Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:37 AM   #11

Thanks for the article summary and links Ned.
2raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:51 AM   #12

No probs. You're welcome. All the best.
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:55 AM   #13

Cresho,

I am a hobby photographer for the past 20+ years. Used an SLR for over 10-years before getting hooked on digital with a Nikon 5700 which served me well for 7-years.

I want more than what I could do with the 5700 and some of the other P&Ss I've used (Fuji F40FD and Canon SD 780IS), but I don't have the bucks to spend on a good dSLR.

I know a super-zoom bridge won't quite match the IQ of a dSLR, but they are certainly more versatile and can offer the zoom range that can only be accomplished by carrying multiple lenses for a dSLR.

I really hope the Fuji HS10 proves to be an excellent camera in which case that's the one I'm going to buy. Else, the choice for me really comes down to the S200 and FZ35.

The FZ35 definitely holds the edge for usability and HD video capability, it's something I can easily hand over to someone and say just point and click. The Fuji S200 on the other hand will not be as easy for someone other than me to use.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:01 AM   #14

Cresho,

If possible, would you mind sharing some sample shots, of the same scene, taken with the two cameras. I haven't been able to see a side-by-side comparison of the IQ on the two anywhere.

Thanks
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2raj View Post
Cresho,

If possible, would you mind sharing some sample shots, of the same scene, taken with the two cameras. I haven't been able to see a side-by-side comparison of the IQ on the two anywhere.

Thanks
I think you'll find what you're looking for here:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Bob S.
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:54 AM   #16

Bob, I've checked that site before. They have the F200EXR but not the S200EXR. Do they use the same sensor?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:10 PM   #17

You will have a better expirience with the panasonic. You will get better results from a fuji.

I'm telling you to get the panasonic just because it is more feature rich and you mentioned video and zoom. Just because of those 2 phrases. The only thing I see that will piss you off is the purple fringing.

If you are like me, canon sucks compared to nikon due to those "red" colors and also the "red" fringing I see on the eos series. If you are this critical, stick with fuji. s200exr has some fringing but not as bad as the panasonic. Also, you will feel right at home with the manual zoom. I do miss the extra zoom!

Let me tell you, wait for the hs10. Really wait for it. Now a days, Digital cameras are excellent. ANY! night shots are a problem and the ones that do take good night shots are the ones that win. The hs10 will have a less detail but you wont be able to tell. it has a 30x zoom which I am dying for, it has hd video (which i dont care cuz i know it will suck) The microphone will most likely pick up audio from the continous focus motor.

I just tried the exr auto mode. My girlfriend can use it just fine but.....she doesnt understand the button goes half way to focus. LOL!

Here is what you are looking at.

if you want zoom and HD video but have purple fringing proplems, panasonic all the way.
if you can live with 15x zoom and no hd video but have better image quality, fuji.

Last edited by Cresho; Mar 22, 2010 at 2:22 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:32 PM   #18

Here look at the slide show of fz35. This guy is alright

http://www.flickr.com/groups/fz35/po...th/4455187904/

Here look at a fuji slide show at flicker s200exr

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1246115...th/4445487803/

Side by side comparison is useless. Actual pictures taken are better. Many other factors. I can tell you i like my fuji better.

this is the excersize, look at both, tell yourself which you like better? overall, to me, the panasonic has too much chromatic aberration which aggravates me.

wait for the hs10 to come out. and by end of year a exr version (my speculation)

if you want a side by side, you need to wait around 2 weeks. i lent out fz35.

Last edited by Cresho; Mar 22, 2010 at 2:53 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:33 PM   #19

Perhaps I am lazy. I had both the FZ-35 and the S-200EXR, and I ended up selling the S-200EXR. It was not a matter that the FZ-35 is easier to use, or that I did not have the photo skills. The FZ-35 is lighter, faster, and more convenient to use , As far as skills I have been teaching digital cameras for almost 20 years, and I shoot super zooms as well as DSLR cameras.

I think that preference might be more about a person's shooting style than manual zoom which I have plenty of with the DSLR's.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:56 PM   #20

Cresho,

Thanks for your suggestions and links to the photo pools. Both cameras look very good for IQ, but some of the ones made with the Fuji just jump-up and grab me more than the ones from the Panny.

Like you said, I'm going to wait, if I can, until the HS10 comes out. But I may have a trip coming up in early April, and I may have to pull the trigger on one of these two.