Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:13 PM   #381

Talking of SanDisk, does anyone have one of the old RescuePro mini-discs that use to be provided free with Sandisk cards - they now have a coupon for a free download but the registration only lasts a year?
daved163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:34 PM   #382

Why people always pay for Sandisk's marketing s.h.i.t.s ?
30 MB (not Mb = Megabit) are read speed, every cheap class2/class4/class6 has read speed 16-18 MBps. Your camera's interface cann't read with 240 Mbps !!!

Important is WRITE speed, guaranteed for
class2 = 2 MBps
class4 = 4 MBps
class6 = 6 MBps
class10 = 10 MBps

Canons fullHD cameras (SX1, 550D, 5DMkII, 7D ...) make 43 Mbps = 5.4 MBps - each class6 ist fast enough.

"30MB" is a bad joke, read the small printed ... "30MB read speed" (on backside?)

Fastest camcorders make video with 17-27 Mbps = class2 to class4 !

SanDisk Extreme III 30MB/s SDHC 4GB Class6 has same price like a Transcend SDHC 8GB Class10 :-|
I think this Transcend Class10 is faster then above Sandisk Class6 :-) ... but if you have the double money ....

Last edited by DonalDuc; Apr 12, 2010 at 3:06 PM.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 3:08 PM   #383

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuc View Post
Why people always pay for Sandisk's marketing s.h.i.t.s ?
30 MB (not Mb = Megabit) are read speed, every cheap class2/class4/class6 has read speed 16-18 MBps. Your camera's interface cann't read with 240 Mbps !!!

Important is WRITE speed, guaranteed for
class2 = 2 MBps
class4 = 4 MBps
class6 = 6 MBps
class10 = 10 MBps

Canons fullHD cameras (SX1, 550D, 5DMkII, 7D ...) make 43 Mbps = 5.4 MBps - each class6 ist fast enough.

"30MB" is a bad joke, read the small printed ... "30MB read speed" (on backside?)

Fastest camcorders make video with 17-27 Mbps = class2 to class4 !

SanDisk Extreme III 30MB/s SDHC 4GB Class6 has same price like a Transcend SDHC 8GB Class10 :-|
I think this Transcend Class10 is faster then above Sandisk Class6 :-) ... but if you have the double money ....
Mb/MB - I stand corrected. Currently my biggest card is 1Gb and if I have to replace them it makes sense to get fast ones in order to future-proof my purchase as much as possible. I know Transcend is a lot cheaper and in at least one review it has beaten the Sandisk Extreme III by a whisker. But that test was on one specific digicam (can't remember which) and transfer rates vary wildly according to the camera and just what you're doing. Also, many current reviewers are using this card so it is something of a benchmark and if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me. The point is that I want a card which is fast enough for it to be eliminated as a bottleneck for the HS10 and anything else I might use the card in in the next 2-3 years.
The read speed is important if you have a UDMA reader, which I plan to get some time, so transfers to my PC will be as fast as possible (I've generally not used raw before and I intend doing so with the HS10 so I'll have bigger files than I've been used to.) I have no interest whatsoever in video so I will probably just make sure it works on the HS10 and then never use it again, so I preferred 2 x 4GB instead of 1 x 8GB and, with memoryzoo's Easter offer, they were hardly more than the Transcend! If the offer hadn't been there I would have bought Transcend .

Last edited by daved163; Apr 12, 2010 at 3:11 PM.
daved163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 6:46 PM   #384

OH! i got a transcend 8gb class 10

and the doubt might be because my mom didn't allow me to buy it, even though ill be the one whos gona pay OR because not sure if it's gona be alright for filming OR not sure about money wise.

it's probably because im not sure if it's going to be okay for filming......

oh should i also get that rubber hood? and filter too? if so what kind of filter?

Last edited by MR.DOM; Apr 12, 2010 at 6:54 PM.
MR.DOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 3:54 AM   #385

Quote:
Originally Posted by daved163 View Post
The read speed is important if you have a UDMA reader, which I plan to get some time, so transfers to my PC will be as fast as possible
Ouuuuh, you are the inventor of SDHC-UDMA? Congratulations!

Or do you use the brandnew SDHC-CF-adapter from Sandisk.Co.Inc. ?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 3:57 AM   #386

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.DOM View Post
if so what kind of filter?
The only filter which make sense is a polarizing filter (< $ 5). All others are for the cat and make less IQ
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:32 AM   #387

how about the rubber hood? good? bad?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 6:44 PM   #388

In bright sunshine ... it's good.
But from my pictures are only 13.14159% in bright sunshine ... others: no hood (wether rubber nor plastic) neccesary.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 6:28 PM   #389

it seems jessops online have them in stock now but not yet the locals.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:21 PM   #390

Default Thanks Mr.Dom

Just wanted to say thank you for your post about Jessops. Been after an HS 10 for weeks, ordered one from Tesco direct who's distributors told me today that they were expecting 43 on order but received just 13 and definately won't have more before Early May. They can't source any stock in the UK.
I tried Jessops and my local store (Mcr) received their first one today. Needless to say it's now sat next to me. They don't have any more and are not expecting any more unfortunately but worth trying other branches!
rallsopp is offline   Reply With Quote