Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 2, 2010, 3:35 PM   #541

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Mine does not slide out of the camera.
That's good to know, a real pain with the heavy DSRL lens that extends about 8" and gravity just zips it all the way out when the camera points down.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean with the EVF thing... like "live preview"?
Does the brightness of the image change? Can you see differences in DOF on the screen? Is what you see on the screen what the picture will be?

Quote:
You can pick up a nice 58mm Hoya CPL for it. A Raynox DCR-250 or DCR-150 works extremely well with the HS-10. And, for added reach, an Olympus TCON-17 with pop your reach out to 1224mm!
Not sure my hands are steady enough to deal with the 720 let alone 1224... Sounds like there's some neat add-ons to open the features of the HS10 up even more.

THANKS!
infinitempg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 4:01 PM   #542

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitempg View Post
That's good to know, a real pain with the heavy DSRL lens that extends about 8" and gravity just zips it all the way out when the camera points down.

Does the brightness of the image change? Can you see differences in DOF on the screen? Is what you see on the screen what the picture will be?

Not sure my hands are steady enough to deal with the 720 let alone 1224... Sounds like there's some neat add-ons to open the features of the HS10 up even more.

THANKS!
RE: brightness - You'll get a very brief preview - about 1.5 seconds to see it when you 1/2 press the shutter button.

I don't think anyone's hands are steady enough for it with the TCON. It's pretty much a given that you'll need a tripod with it onboard. You'll need one anyways for really good photos.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 4:35 PM   #543

Quote:
RE: brightness - You'll get a very brief preview - about 1.5 seconds to see it when you 1/2 press the shutter button.
Cool, that's good to know!

Quote:
I don't think anyone's hands are steady enough for it with the TCON. It's pretty much a given that you'll need a tripod with it onboard. You'll need one anyways for really good photos.
I agree, have a nice sturdy tripod I use with my DSLR with a quick release head. Even have a macro X-Y slide for macro shots on the tripod and a macro ring light for the end of the lens and I believe I have a 58mm adapter, too.

Thanks! About to buy this beast.

Oh yeah, any good cases that are easy to carry and the camera snuggles in nicely? And how does it hang from the shoulder strap? A lot of cameras are meant to sit on the chest basically so they sit with the lens horizontal but for those of us who sling them over one shoulder that isn't the way we prefer (or *I* prefer), would rather it hang lens down. And any water-proof or weather-proof cases? We kayak a lot and don't care to test the depth it can handle... like probably 0-meters
Old Aug 2, 2010, 5:04 PM   #544

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitempg View Post
Cool, that's good to know!

I agree, have a nice sturdy tripod I use with my DSLR with a quick release head. Even have a macro X-Y slide for macro shots on the tripod and a macro ring light for the end of the lens and I believe I have a 58mm adapter, too.

Thanks! About to buy this beast.

Oh yeah, any good cases that are easy to carry and the camera snuggles in nicely? And how does it hang from the shoulder strap? A lot of cameras are meant to sit on the chest basically so they sit with the lens horizontal but for those of us who sling them over one shoulder that isn't the way we prefer (or *I* prefer), would rather it hang lens down. And any water-proof or weather-proof cases? We kayak a lot and don't care to test the depth it can handle... like probably 0-meters
It hangs horizontal... until you put the TCON on it Sorry, I can't recommend any bag as mine's not kept in one. I see where you would find it useful but my philosophy is: If it's in the bag, it ain't taking photos. I've lost too many good shots fumbling with snaps, zippers, etc. while extricating a camera from a bag. And velcro fasteners may as well be small thermonuclear devices when it comes to shooting wildlife. RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPP! shot gone. Just my nickle's worth. You might want to invest in Zagg's Invisible Shield, too.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 5:12 PM   #545

Quote:
It hangs horizontal... until you put the TCON on it
Hehehe.... so just how much commission do you make off them? I'll definitely be shopping more after I get my foot in the door.

