Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 19, 2010, 5:52 AM   #411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Hey, isn't this Sainsbury's in Plymouth ????
Yup!
Ed Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 6:36 AM   #412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Bray View Post
Yup!
Isn't it just as you leave Plympton? I use to live in Plympton for nearly seven years before moving to Finland!

Thanks
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:14 AM   #413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Isn't it just as you leave Plympton? I use to live in Plympton for nearly seven years before moving to Finland!

Thanks
It's actually at Marsh Mills, Plympton is a suburb of Plymouth, and yes, Marsh Mills is on the western edge of Plympton.
Ed Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:40 PM   #414

Default Fuji HS10 not brilliant in Low light/Night Shots

I think the Fuji HS10 is a great concept

However, if youre buying it for use at night & low light, you will be very disappointed with the results. Because of the minimum f5.8-11 at zoom end, the pictures will be very dark

Heres some sample pics from the fuji site:
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...ges/index.html
jalond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:48 PM   #415

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalond View Post

However, if youre buying it for use at night & low light, you will be very disappointed with the results. Because of the minimum f5.8-11 at zoom end, the pictures will be very dark

Do you have one?
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:56 PM   #416
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalond View Post

jalond:

No offense, but I noticed you just made a similar post to three different forum threads about this camera within 5 minutes.

Do you understand the basics of photography?

The reason I ask is because of your comments in this post (implying that you'll get a darker image because you're using a narrower aperture) implies that you need to learn a bit more about basic photography before making those types of comments, especially about a camera that I suspect you've never seen or used.

That's not the way exposure works at all. A camera's autoexposure system is designed to use a slower shutter speed when using a smaller aperture opening (represented by a higher f/stop number), for a given lighting and ISO speed.

For example, these should all produce an image of the same brightness at a given ISO speed and lighting level:

f/2.8, 1/200 second
f/4, 1/100 second
f/5.6, 1/50 second
f/8, 1/25 second

IOW, I'd suggest that you don't make posts telling people they'll get a darker exposure because a camera doesn't have an aperture as wide until you have a better understanding of how exposure works.

The same concepts apply to both film and digital. So, if you go to your local library and find a book on basic photography, that may help you to understand some of the concepts of exposure and how aperture, lighting, ISO Speed and shutter speed work together to give you a properly exposed image.

Otherwise, you'll probably find me stepping in to threads you've posted in to help make sure you're not misleading members with false information (apparently based on incorrect assumptions about how exposure works).

I'd also suggest you don't make multiple posts bashing a given camera model in a short time frame like you just did with posts in 3 different threads in 5 minutes. Otherwise, I may think you're doing it deliberately to upset owners of that camera, and if that happens (I think you're doing it deliberately to upset owners of a given camera model, which is not the case now), then you will no longer be welcome here.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 2:40 PM   #417

Default Fuji HS10 My apologies

I understand about apertures. What I dont understand is why this camera struggles so badly in low light, for lots of different users & even on fujis website. I assume because it doesnt expose properly in low light , despite the marketing claims. Ive made a fair comment ie that its ok in daylight but if you wanted this as a low light camera then you might be disappointed. I like the camera in daylight like I said but I think that Fuji is a bit misleading in its description that its good in that area. I have not knocked anyones pictures or said anyone was wrong to buy it. I just said it has that flaw. I'm sorry if it is not allowed to comment about flaws in cameras on this site. If you check my posts, I have also praised its good points ie colour & daylight use & features. I do not work for any camera company. I was just disappointed that the camera doesnt deliver all that it promises in its marketing. I didnt realise comments on camera performance & picture quality in various situations, werent allowed in these forums. My apologies
jalond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 2:48 PM   #418
Administrator

Your comments do not reflect how a virtually any modern camera works (implying that you'll get a darker exposure because it doesn't have an aperture as wide).

That's false, since a camera's autoexposure algorithms will simply use a shutter speed that's twice as long for each one stop difference in available apertures for a given lighting and ISO speed if you're using the same metering settings, allowing you to get an image with the same exposure (brightness) as you'd get using a lens with a wider available aperture.

The types of comments you made are misleading to members, which is why I stepped into this thread to begin with. That you made comments in 3 different threads about this camera within 5 minutes (even though I suspect you've never even seen or used one), also influenced my decision to step into this thread.

To say that if a given lens is not as bright (i.e., your comments about the available apertures), and that it may require slower shutter speeds for proper exposure would be one thing. To say you'll get a darker exposure because of that is just plain wrong, and implies you do not understand basic photography concepts. Since those types of comments are very misleading to members that may be looking at this camera model, I felt it was best to step in and make sure members know that your comments are incorrect.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:27 PM   #419

Not to mention that you don't own one to make fair judgement.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:35 PM   #420

Default Thank You JimC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Since those types of comments are very misleading to members that may be looking at this camera model, I felt it was best to step in and make sure members know that your comments are incorrect.
Thanks for speaking up and looking out for us new guys JimC... much appreciated here.

Does this mean I really can't believe everything I read on the internet ?
Strobe is offline   Reply With Quote