Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 3, 2010, 12:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
First step with this camera is to put it in M size or the 5mp size and leave it there. The EXR system only works in 5mp mode. And yes, the 5mp mode is ALWAYS better than the 10mp mode, forget about nominal resolutions, the 5mp mode resolves more detail. just trust me. And yes, the EXR mode works in P mode or the EXR DR mode, this was proven by friend who did a controlled test (as long as P mode is set to M(5mp))
Dustin, this really quite interesting, 5 mp. Would be interesting to see how Fuji manages this sort of technology... one can only wonder, with all the 10, 12, 15, 18 mp cameras out there, if Fuji will one day increase this technology to 10 mp. Thanks for the info! Glad you are enjoying your camera.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2010, 9:49 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by archish View Post
Looks like the EXR mode is working in all modes if the image size is set to M (5MP). Even in Auto mode where the DR is shown disabled but when shot in M mode the DR/SN seems to be active in Auto mode..did some testing and confirmed....lol nice one Fuji

The P mode and Auto mode are almost same except for more control in P mode. So if you are bit lazy to use P mode use Auto with Image in M mode. EXR should be active and DR seems to work till 400. Although I don't see any reason of Auto mode in this cam as none of the EXR Auto ( Portrait, Macro, Landscape....) preset feature will be present in this mode. Will test some more and post any new info

So as Dustin has mentioned in the first post change the image size to M size and I will say do it for all modes

So far I am extremely happy with the low light performance The IQ is really good/sharp and with software like Neat Image the noise can be removed to a great extent without much blur.

EDIT: For my last question I think I got the answer DR100 is equivalent to DR off, will show some DR low light action in the other F70 thread.
hey Archish,

as Mark had mentioned I am currently in the middle of a move, so not been online much. but i am glad you are enjoying your F70, and the pictures you posted in the other thread look good.

just wanted to quickly confirm a few things.

Yes, the EXR works in any mode as long as your resolution is set to M(5mp)

and yes, DR100 is equivelent to dynamic range expansion being turned off, i will edit my original post to make this clear. thanks for raising that question, I am sure others will have similar questions.

-Dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 1:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Setting #5 - Flash photography.
P Mode / M Size (5mp)
DR 100% (no DR increase)
ISO 200 is my starting point. If I am shooting a group of people or the people i need to shoot are further away I will increase the ISO to 400 or 800.

Seems the DR with flash is software based which adds more noise and details being killed. So its better to switch off DR for flash photography and play with EV compensation to get the best.
archish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 3:02 AM   #14
Super Moderator

Archish,

Indeed. That does seem to be the case, and while I wasn't quite sure of the details when I wrote this, I concluded the same and hence set the DR to 100% or off.

however, the dynamic range of a scene with flash should not be too big, so not having the dr boost while using flash should not be a huge issue for most situtations, there are certain instances where it would be nice, such as lighting up someone against a sunset, etc. but i am sure that can be overcome with enough compensation.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 1:14 PM   #15
atx

I've seen your scenic photos using the F70EXR (amazing), but how does the F70EXR fare when using flash? I recall the F70EXR being better in low-light conditions without flash (seems to be one of the main selling points on this site), but I wasn't sure if the flash made a material difference. What's the image quality when taken in a dimly-light or dark bar/club with flash?

I'm currently debating between the F70EXR and Panasonic Lumix ZR1. I realize that the F70EXR requires some control-setting in order to outperform the ZR1, but is this really that time-consuming of a process? I'd assume that if you were taking photos at a certain time, they would all be using the same settings - unless you were taking pictures of outdoor landscape (setting #1) when a wild animal appeared out of nowhere (setting #2). I guess a more realistic scenario would be if you were take photos of outdoor landscape/cityscape along with taking photos of yourself/people with the landscape/cityscape as the background.

The ZR1 is more attractive at just under $200 on Amazon, but the F70EXR is only $30 more expensive. I'd consider the F80EXR at an additional $30 ($260), but Sarah Joyce (mtclimber) mentioned in this thread that the F80EXR "has been professionally reviewed to have less image and video quality than the former F-70EXR camera" (I'm still trying to decide how important HD video is). In addition, I've turned to the F70EXR/ZR1 because my original interest in the Sony TX5 (waterproof camera) has faded due its the higher price point ($330). Allowing myself to accept these marginal increases ($200 to $230 to $260) can be a very slippery slope.
atx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 2:27 PM   #16
Super Moderator

in general switching between modes is not a big issue as you say, mostly you will be doing 1 kind of shooting per condition.

the flash on the f70exr is pretty much inline with any other compact camera, though its ability to shoot at higher ISOs lets you extend the flash range by using a higher ISO.

the ZR1 has a pretty standard compact camera flash. some people like to say that it is underpowered, but i am not sure what their comparison is. if you are comparing to a similar competing model, its pretty much the same.

the f70 does better in low light either with or without flash. its high isos are better for no-flash situations, and the ability to use these higher isos with flash allows you to make more use of your flash at longer distances. if you are shooting flash within 10 feet or so, there will be little difference.

i will say the zr1 has the advantage though in landscapes/cityscapes because of its wider 25mm lens, which is actually sharper, esp in the corners. it also does better in macro. the only time this is not true is in conditions of high contrast, where the dynamic range boost of the f70exr is needed.

its difficult to say which is a better camera. they are both for different reasons. the f70 is a clear winner in low light or high contrast. however the zr1 does better in decent light and much better video.

the f80exr doesn't quite do as well as the f70exr, but the differences are minimal, if you wanted hd video and the EXR system, its still a good cam.
Old May 22, 2010, 10:44 PM   #17

Default When to use setting #2 or #3

Hi,

This is my first post but the learnings gained out of reading this setup guide alone has transferred my f70exr to an object of extreme disappointment to something that never leaves my side. My first shots out of the box using any one of the multiple modes were mostly rubbish whereas now most are keepers and the knowledge gained through the process has developed my overall curiosity and hence skills.

To help me squeeze the best out of the camera, could you expand a bit more on when to choose setting #2 "wildlife/at the zoo in daylight" or #3 "the setting for shooting people or kids outdoors". I notice that the only thing that's changing is DR from 400 to 200.

For instance, is it right to think that for the zoo example (DR400), you would be wanting to look into shadows a little more but still in reasonable light?

Cheers

D
Double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 1:54 PM   #18
Super Moderator

Double.

I am glad you found my little guide. And am very happy to hear that it has allowed you to be happy with your camera, as well as sparking your overall photographic curiosity.

As you have noted there is very little difference in #2 and #3. When I wrote it, I tried to keep it as friendly for those not familiar with photography as possible, so I tried to pick shooting conditions that most people do. And alot of people love these superzoom cams for the zoo and just for shooting kids general people. So I went ahead and did one for both so that the very new user.

Really you can use #2 and #3 pretty interchangeably. If the sun is shining brighter and you have more shadows, use the DR 400. If it is a cloudier day out with less shadows and bright areas, then bring the DR down to 200 which will give you a little cleaner results.

Hope that answers your question sufficiently. let me know if you need anything else.
-Dustin
Old May 24, 2010, 5:51 AM   #19

Default f70exr settings

Dustin,

That's perfect - couldn't be clearer.

Thanks a lot for the speedy reply

Double
Double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 4:15 PM   #20

Can anyone explain why I smoetimes see awful grain especially in the indoor photos? I use the settings from this post. F70exr is a good camera but why does it sometimes play such tricks?
pablo11 is offline   Reply With Quote