Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 4, 2010, 3:22 PM   #31
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strobe View Post

Anyone here ever feel strongly enough about a camera, based on literature (propaganda) to "pre-order" ?

A Spy
someone has to be the guinea-pig! are you volunteering??
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 4:08 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strobe View Post
Anyone here ever feel strongly enough about a camera, based on literature (propaganda) to "pre-order" ?

A Spy
I did that ONCE. And, while IQ was nice (not GREAT), it was not nice enough to keep. The build was cheap, it handled like crap ergonomically, and the menu system sucked. All things I could have discovered had I just walked into a local shop and fondled it. Mercifully, I found a suc... uh... buyer for it that was willing to pay what I paid for it. Glad I got a good price for it because I broke even.

On another question about the HS10:

Does Fujifilm have a dedicated flash for this type of camera? It's single contact.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; Feb 4, 2010 at 5:28 PM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 4:50 PM   #33

No, Gary-

Fuji does not have a dedicated external flash to mount on that single contact hot shoe. I have used a Nikon SB-20 on my Fuji S-200, but it is not a perfect match. It is a little inconsistent.

For me the Fuji HS-10 looks interesting, but I will wait for the professional reviews and for the price to drop.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 5:17 PM   #34

Default DSLR's ain't for everyone....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahmatt View Post
Oh come on. Doesn't anyone feel that this camera is stretching it a bit?
Maybe but then no more so than all the other mega-zoom models recently announced.

Quote:
I don't know about you, but I don't care for a 720mm long end. I'm pretty sure there will be compromises on optical quality. It's likely that at 720 everything will be soft. Give me a super sharp lens with little to no chromatic aberrations from say 28 to 200 and that would impress me. Who needs 720 anyway except spies and stalkers?
I'm pretty sure there will be compromises too, but it's not fair to say everything will be soft at 720mm until we see the proof of the pudding! It's very likely that optical 'anomalies' such as chromatic aberrations and distortion will be corrected "in-camera" anyway, so you'll never know how good (or bad) the optics are until you shoot RAW - it could turn out to be superb and sharp! As for who needs 720mm anyway? Spies and stalkers maybe, but it's a very useful length for a lot of situations wildlife, airshows, sports etc.etc... It's not that slow at f/5.6 and a tele macro focus distance of 2m at 720mm (1m super macro?) makes the 720mm end all the more versatile.

Quote:
4AA batteries again. If they could make that 3 batteries and reduce the weight it would be so good. i.e while maintaining 300 shots. Or maybe they could invent lighter AA rechargeable batteries. My S6500FD shoots at 400 shots for every 4AA's, so this is a downgrade for me.
Well, AA's are cheaper than proprietary lithium-ion, and available on just about ever street corner should you need 'emergency spares' that's got to be a plus point? Considering some cameras can't manage 200 shots from an expensive re-chargeable cell, I'd happily buy a couple of sets of decent capacity 2800mAh AA's with fast charger.

Quote:
What I really want to see from Fuji is an entry level DSLR. Something to compete with the likes of Nikon, Canon, Pentax and Olympus. Fujinon lenses are as good as what the giants make and I see no reason why they just can't give us this option. And look at the body of the HS10. It's got all the wheels and dials and dedicated buttons of a mid-range DSLR. Make it lens interchangeable dammit!
Why? As I see it, that's not the point of the HS10. Wheels, dials and dedicated buttons are a good thing!! There are lots of people (me included), who'd really rather not carry around loads of lenses, and find compacts just too fiddly.... Lets not even talk about the cost of putting a 24-720 range on a DSLR achieving this with interchangeable lenses would put a major dent in your wallet!!!

I reckon even if the image quality is only 8/10, the HS10 is still shaping up to be a winner, at least for some DSLR ergonomics, extensive feature set, HD video, fantastic lens range and (hopefully) legendary Fuji low-light capability..... it's maybe not the camera for you (or the upgrade you were hoping for), although it would be very interesting to know how the HS10 compares with it's older brothers, including your S6500FD.

Me? I will be looking very closely at the expert reviews, and trying to get my hands on one asap!!
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 5:24 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
....But I agree 720mm is a bit much - and probably not very usable (certainly not while hand-holding the camera). But up to and including 500mm might be.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but surely if there's enough light such that you can get the shutter speed up to 1/800 or thereabouts, then hand-held shots at this length will be perfectly feasible...? There's always the tripod option of course!
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 6:03 PM   #36

Default Be the First on your block !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
someone has to be the guinea-pig! are you volunteering??
You got it Hards ! Oink, Oink ! I'm just about thhhiiisss close from pullin' the trigger....

I hear ya GJ.... that sums up my main concerns, however with a seller like Amazon, who will most likely graciously guarantee me a refund if I was not 100% satisfied, it might just tip the tables and make me do something wild and crazy like I have never done before !

It's true, the menu and ergonomics will play into this heavily. Except for the big box stores, there ain't much of a store selection round these parts for a guy to go to, to fondle the goods first, unless he ventures into the big city.... I'd rather wait for the big brown truck !

I'll gamble a little... the part that will hurt me is when I see the price come down a couple months after it's release !

A spy....

(who happens to love Birding in the bush and on the coast with my tripod ! I'm gonna love that ZOOM ! I just know it !)
Strobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 7:01 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
No, Gary-

Fuji does not have a dedicated external flash to mount on that single contact hot shoe. I have used a Nikon SB-20 on my Fuji S-200, but it is not a perfect match. It is a little inconsistent.

For me the Fuji HS-10 looks interesting, but I will wait for the professional reviews and for the price to drop.

Sarah Joyce
So, that would make it incapable of TTL, correct? It would have to be set manually?
My Gallery

--

Last edited by gjtoth; Feb 4, 2010 at 7:20 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 7:12 PM   #38

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7EoAE14Z9k

BIS-CMOS sensor

Last edited by DonalDuc; Feb 4, 2010 at 7:17 PM.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 7:26 PM   #39

Gary, that is correct, as I understand it.

While you have a hot shoe it is, still a manual flash situation.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 8:31 PM   #40

Default Pouring a little fuel on the fire

http://bhphotovideo-player.sundaysky...tml?sku=673587
My Gallery

--