Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:02 AM   #11

spot with indoors i guess
average when sun is sunny and i add flash to it sometimes especially if the light is behind subject.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 2:22 AM   #12

So is anyone using the Focus Check option which blows up the center of image while you're focusing?

I just wondered about your impressions of the usefullness of this feature.

Bob S.
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 8:12 PM   #13

Default I'm done with this camera

Today we had wonderful weather and I took the camera on a walk along the Hudson river. I didn't get one good shot and I tried EXR D-range priority mode with manual focus as well as auto focus. I've never had such trouble getting a decent shot with a camera before. My old Fujifilm 6900zoom and Sanyo HD1010 produce better results. Hell, my film camera produces vastly superior results. There are just way too many options to set and none of the automatic ones can produce consistent results. I can categorically state that you have no idea what you're going to end up with as a picture based upon what's seen in the eyepiece. My 6900z is not like this. Either I got a bad one or this camera just sucks. Maybe you pro guys can make it work for you but I'm tired of this.

Here are photos all of which appear to be of the similar focus quality when I take them. More to follow.
Attached Images

Last edited by staats; Mar 20, 2010 at 8:26 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 8:25 PM   #14

The tree stump is just awfull inspite of my very careful attempts to manually focus the camera. The Canadian goose is reasonably good and the shot of the apartment building across the river is done at full zoom on a hazy day so I'm not disappointed with that one.

Then there are a couple of helicopter shots at extreme zoom while moving which are OK with me as well. They were autofocus multispot mode.

A decent goose shot once again on auto I believe.

The last is a shot of a barge perhaps a manual focus but I'm not certain. In any event it's terrible.

It seems like I just can't manually focus this camera and there are plenty of times that the autofocus won't lock so I need to figure this out.

Any ideas as to why this camera is giving me such fits?

Bob S.
Attached Images

Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:02 AM   #15

staats,

You are a classic example of someone who has screwed around with so many different settings on your camera, that you can’t take a single decent picture with it. To begin with, all of your pictures have a disgusting blue overtone to them. Wonder why? Because you have your white balance set to manual, and adjusted to ‘tungsten’. Unless you think the sun is a giant incandescent light bulb, none of your outdoor pics will ever appear natural. Why are you trying to use manual focus on every shot? You say you can’t get a focus lock, but I don’t see any reason why you could not in any of the pictures you posted (with the possible exception of the barge pic).

Reset all your camera settings to default. Put your camera in “P” mode, set the ISO to 100, go back outside and try to take some of these same pics again and post the results.

Then, when you encounter a problem with a particular subject, experiment - but with one variable at a time.

And by the way...that’s not a Canadian goose - it’s a Canada goose.

Enjoy your new camera.

The Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:30 AM   #16

You may be right about futzing with too many settings but your attitude certainly isn't very helpful.

"And by the way...that’s not a Canadian goose - it’s a Canada goose."

Is this really necessary? If you want to do something like that send it to me privately and use a real name. I don't remember attacking you personally so what gives?

If you haven't caught on yet, I'm frustrated. Sorry if that bothers you. I have received suggestions from people with a decidedly different attitude than yours and have tried them. I will look into your suggestion for the white balance. I don't remember purposefully setting that at all but I agree a reset to default is probably a good idea.

Now to take a page from your book of effective approaches even a moron has a good idea once in a while. So, about the focusing, let's try explaining this again.

I have tried many different approaches manual and automatic to being able to get consistent results focusing. The automatic focusing just isn't always getting decent results for me. So I tried focusing manually. Go back and read my comments again. I have two other cameras and I don't have an issue focusing them so though my eyes have degraded with time it's not my eyes causing this. I will reset the camera to default and see if this has any effect on the camera's ability to focus consistently. I don't expect the auto focus to always be perfect but if I can't effectively focus the camera manually then there's a problem.

Update:
Now as for your suggestion about my having the camera set to 'tungsten' well I'm new to this camera . For these latest shots I tried setting it to one of the automatic modes 'EXR' D-range which is suggested by Fujifilm for the conditions in which I was shooting. The film simulation is Velvia, again suggested by the camera. The WB fine turne under this mode is set to the camera default. The overall WB is set to Incandescent so I will reset that to Auto but could this have any effect on focusing?

Bob S.

Last edited by staats; Mar 22, 2010 at 3:59 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 4:35 AM   #17

i kind of agree with the guy above you staat, you played around with the camera to the point where you got lost.

I don't have the issues your having at all. All my pictures come out good besides taking toddler shots which very around 2 blurred pics out of 10.

