Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:21 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default F70EXR Settings Update (applicable for all EXR cams)

I have had my F70EXR for a while now, and subsequently have had the time to try it out in different settings.

Therefore, I have been able to put together a more complete and more specific settings guide for the F70EXR.

I put this together for a forum member who PM'd me, so I wanted to share with everyone as well.

First step with this camera is to put it in M size or the 5mp size and leave it there. The EXR system only works in 5mp mode. And yes, the 5mp mode is ALWAYS better than the 10mp mode, forget about nominal resolutions, the 5mp mode resolves more detail. just trust me. And yes, the EXR mode works in P mode or the EXR DR mode, this was proven by friend who did a controlled test (as long as P mode is set to M(5mp))

Setting #1- Outdoor landscape/cityscape shooting.
Put camera in EXR DR Mode
Set to M size (5mp).
Set DR800. this is the secret for increasing dynamic range
Does not matter what you do with auto ISO because cam will use ISO 200 at all times.

Setting #2 - Wildlife / at the Zoo in daylight
P Mode
M Size (5mp)
I set the DR to 400
Auto Iso 800

Setting #3 - General shooting. This is the setting i would use for shooting people or kids outdoors.
P Mode M Size (5mp)
Dr 200%
Auto ISO 800

Setting #4 - Low-light without flash
P Mode/M Size (5mp)
DR 100% (so no increase in DR) (adds noise in low-light)
Auto ISO 1600

Setting #5 - Flash photography.
P Mode / M Size (5mp)
DR 100% (no DR increase)
ISO 200 is my starting point. If I am shooting a group of people or the people i need to shoot are further away I will increase the ISO to 400 or 800.

Last edited by Hards80; Apr 4, 2010 at 8:51 PM.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2010, 6:40 PM   #2

Many thanks, Dustin-

That is the most comprehensive elaboration on the F-70EXR that I have seen to date. I am sure there was much experimentation to arrive at those settings.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:58 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Thanks Sarah.

Some of these settings came about because of questions raised on this very forum. Prompting me to do some experimentation. But, I enjoy that kind of stuff, so its all fun for me.

Glad to do it, if it helps even just a few people.

-Dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 2:14 AM   #4

Sounds really great (your experimentation, settings, etc). Again, as I mentioned earlier, hope to see more pictures with this camera. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 10:17 AM   #5

Just got the cam today and have been playing around in low light and testing some functionality.

I was just going through the various options you have given and for flash photography and low light, you have mentioned DR is off but for me in P mode I can see only DR Auto to DR400. There is no option to switch it off. Any idea Dustin as where it can be set off?
archish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 10:32 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by archish View Post
Just got the cam today and have been playing around in low light and testing some functionality.

I was just going through the various options you have given and for flash photography and low light, you have mentioned DR is off but for me in P mode I can see only DR Auto to DR400. There is no option to switch it off. Any idea Dustin as where it can be set off?
Hi Archish, sorry I can't answer this but just to let you know Dustin is out and about so might not be on for a couple of days.... just so you don't think he is ignoring you
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:21 AM   #7

Thanks for the heads up Mark. Since I got the cam today only I don't mind fiddling around and then posting more questions once Dustin is back
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:25 AM   #8
Super Moderator

No worries. I think you sound like an ideal candidate for this camera, as it needs someone who is happy to play, try things and use the optimum settings for good results. If you do then things look great from this little camera. For people who are not willing to and just want to stick it on auto they are going to be disappointed.

Looking forward to seeing some photos.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 11:14 AM   #9

Looks like the EXR mode is working in all modes if the image size is set to M (5MP). Even in Auto mode where the DR is shown disabled but when shot in M mode the DR/SN seems to be active in Auto mode..did some testing and confirmed....lol nice one Fuji

The P mode and Auto mode are almost same except for more control in P mode. So if you are bit lazy to use P mode use Auto with Image in M mode. EXR should be active and DR seems to work till 400. Although I don't see any reason of Auto mode in this cam as none of the EXR Auto ( Portrait, Macro, Landscape....) preset feature will be present in this mode. Will test some more and post any new info

So as Dustin has mentioned in the first post change the image size to M size and I will say do it for all modes

So far I am extremely happy with the low light performance The IQ is really good/sharp and with software like Neat Image the noise can be removed to a great extent without much blur.

EDIT: For my last question I think I got the answer DR100 is equivalent to DR off, will show some DR low light action in the other F70 thread.

Last edited by archish; Apr 3, 2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 11:20 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by archish View Post
EDIT: For my last question I think I got the answer DR100 is equivalent to DR off, will show some DR low light action in the other F70 thread.
I would suggest starting a new thread so it isn't overlooked by others

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.