Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 13, 2010, 5:32 PM   #91

I don't think it will matter. It's just what Jim C described. Try as you may but where it focuses and depth of field are totally different monsters between these 2 cameras. Maybe a flat surface like everybody else uses with some color and lines and numbers would give a better idea but I don't think Sarah will go that far. Even then, these results mean nothing. I like what I see so far.

Just look at the first 2 shots she took with the compact and the hs10. You don't know what the sensor was looking at and of course the compact camera's shot looks sharp and bright but that shot means nothing. Compacts behave in a narrow fashion compared to these more advanced cameras so extra care needs to be taken.

I recently went to a party with my s200exr and never used flash indoors. I played with ISO 100 to 1600 and also spot metering and also continuous shooting. Most of my pictures came out excellent but I would of toned down the color to reduce exaggerated reds on people's faces. A compact cannot do that since it's limited. Ya extra care needs to be done to use these cameras more effectively hence "bridge cameras for the enthusiast"

and also 2 examples here where she took 2 shots not carrying and 2 shots with added care. And further care will result in better pictures.

Last edited by Cresho; Apr 13, 2010 at 5:44 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 6:20 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Never make a decision about a new camera right out of the box - there may well be some adjustment needed (in the menus) to the basic settings to get them to your tastes (
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
. I completed the reset, and then made the following adjustments:

Reset the file size to Large/Fine
Reset the lens sharpness to Hard
Reset the ISO to 400
Reset the DR to 400
Reset to WB to AWB

Sarah Joyce
Sarah, I am glad things got corrected to your satisfaction, as it will put a number of minds at ease. However I notice you made these changes after the reset but before taking the pictures, so I have to ask whether it was the reset or the changes you made after the reset that made the difference? I ask this because a new camera should already be set to the factory defaults and a reset should not be necessary, unless you make some changes to them that were not an improvement. Did you make any changes before taking your very first pictures? Were your first pictures taken with or without changes from the settings as received - in other words did your reset only undo any changes you may have made at first - changes that were different from those you made after the reset?
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:31 PM   #93

Penolta-

The first batch of HS-10 photos were taken, just as I received the camera from Amazon. I just took the camera out of the box, installed a charged set of NimH batteries that I had ready, as I did not want to open the 4 alkaline batteries packed with the camera. Then I began taking photos. The results, as you have probably seen, were not good at all.

Then today, (04/13) after extensively reading the camera manual, on how to make a camera-wide reset to factory defaults, and before I took any more photos, I did the reset. Then, I carefully documented any and all the changes that I made post camera reset.

I wanted to be very careful in making the camera reset. And I realized that I should carefully document my experiences as a "heads up" notice to other users currently receiving brand new Fuji HS-10 cameras.There is a also a possibility that I somehow received a returned camera, as the image count in this "new" camera began at #31. Inventory on HS-10 cameras has been very limited, so that is indeed an outside possibility.

I am just very thankful to have had a lot of digital camera experience. I also teach digital cameras for our state university and our local Community College, and have written and published 4 books on digital cameras, and for all the excellent support and help on this Forum, that motivated me to attempt a camera reset, as my "last ditch" remedy before returning the camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:24 PM   #94

Quote:
Penolta-

There is a also a possibility that I somehow received a returned camera, as the image count in this "new" camera began at #31. Inventory on HS-10 cameras has been very limited, so that is indeed an outside possibility.

Sarah Joyce
I think you hit the nail on the head. Amazon, as you know, has a liberal return policy, and they had and shipped stock earlier. In view of the inability of other retailers to obtain timely backorders, it is indeed possible that some or all of those available in this particular short period of renewed availability may have been resales.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:27 PM   #95

Amazon does a pretty good job on return. Generally they sell returns that seen uses in their amazon warehouse vs the regular site.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:52 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Amazon does a pretty good job on return. Generally they sell returns that seen uses in their amazon warehouse vs the regular site.
Whatever the case, it is possible that someone somewhere along the line has fiddled with the camera. You could expect this with a store demo, but not one sold as new. If returned to Fuji and reshipped by them it should have been inspected and marked by them for resale as "refurbished."
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:55 PM   #97

Penolta-

Yes, in view of how very tight the inventory is on a day to day basis, it is conceivable that a few returns might have found their way back in the "pipeline."

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 14, 2010, 1:35 AM   #98

Quote:
There is a also a possibility that I somehow received a returned camera, as the image count in this "new" camera began at #31.
Could you please tell me how you checked the image count?
I want to relay the instructions to the person who'll be buying it for me.
CraXJaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 3:11 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I think so it is. I never heard (amazon.de) that they delivered returned things.
But picture count (?) 31 ... hmmm.
I would see if a box was opened and content used.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 8:10 AM   #100

Crax-

When the camera saves a photo that was just taken, it assigns a file number to it. When the first photo was saved on the HS-10 that I received on Monday, 12 April, I noticed that it was #31.

Sarah Joyce