Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:57 PM   #421

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalond View Post
I understand about apertures. What I dont understand is why this camera struggles so badly in low light, for lots of different users & even on fujis website. I assume because it doesnt expose properly in low light , despite the marketing claims. Ive made a fair comment ie that its ok in daylight but if you wanted this as a low light camera then you might be disappointed. I like the camera in daylight like I said but I think that Fuji is a bit misleading in its description that its good in that area. I have not knocked anyones pictures or said anyone was wrong to buy it. I just said it has that flaw. I'm sorry if it is not allowed to comment about flaws in cameras on this site. If you check my posts, I have also praised its good points ie colour & daylight use & features. I do not work for any camera company. I was just disappointed that the camera doesnt deliver all that it promises in its marketing. I didnt realise comments on camera performance & picture quality in various situations, werent allowed in these forums. My apologies

Ya this is just an opinion and also misleading. I am guilty as well in other cases but what can i say? speak your mind up buddy but there are people here and other results and even my results of a s200exr that will beg you to differ.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 5:19 PM   #422

Sorry everyone, if you've taken my comments wrong. I take my knowledge of apertures from using a Canon 5D DSLR. It may be that their lens quality doesn't apply to compact cameras. I've found that zoom lenses ie Canon L 24-105mm which has a minimum aperture of f4-5.6 , performs much worse in low light, handheld, than my Canon L 28-70mm with minimum aperture f2.8 , Handheld. I don't usually carry a tripod, as most people do when travelling, so having a faster lens with a f2.8 I find really helps to get a better exposed picture , at night. The difference in price between a min f2.8 vs an f4 min, can be 500 more because of the better performance in low light handheld, irrespective of shutter speeds, because its harder to lower the shutter speed when your handholding ie 2 secs, if you dont have a tripod. I've found that if I try & handhold at f5.8 & above I get a much darker picture. Whereas if I use f2.8-f4.4 I get a well exposed picture with the same shutter speed. In relation to the camera I commented on, when its zoomed , (handheld) I cant go lower than f5.8 -f11 , I have tried it & I find it almost impossible to handhold & get a sharp pic. Thats all I meant. The pictures on the fuji website also show theres a difficulty in low light. I dont have the same problem handholding the fz38 which allows me to use f4.4 at 480mm at night, Ive tried the same 480 zoom test on the Fuji . The more I zoomed the harder it got. Thats all I meant. Even at wide angle at night I had the same problem with dark pictures. I'm sorry to have mentioned it , its just my experience with the camera. Maybe no-one else has had the problem but I've brought it back. Maybe I just got a faulty one, but I love photographing night scenes so I was very disappointed. I won't mention it again
jalond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 6:57 PM   #423

Jalond-

Thanks for posting your opinion.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 9:50 PM   #424

Just wanted to let everyone know my camera arrived today and had issues right out of the box. The images had a very blue cast to them as if I had a blue filter on the camera. I changed the WB and it made the images have a purple tint. So I reset the camera menu, changed a few defaults and the camera is working well now. The test images (walking around the neighbor and shooting a few boats out in the lake that had me using 20x to 30x zoom factor) I took today came out very good especially the ones at full tele-photo length. Now to see how it works when I get called out to document fire and rescue stuff.......
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:14 PM   #425

Excellent!! I'm glad you persevered!
andytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:17 PM   #426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know my camera arrived today and had issues right out of the box. The images had a very blue cast to them as if I had a blue filter on the camera. I changed the WB and it made the images have a purple tint. So I reset the camera menu, changed a few defaults and the camera is working well now. The test images (walking around the neighbor and shooting a few boats out in the lake that had me using 20x to 30x zoom factor) I took today came out very good especially the ones at full tele-photo length. Now to see how it works when I get called out to document fire and rescue stuff.......
Glad you got it sorted out. Please post some examples of your tests. Thanks.
2raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 1:09 AM   #427

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalond View Post
Sorry everyone, if you've taken my comments wrong. I take my knowledge of apertures from using a Canon 5D DSLR. It may be that their lens quality doesn't apply to compact cameras. I've found that zoom lenses ie Canon L 24-105mm which has a minimum aperture of f4-5.6 , performs much worse in low light, handheld, than my Canon L 28-70mm with minimum aperture f2.8 , Handheld. I don't usually carry a tripod, as most people do when travelling, so having a faster lens with a f2.8 I find really helps to get a better exposed picture , at night. The difference in price between a min f2.8 vs an f4 min, can be 500 more because of the better performance in low light handheld, irrespective of shutter speeds, because its harder to lower the shutter speed when your handholding ie 2 secs, if you dont have a tripod. I've found that if I try & handhold at f5.8 & above I get a much darker picture. Whereas if I use f2.8-f4.4 I get a well exposed picture with the same shutter speed. In relation to the camera I commented on, when its zoomed , (handheld) I cant go lower than f5.8 -f11 , I have tried it & I find it almost impossible to handhold & get a sharp pic. Thats all I meant. The pictures on the fuji website also show theres a difficulty in low light. I dont have the same problem handholding the fz38 which allows me to use f4.4 at 480mm at night, Ive tried the same 480 zoom test on the Fuji . The more I zoomed the harder it got. Thats all I meant. Even at wide angle at night I had the same problem with dark pictures. I'm sorry to have mentioned it , its just my experience with the camera. Maybe no-one else has had the problem but I've brought it back. Maybe I just got a faulty one, but I love photographing night scenes so I was very disappointed. I won't mention it again
I am a Canon DSLR user (1DsMk3 + 6 L lenses & others) with 30 years plus of experience and I would be surprised if you could get a sharper picture handheld in low-light with the 28-70 f2.8 L over the 24-105L which has a four stop IS and a constant f4 aperture (not the f4-f5.6 as you have stated), and you are still talking tosh, handheld at 2 seconds with no IS, you are having a laugh!

You have quoted that at f2.8 you get a brighter picture than you would at f5.6 with the same shutter speed, well of course you will, you are letting 4x less light through (2 stops).

It is obvious that you do not really know what you are saying and do not have sufficient photographic knowledge to substantiate your arguement.

If you do not like the HS10 fair enough, but giving misleading (and just incorrect) information is not going to help your cause!
Ed Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 7:18 AM   #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2raj View Post
Glad you got it sorted out. Please post some examples of your tests. Thanks.
It might be a day or two but I will do that.......
Old Apr 20, 2010, 2:14 PM   #429

Default 2nd Person to have HS10!!! i wanted first but hey :P

I GOT IT!!!!! OKAY !! what i want you to do is tell me what test i should do and/or what settings you wanna know and video samples and those things

first thing ive noticed is you cant focus at 720zoom if your subject is near you, lets say 3-4 feet away? second the focus is having problem with shiny things. errrrr, thats all for now i guess........

Manual focus is awesome because what it does is it gives you zoomed in box in the middle that will help you focus on the object

for me it's awesome but i havent done much testing. the battery supplied didnt last long.

Last edited by MR.DOM; Apr 20, 2010 at 6:32 PM.
MR.DOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:37 AM   #430

I got almost 300 shots using Eneloops before they had to be replaced.

dave