Here let me show you average and spot metering. I use average like 99 percent of the time and when its too dark, i switch it to the spot ones. Here is a perfect example.

i think ill go to the park tomorrow and take some swan and duck pictures. I keep seeing the pany z38 duck shots, few are excellent but tons have chromatic aberration in a real bad way. It bothers me since i have really good vision.

Reset your camera, use p settings and tweak it once a day. use average spot metering. I mean tweak one setting a day till you figure it out. Kinda like a punishment. Cuz your doing 100 mph not knowing what's going on. I recommend you use iso 400 and 800. THese give good blur lesser result.
Attached Images

Last edited by Cresho; Mar 22, 2010 at 4:47 AM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 5:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
i kind of agree with the guy above you staat, you played around with the camera to the point where you got lost.
OK. You've been the most helpful. Thanks for responding. I wasn't disagreeing with his suggestions. It was his attitude that was uncalled for.

But other than switching from P mode to EXR and back plus some ISO changes (I have used those suggested) what is it that have I been futzing with too much? Specifics please.

Yes I have switch the spot and multi metering for the reasons you've demonstrated in your examples. Thanks for sharing them. I can't say I'm always paying attention to all the pertinant settings for every shot though. The latest examples were on a very hazy bright day with what is still very much a dead grey subject, 1st day of spring after several brutal storms here. Frankly, I was concentrating on how the focusing was working.

BTW, the focus assist mode that zooms the focus area while you're adjusting I find to be be unhelfpful. It's a bit distracting the first time you use it but I think you can get used to that. I just think the viewfinder quality sucks in this mode.

I don't remember setting the BW balance ever yet it is set to incandescent. So I must have done that one.

I did see that a reviewer had similar issues with this camera. So maybe I'm not the only one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
There is an article comparing the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38 and the Fuji FinePix S200 EXR in "Photography Monthly", December 2009 issue
I must say, the article, beginning on page 104 by Roger Payne, focuses on three cameras, The Canon PowerShot SXi, Panasonic Lumix FZ38 and Fuji FinePix S200 EXR. Roger Payne picked it as the best of the three cameras, noting specifically that it fits well in your hands, it is easy to use the manual zoom control and dedicated buttons. Comes with plenty of functions, trumping both of its rivals here EXCEPT in HD movies. The reviewer believes it takes the best picture (see pages 110-111).
He faults the camera, though, saying that the autofocusing system occasionaly proved indecisive, most notably in low light situations. He thoght that the button layout on the body could be more organized and could not get to grips with the electronic viewfinder.
The next set of shots will be after a camera reset as suggested. I am still interested in the EXR mode though because some the first shots I took in Golden Gate Park under very tough conditions turned out much better that I would have expected and I'd like to explore those features more.

Bob S.

Last edited by staats; Mar 22, 2010 at 5:53 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 5:59 AM   #19

Hope things sort themselves out. EXR should be very useful and rewarding for Fuji cameras. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:06 AM   #20

staats (Bob),

“You may be right about futzing with too many settings but your attitude certainly isn't very helpful.”

And what attitude might that be? Is that a good attitude or a bad attitude? And how did you determine that from my reply to your post?

“Is this really necessary? If you want to do something like that send it to me privately and use a real name. I don't remember attacking you personally so what gives?”

Why should I send you something privately? Wouldn’t that defeat the purpose of a forum? And when did I attack you? What words did I use to attack you...the spelling of a species of goose? Boy, those sound like fighting words to me!

“I'm frustrated. Sorry if that bothers you. I have received suggestions from people with a decidedly different attitude than yours...”

“And here you go with that “attitude” thing again. How can you determine the attitude of people from what they post in a forum?

“Now to take a page from your book of effective approaches even a moron has a good idea once in a while. “

My book? And which book is that? And now you’re calling me a moron? Talk about a personal attack! Talk about an attitude! Why don’t you send that comment to me privately, and be sure to include your address - maybe I’ll stop over and we can discuss it at length.

“The automatic focusing just isn't always getting decent results for me. So I tried focusing manually. Go back and read my comments again. “

Don’t have to read it again - once was sufficient. I clearly stated in my reply, “You say you can’t get a focus lock, but I don’t see any reason why you could not in any of the pictures you posted (with the possible exception of the barge pic).” Doesn’t that indicate to you that I had read your post?

“I wasn't disagreeing with his suggestions. It was his attitude that was uncalled for.”

Dude, your ‘tude is showing now. Don’t worry, I won’t try to help you anymore. I won’t bother you with my attitude. I won’t suggest you read your owner’s manual...or take a photography class...or seek professional help for your inferiority complex...

Have a great day...

The Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote