Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 5, 2010, 5:18 PM   #61

Strobe-

No, ususally just introduced cameras tend to sell at their MSRP price for at least 4 months and sometimes 6 months. For example, the best selling Panasonic ZS-3 camera fell to an all time low of about $225 right after the introduction of its successor camera. Today (05 Feb) the ZS-3 price has rebounded to around $260.00 once more.

That is not the usual pattern, but if a camera is very popular (examples: Panasonic FZ-28 and Canon SX-10) the price dipped and then progressively rose until all forner inventory of those cameras were depleted. When the retail inventory was depleted, used camera prices on the SX-10 and FZ-28 then began to gradually face once again.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 8:23 PM   #62

Shahmatt...

Your battery link:

http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=4079

[Uses four AA batteries; 300 shots per charge using alkalines]

My battery link:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10...hs10series.asp

[AA batteries provide excellent performance (up to 700(TBD) shots per charge when using NiMh cells)]

shoturtle said,

“Actually that is just ok if you can only get 700 between battery change. The pentax DSLR K-x gets 1200 shot with 4 AA rechargeable batteries and 1400 with lithium disposable one. I would expect more form a smaller camera a smaller sensor then 700.”

So you think 700 shots is just OK from a bridge camera? Perhaps you could identify three bridge cameras that can do better than 700 shots per charge with AA batteries? OK, include Li-Ion batteries. OK, how about one? How about one bridge camera that can get 500 shots per charge? Take your time...maybe someone will come out with one.

The K-x isn’t really germane to this discussion, but since you brought it up, the CIPA std rating for this camera (according to Pentax) is 1100 shots for lithium batteries, 420 shots for NiMh, and 130 shots for alkalines.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 8:30 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinniethehun View Post
Shahmatt...

Your battery link:

http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=4079

[Uses four AA batteries; 300 shots per charge using alkalines]

My battery link:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10...hs10series.asp

[AA batteries provide excellent performance (up to 700(TBD) shots per charge when using NiMh cells)]

shoturtle said,

“Actually that is just ok if you can only get 700 between battery change. The pentax DSLR K-x gets 1200 shot with 4 AA rechargeable batteries and 1400 with lithium disposable one. I would expect more form a smaller camera a smaller sensor then 700.”

So you think 700 shots is just OK from a bridge camera? Perhaps you could identify three bridge cameras that can do better than 700 shots per charge with AA batteries? OK, include Li-Ion batteries. OK, how about one? How about one bridge camera that can get 500 shots per charge? Take your time...maybe someone will come out with one.

The K-x isn’t really germane to this discussion, but since you brought it up, the CIPA std rating for this camera (according to Pentax) is 1100 shots for lithium batteries, 420 shots for NiMh, and 130 shots for alkalines.

the Hun
Actually I shoot the K-x, and with 2700 NIMH, I get about 1100 shots,.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 8:57 PM   #64

Congratulations!

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 9:01 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinniethehun View Post
Congratulations!

the Hun
It is not mine, I own a T1i, but I get to borrow one form my brother when I want to change thing up a bit.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 5, 2010 at 9:51 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 9:46 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Strobe-

No, ususally just introduced cameras tend to sell at their MSRP price for at least 4 months and sometimes 6 months. For example, the best selling Panasonic ZS-3 camera fell to an all time low of about $225 right after the introduction of its successor camera. Today (05 Feb) the ZS-3 price has rebounded to around $260.00 once more.

That is not the usual pattern, but if a camera is very popular (examples: Panasonic FZ-28 and Canon SX-10) the price dipped and then progressively rose until all forner inventory of those cameras were depleted. When the retail inventory was depleted, used camera prices on the SX-10 and FZ-28 then began to gradually face once again.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Just the facts Ma'am.... thanks Sarah ! I knew I came to the right place !
Strobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:37 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strobe View Post
Heh, heh, heh... no flies on this guy ! Well, I guess you've done some of my homework.... Thanks for confirming my suspicions. If I had a contact @ B&H, I could explore a discount... Is this site somehow connected ?

It probably is too early in the game for any of them to be offering a break.... At this stage, they don't really have to do they ?
At this stage of the game, they don't even have the camera!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:12 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
if you would say it gives reasonable results, then yea i agree its a good digicam. but still the laws of physics are there, the sensor is much smaller, and noise in a iso400 night shot is simply not the only part of the equation.
The two important considerations in sensor size are image noise and depth of field. The S6500FD competes in the image noise department easily. As for DOF, it can do a f/2.8 to f/4.9 from 28 to 300mm, which I think is good. The camera uses a 1/1.6" sensor, which is larger than what's in the HS10 and in most non DSLR cameras.
Shahmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:35 PM   #69
Super Moderator

.. and dynamic range and per-pixel sharpness, etc... and noise is not the only picture in high-iso performance, the fuji uses a pretty heavy handed noise reduction algorythm that destroys fine detail that just doesn't happen with DSLRs.

again, not saying the s6500/6000 isn't a great digicam. but its still a digicam and when you say it rivals dslrs, thats just misleading and uninformed.

and the DoF, at only 2.8 to 4.9, even with the slightly larger 1/1.6" sensor is still huge and not even in the league of dslrs. so that statement is just wrong.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 12:27 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
.. and dynamic range and per-pixel sharpness, etc... and noise is not the only picture in high-iso performance, the fuji uses a pretty heavy handed noise reduction algorythm that destroys fine detail that just doesn't happen with DSLRs.

again, not saying the s6500/6000 isn't a great digicam. but its still a digicam and when you say it rivals dslrs, thats just misleading and uninformed.

and the DoF, at only 2.8 to 4.9, even with the slightly larger 1/1.6" sensor is still huge and not even in the league of dslrs. so that statement is just wrong.
All DSLRs use noise reduction. I thought the Fuji's was not heavy handed, as you claim. And in any case you can shoot Raw to counter the problem.

As for DoF. f stops that are less than 2.8 are expensive. Most kit lenses with DSLRs come with f stops of 3.5 or greater. I do not think you can compare apples and oranges.

I fully understand that a DSLR gives far more flexibility than a fixed lens camera. My statement is that the "IQ" of the Fuji rivaled "entry-level DSLRs" for the time. With features like Raw, larger than average sensor, excellent high ISO noise control, at half the cost, it made the camera a compelling argument. So I stand by my statement.
Shahmatt is offline   Reply With Quote