Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:31 PM   #1

Default Has anyone compared the Fuji S200EXR with the Panasonic FZ-35

Is the larger EXR sensor on the Fuji S200 any better than the Panasonic FZ-35 for low light or indoor photography?

I've seen some DR pics taken with this camera that look pretty amazing, but I've also seen some excellent pics taken with the Panny.

I love the manual zoom feature on the S200, but I'm also reading about focusing problems with this camera.

I would love to get some comments on the Fuji S200EXR vs Panasonic FZ-35. These two are my fall-back camera in case the Fuji HS10 turns out to be a dud on IQ.
2raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2010, 5:34 PM   #2

Hiya, I was looking at some hybrid cameras... one article (I still have it if you are serious about needing info) says that the S200EXR is the best of the two cameras, though Panasonic is sure impressive. What do you want to use the camera for? Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 7:05 PM   #3

Outdoor use would be for landscape and vacation pictures. Indoor uses for kids pics etc. So really, an all-purpose camera.

I think I've pretty-much narrowed it down to the Panasonic and Fuji.

Could you please share the article you found. Thanks.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:13 PM   #4

The weight is also a serious issue to look at, coz the Fuji is almost double the weight of the FZ35.
You don't want that bulky camera to lug around like a dslr.
Paul O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:50 AM   #5

Not really concerned about the weight. One of the reasons I like the Fuji is that it has a manual zoom like a dSLR. I prefer that to the motorized zooms in other brands.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2raj View Post
Outdoor use would be for landscape and vacation pictures. Indoor uses for kids pics etc. So really, an all-purpose camera.

I think I've pretty-much narrowed it down to the Panasonic and Fuji.

Could you please share the article you found. Thanks.

There is an article comparing the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38 and the Fuji FinePix S200 EXR in "Photography Monthly", December 2009 issue
I must say, the article, beginning on page 104 by Roger Payne, focuses on three cameras, The Canon PowerShot SXi, Panasonic Lumix FZ38 and Fuji FinePix S200 EXR. Roger Payne picked it as the best of the three cameras, noting specifically that it fits well in your hands, it is easy to use the manual zoom control and dedicated buttons. Comes with plenty of functions, trumping both of its rivals here EXCEPT in HD movies. The reviewer believes it takes the best picture (see pages 110-111).
He faults the camera, though, saying that the autofocusing system occasionaly proved indecisive, most notably in low light situations. He thoght that the button layout on the body could be more organized and could not get to grips with the electronic viewfinder.

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38 is a 12.1-megapixel hybrid, super-zoom camera in a compact body. The core of the camera is the Leica lens, which zooms across the 35mm equivalent of 27-486mm. The FZ38 can also record HD movies in Panasonic's proprietary format. There's also another video format which records at a lesser quality.
A Creative Movie Mode allows you to adjust the shutter speed and aperture whilst shooting video and you can zoom in and out as well. Panasonic's image-shake reduction POWER O.I.S. reduces blur even when pressing the shutter button or shooting with a slow shutter speed. So you can take beautiful night shots.
Handling is good and the camera is small and light enough to be slipped into a day bag and forgotten about! Once in action though, the POWER O.I.S. kicks in to stop camera shake.
Results are good, with acceptable image results, strong colours and satisfactory performance in the ISO test.
Verdict: a very capable little camera. The whopper Leica zoom lens is makes this a very attractive bundle.
See the folloiwng links for info about the FZ38
http://www.photographymonthly.com/as...38%20stats.pdf
http://www.photographymonthly.com/as...ISO%20TEST.pdf

Go to the following link, dated 23.07.09 and it will give you a good review about the Fuji FinePix S200
http://www.photographymonthly.com/Ne...inePix-S200EXR
I hope some of this might help. Do take a good look at the Panasonic FZ38!!!
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 5:50 AM   #7

I have and both have different strengths. I recommend the z38 for newbs and the s200exr for pros. THe z38 is a much easier camera to use but with the s200exr under an expirienced user, will have excellent results and be satisfied. Users of a z38 will be satisfied only if they can live with purple fringing.

I started playing with the higher isos and now tolerating 800 just fine with s200exr. Night shots are very nice. I use 100 iso for city shots. I was about to take a trip to do one but now I want to do some ducks tomorrow so i need rest.

Last edited by Cresho; Mar 22, 2010 at 6:01 AM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
I have and both have different strengths. I recommend the z38 for newbs and the s200exr for pros. THe z38 is a much easier camera to use but with the s200exr under an expirienced user, will have excellent results and be satisfied. Users of a z38 will be satisfied only if they can live with purple fringing.

I started playing with the higher isos and now tolerating 800 just fine with s200exr. Night shots are very nice. I use 100 iso for city shots. I was about to take a trip to do one but now I want to do some ducks tomorrow so i need rest.
Just be careful about how refer to any geese from Canada you photograph ...

I bought the S200EXR and several people on here, especially Cresho, have been helping me out. I too went for the manual zoom feature and thou I'm not a complete newbie I'm just barely an amatuer having had half a dozen cameras over 25 years including a very nice Konica SLR, another Fujifilm digital "bridge" type camera and a couple of video cameras. Technology and hence complexity has moved at an amazing pace.

There are just a ton of features on the S200EXR and I'm personally still having issues with it. I read the reviews though I missed the one referenced above that mentions viewfinder issues. At this stage I agree with reviewers comments. But I did get the impression that in several of the fully automatic modes I would be able to quickly pick up the camera and grab some OK shots. Also, I thought my wife could operate it in that mode. I'm not so sure about that now.

Maybe Cresho is correct about the S200EXR being for pros only and the FZ35 would have been a better choice for me. But I wanted a manual zoom. Perhaps I was wrong?

Bob S.

Last edited by staats; Mar 22, 2010 at 7:50 AM.
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:40 AM   #9

well, if you had my gray matter, you see how easy the s200exr is to use. The manual zoom is something I hate passing up.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:48 AM   #10

Gray matter or photo experience?
staats is offline   Reply With Quote