst Steve's is certainly one of the least afflicted it still does happen from time to time. Even in this thread there are unrealisitc comparisons between dSLRs and dVRs. Here's my two-pennyworth. An SLR, digital or otherwise, has a different raison d'etre to a compact or bridge camera. Ignoring factors like build quality, weight, etc. It's there for one reason only and that is to allow the serious photographer to choose the best lens for the task in hand, based of the fact that a fixed focal length lens will offer the best possible performance, particularly with respect to the more esoteric issues such as sweet spots, aberations and distortions. Multi-focal length lenses can only ever offer a compromise between flexibility/ease of use and performance and whilst the trend is for ever-increasing zoom ratios on compact & bridge cameras the SLR world has remained fairly static since the introduction of CAT lenses many years ago. A professional photgrapher (which I'm not) will generally prefer to have 2 or 3 bodies with low ratio lenses chosen to cover a variety of expected needs rather than a single body with a high ratio zoom, because the compromise detracts too much from the quality of the finished article - the photograph! Add to that the better facilities for adjusting the aperture on SLRs and features such as depth of field preview and TTL flash guns, sadly lacking on most if not all compact & bridge cameras as far as I know, then there may be very good reasons for choosing a much more expensive SLR. But that's the point, it is a choice.
Similarly, comparisons between video and stills cameras seems to me to be a complete waste of energy. If making movies is your thing then invest in the best VR you can afford and if it will take a few snaps as well then all to the good. Equally, if you're into stills photography then accept even a poor video recording ability as a bonus ;-)
Now, back to the HS10. As an aside I've confirmed that the HS10 does not come with a lens hood (presumably they saved cents by not moulding the usual groove into the end of the lens barrel) nor does it have a flash sync socket, which is perhaps my biggest gripe. I have repeatedly asked Fujifilm, to no avail, what the difference is between the P10NC02660A & P10NC02670A as both seem to be available in the UK but these part numbers are apparently not connected with the HS11 (Chinese market) and the HS10 (everywhere else). Anyone know for sure? It's also interesting that Fujifilm's own samples are very limited in scope and really offer no good indication of noise, etc.
Anyway, it would be grand to see some samples taken in low light at higher ISO settings as this has been one of the most asked questions in the past few weeks and also of some of the features which purport to make this a pretty good all-rounder.
Sorry about the essay!
Finally, check one unhappy user at http://www.photographyblog.com/news/..._finepix_hs10/ (search the page for Jan to get the the right paragraph).
Am I going to buy one? Probably

I already know the s200exr takes nicer pictures. He even said it. But for most, this camera will fit the bill. For myself, This is something I can carry around in the car and pop it out when I want to. The automatic features will be a plus since they seem to work better in my opinion and from what I have seen in amature shooters.

Last edited by Cresho; Apr 7, 2010 at 1:28 AM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 1:27 AM   #337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
I had and used a Fuji S9100 for 18 months maybe thousands and thousands of pictures with it. It was the best camera I ever used to that point and I wish I still had it! Never had an issue with any Fuji camera. I have tested or used Fuji S5100, S5200 and S9100 - using 5200 for 1 year and 9100 for 18 months with no issues.

dave

Hey Dave
Do you have any xperiance with Canon - ie. S5, G6, or a newer one maybe ?
This question just to find out what you would prefer and why (Fuji or Canon)
Claus
Tresman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:57 AM   #338

Some people dont actually look at the camera but only the ideas that other people give about it.
So much hype about DSLRs. I have done alot of research on them. I can safely say that the really good bridge camera is a much better overall product than many of the basic DSLRs out there.
The only SLRs that are really outstanding in image quality are the pro DSLRs which are well over 1000 (without the fancy lenses).
So many of the basic DSLRs produce images that are either the same or even inferior to good bridge cameras. And dont forget they cost 100s more and much heavier and bulkier to carry around.

Regards,

guus
Attached Images

guus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 4:22 AM   #339

nice! no light no nothing and it looks good.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:16 AM   #340

This one looks good too.
I hope the magic camera arrives end of this week.

Regards,

guus
Attached Images

guus is offline   Reply With Quote