Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 24, 2010, 1:41 AM   #41

these have embedded exif.
Attached Images

Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 4:37 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
the edited shot is just lowered brightness and increased contrast. That's all.

have you tried fiddling with the types of focus options?

They say use area focus for normal shots and spot focus for macro shots.

I use spot focus for everything.

Try using exr resolution priority mode with spot focus aka center focus

Its in the menu->af mode->center, multi, or area
Yes before the MAJOR reset. I did notice the effects.

I've kept the "futzing" to a minimum since except for picking the EXR mode.

Let me try them again and see if I can focus with a closer range before I have to hit the macro options.

Pigeons? What no hummingbirds? ;>))

I wonder if the HS10 would be good for getting motion shots/video of hummingbirds.

Bob S.
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:42 AM   #43

Default A little more about focus ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibbling View Post
All the shots here (both users) are good! I would say to Bob that manual focus is very dicey for distance shots, and especially for birds! I only ever use it for macros as it nearly always results in a totally blurry photo.
One final tip - if you prefer to use the auto-modes to begin with, use the EXR Resolution Priority, not EXR Auto, because it takes too much (esp focus) out of your control. The Resolution Priority mode is also an auto-mode, it will take care of the exposure (shutter & aperture) but still allow you choice of ISO, Focus (and optional stuff on the menu like Film, Sharpness etc) - all you have to do is half press the shutter on something (assuming you have Focus wheel on the left to 'S') and you can have a look at what the exposure is about to be should you take the shot. The +/- button at the top also gives you a say in the brightness of the shot, and adjusting this can be handy for deliberately trying to 'induce' the camera to choose a higher shutter speed (which reduces the chance of blurring). Just hold down this button and turn the wheel leftwards, darkening the image, and as you do so the shutter speed will increase slightly. If the shots seem too dark just increase the ISO. It's not as fool-proof as manual mode but it's a handy semi-automatic mode to start taking good photos.
Good luck!
Hi Fibbling (Hey that's some name? :>) )

So you only use the focus in macro or super macro mode?
I'm going to try that for a while. It just seems odd to not be able to focus manually when I want to but this thread is proof that I haven't done very well.

I'll also tryout your suggestions for the partial automatic modes you've tried. Thanks so much for sharing.

I'm going to a big exotic car repair place today so I might attempt some more indoor autos and mechanicals detail shots (macro).

Bob S. (somewhat blurry)
Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:02 AM   #44

Default A couple quick NYC night shots in Full Auto EXR

So I just quickly grabbed the camera as I saw the light on the buildings.
I think the first one is the sharpest.
I am impressed at how the bright glare was captured and yet in such low light there is still detail like the jet in that first photo that I never saw while snapping these.

A tripod would have helped a lot yes?

Bob
Attached Images

Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:04 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
very ...very....very ....very....one more....very nice fibbling. I rarely say that. I only said it once and it was here. Excellent shots. I havent seen anybody in the pany forums take shots this nice probably because you have more expirience.

the fujifilm cameras are for special people I believe. It is a bridge camera and not a dslr. It's like wrapping your body around "cheap" silk but it is silk none the less.

I can do HDR but I have not had anytime to take a nice long drive. I live in the middle of a city and its like all I see is junk. So either I take backyard shots or park shots, or Night shots. I was going to do a park shot but it has been cloudy and kinda not right. I wanted to do city night shots but I work night shits...lol

I am waiting to do beach shots when i get a chance and maybee HDR around the area. Not taken the time yet. I just purchased a class 2 16gb sd card which can store around 500 jpg and raw forgot if it was each or both.
Your hype over Fujifilm cameras can be overwhelming at times. It is not what kind of camera you use, it is the person behind the camera that makes all the difference in the world. Fujifilm cameras are for special people - get over it. Anyone can buy a Fujifilm camera and that alone does not make them special....
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:22 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by staats View Post
So I just quickly grabbed the camera as I saw the light on the buildings.
I think the first one is the sharpest.
I am impressed at how the bright glare was captured and yet in such low light there is still detail like the jet in that first photo that I never saw while snapping these.

A tripod would have helped a lot yes?

Bob
It looks like the focusing problem has been resolved. The WB is no longer an issue. Some unsharp mask applied and all of your photos will be fine. Good job...
Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:22 AM   #47

Default Pot Shot Alley?

I think the term is Fan of Fujifilm. Maybe it's a bit gushy and over the top? But I'm not certain it requires this kind of post. I believe he's owned, used and praised several other manufacturers. I think he does honestly critique where particular cameras don't measure up either.

"Anyone can buy a Fujifilm camera and that alone does not make them special.... "

I didn't read his post that way. I thought he meant that the Fujifilm cameras appeal to a certain type of people. It's not a two-way piece of logic so as you say, it doesn't that the owner is anything special.

Why not just stick to the topic of the thread?

Bob S.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:27 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancientritual View Post
It looks like the focusing problem has been resolved. The WB is no longer an issue. Some unsharp mask applied and all of your photos will be fine. Good job...
I like that post a lot better. I take no credit for the photos as I just grabbed the camera at a moments notice and used the full auto.

I'm concentrating on that now so that both my wife and I can know what results we'll get under similarly hasty circumstances. Most likely she's going to only be using the EXR Full Auto mode unless I setup a custom setting for here to utilize in a particular situation.

I'm not done playing around with the focus though. Failure leads to knowledge.

Thanks for the help.

Bob S.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:58 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by staats View Post
I think the term is Fan of Fujifilm. Maybe it's a bit gushy and over the top? But I'm not certain it requires this kind of post. I believe he's owned, used and praised several other manufacturers. I think he does honestly critique where particular cameras don't measure up either.

"Anyone can buy a Fujifilm camera and that alone does not make them special.... "

I didn't read his post that way. I thought he meant that the Fujifilm cameras appeal to a certain type of people. It's not a two-way piece of logic so as you say, it doesn't that the owner is anything special.

Why not just stick to the topic of the thread?

Bob S.
Sorry if you felt that I hijacked your thread. After reading his comment in the HS10 or X90 thread (comparing a F100fd VS FZ35), I felt there was justification for it. You are right though about keeping to the topic of the thread. The Fuji S200EXR is a very good camera, but it requires a fair amount of time and adjustments to take full advantage of its capabilities.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:54 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancientritual View Post
Fujifilm cameras are for special people - get over it. Anyone can buy a Fujifilm camera and that alone does not make them special....

HA! exactly what I am getting at and you said it.

1. anybody can buy a fujifilm camera
2. It does not make them special
3. IT IS THE PERSON BEHIND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you said it and look at everybody who jumped ship to go with the panasonic fz35/8

So the phrase applies.......for special people or people with masochistic desire to be beaten down. j/k. I'll admit I can get annoying most of the tiime.

Last edited by Cresho; Mar 27, 2010 at 12:57 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote