Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 5, 2010, 6:20 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic View Post

I think you've missed the point... the HS10 is not a compact camera! It's an all-singing, all-dancing advanced bridge camera - a step up from your average compact or point-and-shoot, and especially useful to those that don't want (or need/can afford) a DSLR outfit, and would prefer the manual control, ergonomics and feel of a larger camera.

On paper, the HS10 offers an awful lot of camera for the money, and without seeing samples or technical reviews we have absolutely no idea whether or not this will be every bit as good as the S6500 was in it's day.
Manual controls (presumably the manual zoom ring), ergonomics, feel of a larger camera, cost <-- These are indeed valid reasons for buying a large camera.

I agree on waiting for the technical reviews.

I could be completely wrong about the HS10 of course. You may get fantastic overall IQ and be completely happy with the purchase. But since it seems to me as if marketing has gotten ahead of engineering, I am a tad pessimistic, that's all! :-/
Shahmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:18 AM   #52
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahmatt View Post

The Fuji gives reasonable results, beating out the A100, but only very marginally more noisy than the rest. The 400D (Rebel) was king at the time if I remember.
if you would say it gives reasonable results, then yea i agree its a good digicam. but still the laws of physics are there, the sensor is much smaller, and noise in a iso400 night shot is simply not the only part of the equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Wrong. Every heard of a camera called the Sony R1. what a camera it was. Too bad, sony left that road.
What a lens that cam had... I almost bought it
ok you caught me on a technicality, i was referring to small sensor digicams, not things like the R1 or the Sigma's, X2's, etc.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:20 AM   #53
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahmatt View Post
I could be completely wrong about the HS10 of course. You may get fantastic overall IQ and be completely happy with the purchase. But since it seems to me as if marketing has gotten ahead of engineering, I am a tad pessimistic, that's all! :-/
it is definately possible they have overstepped their bounds here and 30x may be a bit much. but, then again, it is a tiny sensor, making that big of lens work might be possible. especially with the incamera processing they can do to remove CA's etc.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:47 AM   #54

I was going to go for the Casio EX-FH25 but after seeing this... wow.
ckthegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:21 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but surely if there's enough light such that you can get the shutter speed up to 1/800 or thereabouts, then hand-held shots at this length will be perfectly feasible...? There's always the tripod option of course!
All of this is absolutely true. I was alluding to the tripod option when refering to challenges for handheld use. But a lot of nature photographers will tell you it can be real work doing quality hand-held photography out past 500mm. Quite possible, of course. But one has to know what one is doing to get quality above the snapshot level.

On a seperate matter, I'm not so sure the optical quality of this camera's lens will be all that bad. Remember, the 24-720 focal range is a full-frame equivalent, not the real zoom range. On a sensor this small, the lens may be actually zooming in the area of 5-125mm.

For example, the Canon SX20 has a full-frame equivalent zoom range of 28-560mm. But it actually zooms 5-100mm. That's a crop factor of 5.6. Considering the Fuji has the same-sized sensor, one can apply that formula and discover that the HS10 actually zooms from 4.8-128mm. (Not a bad guess on my part above, right?) There are a lot of perfectly serviceable lenses for DSLRs with similar zoom ranges from the major camera and lens makers.

The challenge for the HS10 will be the sensor size - not the lens. But with a backlit sensor, I'm willing to wait until I see photo samples from a production camera before making any judgement. I have high hopes.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:36 AM   #56

Its kind of a turn off,its the same size as an s2000hd (not the same sensor) But I was reading further and THis sensor is the same one being put into the nikons, panasonics, canon, ....

Toshiba makes the sensor. I'm not sure but I was browsing on my phone when i was reading this.

The cmos is an excellent option for video with max framerate of 60. This is also good for night shots and also fast moving objects. I think fujifilm wanted to try this out. As I was saying before, I think fujifiilm experiments with new sensors at the start of the year and end with there own technology at the end of the year like the exr or s200exr of last year and also the s100fs at the start.

anyway, i was reading and got some good info on the sensor. If you look up the sensor info on the net, toshiba's name pops out. Also, the other major hitters such as nikon are incorporating it.

Its like you get a mustang xl at the start of the new car model and after the end of that model line 5 years down the road,the last release is a special edition bosch or SVT.

sensor search 1/2.3-inch BSI-CMOS

results

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Last edited by Cresho; Feb 5, 2010 at 11:50 AM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:44 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post

On a seperate matter, I'm not so sure the optical quality of this camera's lens will be all that bad. Remember, the 24-720 focal range is a full-frame equivalent, not the real zoom range. On a sensor this small, the lens may be actually zooming in the area of 5-125mm.

For example, the Canon SX20 has a full-frame equivalent zoom range of 28-560mm. But it actually zooms 5-100mm. That's a crop factor of 5.6. Considering the Fuji has the same-sized sensor, one can apply that formula and discover that the HS10 actually zooms from 4.8-128mm. (Not a bad guess on my part above, right?) ....I have high hopes.
The front view I saw of the camera shows:
Correction - that was the Nikon.. sorry!
4.2-126

And I have seen several references to the sensor being Sony??
- Ray
Also hopeful

Last edited by rayainsw; Feb 5, 2010 at 11:57 AM.
rayainsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 3:52 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
I have a feeling that if you get it, I won't be too far behind. I just want to FEEL it and check it out. "Once burnt, twice learnt"
Come on now... let's do it ! I bet they don't charge your card till shipping time and if more info comes out that steers us away, I 'll bet we can cancel !

You guys know B&H pretty well..... think they'll give us a group buy price ?

Mummy, mummy...mummy...mummy look, mummy... mummy
Strobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 3:54 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strobe View Post
Come on now... let's do it ! I bet they don't charge your card till shipping time and if more info comes out that steers us away, I 'll bet we can cancel !

You guys know B&H pretty well..... think they'll give us a group buy price ?

Mummy, mummy...mummy...mummy look, mummy... mummy
I know they will cancel or refund. I've already checked with them, Adorama, and Amazon. Group discount... uh... doubtful.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 4:00 PM   #60

Default You're at least one step ahead of me....

Heh, heh, heh... no flies on this guy ! Well, I guess you've done some of my homework.... Thanks for confirming my suspicions. If I had a contact @ B&H, I could explore a discount... Is this site somehow connected ?

It probably is too early in the game for any of them to be offering a break.... At this stage, they don't really have to do they ?

Last edited by Strobe; Feb 5, 2010 at 4:04 PM.
Strobe is offline   Reply With Quote