Quote:
Sorry, I can't recommend any bag as mine's not kept in one. I see where you would find it useful but my philosophy is: If it's in the bag, it ain't taking photos. I've lost too many good shots fumbling with snaps, zippers, etc. while extricating a camera from a bag. And velcro fasteners may as well be small thermonuclear devices when it comes to shooting wildlife. RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPP! shot gone. Just my nickle's worth.
I agree but when it's in my pack on a day long mountain bike ride, or on a long hike in the Florida sun, I don't care to have it bouncing around or baking in the sun. Has to be in a pack and although I agree about not easy to access, it beats having it disappear into some swamp muck or have the screen die from being a bazillion degrees...

Quote:
You might want to invest in Zagg's Invisible Shield, too.
You don't have to tell me that twice, have them on my DSLR rear screen, my GPSr screen, my PDA screen, my cell phone screen, etc. I swear by that stuff.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 9:26 AM   #546

Did a quick check last evening and compared the dim's of the HS10 to my existing stuff :

Sony A100 DSLR with 28-250mm Tamron lens
5.38"W X 4"T X 6.5" to lens (retracted) - 2lbs-7oz

Konica Minolta Z3 with extender to protect lens
4.38"W X 3.38" T X 4.38" to lens 1lb-1oz

HS10
5.1"W x 3.6"T x 5.0" lens - 1lb-6oz

So the HS10 is a little smaller and lighter then my A100 but quite bigger then the Z3. The big advantage is the 1.5" depth difference to my DSLR and a full pound lighter.

Yeah, think it's time to order this puppy....
Old Aug 3, 2010, 3:41 PM   #547

HI

Have a ? What color box did yours come in, the GOLD or the BLack
Box. Just wanted to ask. Mine came in a Black / green haven't opened
it yet still at work. Cant wait to get home.

Thanks Len
Got mine from China
ATCLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 12:15 PM   #548

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCLen View Post
Have a ? What color box did yours come in, the GOLD or the BLack Box. Just wanted to ask. Mine came in a Black / green haven't opened it yet still at work. Cant wait to get home.
Mine won't arrive until Friday but I can let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCLen View Post
Got mine from China
I was going to do that when I got my Sony A100 DSLR but found that no dealer in the US would touch it if it needed warranty work, would basically come without any warranty at all. There were some subtle differences, too. I think from the Fuji site the ones sold in the US are listed as HS10's and the ones from overseas are actually HS11's. Even on the Fuji site it lists :

*Model availability may differ depending on the country.

I have needed warranty work on some electronics lately so not going to take any chances on dropping around $500 without a safety net
Old Aug 4, 2010, 8:24 PM   #549

Hi

Mine was a HS10 not the HS11. This camera is great so far. I did not like the EVF on my S100fs. The HS10 is alot better. also better than my FZ35
I have all three camera's. I like the feel of the HS10. I went to the website and registered the warranty and it took it. Also sent me a email thanking me. I got my warranty from Square Trade 3 yrs for under 40.00 just in case. The build on this camera is great feels very nice. yes the zoom and focus get in the way of the flash housing when turning but i'm already getting use to it and made afew hand changes. I going on a shoot this week after work cant wait. I ordered a hood from Fuji and a LCD 12 layer 3.0 lens protector today. Looks like I might be selling my FZ35 !
LOL

I do have one ? about the mechanically stabilized CMOS sensor with high ISO sensitivities and advanced multi-frame digital stabilization . I was looking on other sites and they said there was no true stabilized on this, all eletric. I think that is not true because you can here the cmos lock on shut down just like my dslr did and also how can it be mechanical if the cmos dont move.. all the fuji sites and some articles say mechanical plus digitial IS and High ISO ( Triple) . I wish they would show the setup . I like looking at stuff like that . and had pics of the CMOS setup. They do talk about it alot. any links please forward would like to check it out.

Len
ATCLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 4:14 AM   #550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
Pity, mine came thorugh a couple of days after. Phone up for another then sell the late one to some needy HS10 owner!
I finally did get two very poor quality Fuji HS10 "manuals". The print quality was poor,faded like their printer was low on ink. The print was crooked and i can't really call this a manual because it was printed out on huge 8.5" x 11" printer paper which is hilarious i guess since they sent me letters along with the manuals...stating on how Fuji was trying to be more enviromentaly friendly by not including manuals with their cameras.... yet they wasted all this paper..... hahaha

So much for fuji canada...

Oh yeah...the pages of these so called "manuals" were held together by on single staple in the corner.
Mike6969 is offline   Reply With Quote