Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:43 PM   #1

Default Is the F70EXR recommended for an amateur?

I am what I would consider a VERY amateur photographer. I have only used P&S cameras, and I need to replace my Canon SD400.

I want a good camera with at least 5x optical zoom to take pictures of my kids, both inside and outside. I want it to fit in my pants pocket for easy portability. I want it to have image stabilization. And I want it to be in the $200 price range.

I will most likely only be using the standard, automatic settings. Most of you here are excellent photographers, that can take advantage of the manual settings offered by cameras. Would the F70EXR be too advanced for someone like me?
Muley05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muley05 View Post
I am what I would consider a VERY amateur photographer. I have only used P&S cameras, and I need to replace my Canon SD400.

I want a good camera with at least 5x optical zoom to take pictures of my kids, both inside and outside. I want it to fit in my pants pocket for easy portability. I want it to have image stabilization. And I want it to be in the $200 price range.

I will most likely only be using the standard, automatic settings. Most of you here are excellent photographers, that can take advantage of the manual settings offered by cameras. Would the F70EXR be too advanced for someone like me?
Only if you'd be willing to take the time to use it to it's fullest advantage. "Automatic" in most cases just isn't going to get the best out of this camera.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:59 PM   #3

I'm not looking to take professional quality photos. Just good pictures to share with family, put in albums, etc. Mostly 4x6 prints with the occasional 8x10.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:15 PM   #4
Super Moderator

its not a camera i recommend to amateurs. it takes some fiddling to get it set-up properly, and from there it requires quite a bit of control to get the best out of it.

there are many other options that will do 8x10 with much less work.

Panasonic's ZR1 is around 200$ now
Sony H20 i just saw it at 199$ yesterday
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:21 PM   #5

The ZR1 has a bad reputation for indoor shots because of a weak flash. The H20 is far too big for my purposes.

I bought a Samsung HZ15W this week, but it is a little bigger than I would prefer. I need it to fit in my pocket.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:27 PM   #6
Super Moderator

well regardless, i don't think they f70exr is right for you, especially with flash shots, you have to take control of the camera to get anything good. i am guessing this is not something you will want to do.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:30 PM   #7
Super Moderator

maybe look into the sony w series. 370 or 350 might fit your needs at around that price. and are pretty small.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:31 PM   #8
Super Moderator

or canons sd1300is if you can live with a 4x zoom.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 4:00 PM   #9

5 of my friends have the F70EXR now - all of them rank amateurs - and all of them are delighted with their new cameras. I recommended using EXR mode for the first few weeks. I told them that after that, they could try changing to AUTO and setting the ISO to 400 instead of the default 1600 ISO.

Guess it depends on whether the user is expecting to get Pro grade photos out-of-the-box or whether they are starting out with normal point and shoot usage.

As with any new camera, I also recommend that if they want to get serious with photography, they should take a course. There are many on-line that are decent to give them a better grasp of the technology and terms as well as composition and lighting.

So from my personal point of view, I think that the F70EXR is definitely a good starting point for most people.
Gordons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2010, 4:15 PM   #10

Gordon,
I disagree with you - as an amateur on a quest for a camera now... I got the f70exr as it was recommended by the camera people in the store... and after seeing the shots it can take... I ended up returning it since it really took a lot of fiddling and playing with to get good shots... If you are happy with noisy shots, unnecessarily then it might be ok. However, the auto mode.. chooses an iso that is too high, and yes for high iso they are good pics... but there no reason for it to chose iso 800 whenever the flash fires... so I needed to manually set the iso.. to 200 or 400... I am a busy mom and playing with the settings means I miss the shot... just my experience though.
I am now trying to decide between the samsung wb550/hz15 and the canon sx200, both of which have better auto modes.
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote