Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:40 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo11 View Post
Can anyone explain why I sometimes see awful grain especially in the indoor photos? I use the settings from this post. F70exr is a good camera but why does it sometimes play such tricks?
I know exactly what you're talking about - the grainy shadow areas on high-ISO photos from the F70EXR look terrible. But it's not that the F70EXR is any worse than other pocket cameras with small sensors. With a small sensor you are going to see noticeable image noise in the shadow areas of your photos at any sensitivity setting over ISO 400. I've had at least a dozen pocket digital cameras (Fuji, Canon, Olympus, Kodak and a few others) and they're all the same. My Fuji F20, with half the pixel density of most pocket cameras, is the best - it can sometimes get away with ISO 800. But I can assure you that photos from the F20 show exactly the same problem as you have mentioned, just starting at ISO 800 instead of ISO 400.

I've noticed that my Canon cameras generally do a better job of hiding this image noise with their noise reduction processing. Rather than the grainy-looking mess that Fuji's noise reduction produces, the Canon photos tend to slide into a smoother fuzziness that isn't so offensive to the eye. But they don't really preserve any more detail.

So what can you do?

1. Set the camera to Auto ISO 400 so it doesn't use over ISO 400, and rely on mechanical image stabilization and a steady hand to get a sharp shot if your subject is fairly static.

2. If you have to use a higher ISO to get a faster shutter speed, run the photo through Neat Image afterward on the computer (free version available for download). Neat does a great job of smoothing out the grainy noise while not obscuring detail, much better than the in-camera NR processing.
JamesBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 4:23 PM   #22

Thanks for the answer.
But the point is I sometimes see this awful grain when the camera runs at iso 200

Maybe I just can't take good photos ot my hand is too shaky
pablo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 7:52 AM   #23

Excellent Dustin.
Alex
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2010, 1:47 PM   #24

Default Please more info about Fuji's EXR.

Hards80

I have been looking at the S200EXR for a while now, forums, reviews, Local Camera Stores, Big Boxes, Fuji's site and the info seems thin.

Does the EXR mode have a future?

The S200EXr is about a yr old, but none of my local stores carry it.

It seems to get good reviews because of sharpness, shadow detail, & other nidgy functions it offers.

What's your take on the S200EXR, the future of EXR. I'd even consider a pocket EXR but the new pocket cameras don't come with an ELV. I tested one out on a sunny day, and it didn't pass muster.

If you can direct me to ant sites about the future of the EXR, please do as to you taking time to explain.

Thanks,

Last edited by klxdrt; Oct 30, 2010 at 1:48 PM. Reason: misspell
klxdrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2010, 2:28 PM   #25
Super Moderator

I believe that Fuji will continue to produce compact cameras with the EXR system. It has a pretty good, albeit almost cult following. The problem is that the EXR is not well implemented in the auto modes, which for the majority of compact camera users that is all they ever do. So many people that buy these cameras do not use them to their full potential, which when used correctly offers more dynamic range and decent low light performance for a small sensor camera. Therefore, because many users do not use them to the full potential, the cameras do not always get the highest user reviews and do not sell quite as well as they could.

The S200EXR is still a very viable camera, and 1 year old is not that old. If you are willing to put a little work into the camera to get the most of the EXR system, it could be a nice choice.

I would not worry too much about the future of EXR either, after all a camera like this is a 1 time purchase. Even if the EXR system goes away tomorrow, it does not diminish the image capabilities of your camera. But again, the EXR line has sold pretty well for Fuji, particularly the f70/80exrs, so I think we will continue to see more of them at least for the foreseeable future.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 7:25 PM   #26

Any suggestion on which setting to use for shooting moving kids, fast action in P mode?
tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 7:51 PM   #27
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulip View Post
Any suggestion on which setting to use for shooting moving kids, fast action in P mode?
well, no small pocket cam is going to be perfect when shooting fast action.

but setting #3 will be your best. indoors shoot flash #5.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 2:23 AM   #28

Default F80 exr

Are these recomended settings equally applicable to the F80? Thanks.
aroos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2011, 4:12 PM   #29

wow all this great info, wich i would of found it sooner ...... i just have to ask, so what is the best setting to have it set at for outdoors.. sometimes it's of people and sometimes it's scenic. I'm just asking b/c both your recomendations are different for both but when you are out and about and need to take a pic quick and don't have time to change settings what is your preference?
lin7604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:07 AM   #30
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin7604 View Post
wow all this great info, wich i would of found it sooner ...... i just have to ask, so what is the best setting to have it set at for outdoors.. sometimes it's of people and sometimes it's scenic. I'm just asking b/c both your recomendations are different for both but when you are out and about and need to take a pic quick and don't have time to change settings what is your preference?
as a "home base" as you will, i would stick to setting #3 if you are unsure of what you are shooting, it will do reasonably well in most situations if you don't have time to adjust for them.