Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:01 AM   #61

OK, last shot for the night!

Both photos use the camera's built-in flash unit. The photos are label so you can see which camera took the shot posted. The two shot were set-up to be as close as possible.

The first posted photo is from the HS-10 ($499), and labeled as such. The second photo posted will be from the Panasonic FX-500 ($197).

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:07 AM   #62

OK, here comes the FX-500 photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 13, 2010 at 12:18 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:42 AM   #63

HEH! typical strong flash of a compact with added right sided shadow for free vs a correct exposed light fired from fuji but I don't understand why it came out all blurrry... should taken 2 more shots.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:53 AM   #64

Looks like the white balance is different between the two photos and firings of the flashes on the different cameras. I'm really getting worried about the HS10 now that I saw this photo........

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 6:28 AM   #65
Administrator

It had something to do with the camera settings, as the HS10 image shows a -2EV setting for Exposure Compensation in it's EXIF.

The camera looked like it was trying to expose for ambient and use the flash for fill, too (as the shutter speed was only 1/2.6 second for the HS10 photo), hence ambient light was throwing off the White Balance with the flash providing very little of the light. My guess is that it may have been interpreting it as Flash Compensation, hence slowing down the shutter speed and exposing more for ambient (throwing off the white balance since it was probably still using a WB setting more appropriate for Flash in the image processing pipeline and ambient light temperature is usually very different).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:58 AM   #66

How does one correct for this kind of lighting issue? Increasing aperture might help, but it is also likely to darken the pic further, as ambient indoor light might not be sufficient to produce enough light w/out some extra flash (fill) unless one used a light specifically for spotlight purposes. Or just changing the WB?

Bigger issue for me: is the HS10 auto light not good enough to use for indoor shots w/out playing around with the menus considerably?
andytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:09 AM   #67
Administrator

I haven't used one yet, so Sarah can probably comment on it.

I suspect that either the camera was set that way to begin with (and going back to factory defaults would correct it), or Sarah was trying to "throttle down" the flash output because it was a bit strong at ranges that close.

I doubt it would be an issue for typical indoor shots (versus closeups of a camera with shiny areas that were probably reflecting a lot of light from a flash). Perhaps she can comment on it, but I would not expect those results to be typical for most indoor shooting (as the settings being used look like they probably caused the WB problem).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:17 AM   #68

I just clicked on the Amazon link and it indicates temporarily out of stock.

Opps! Just realized I was replying to a 3 day old post!

Last edited by meanstreak; Apr 13, 2010 at 8:19 AM.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:55 AM   #69

Jim C great info and insight as always

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:39 AM   #70

Default Speed

Sarah Joyce,

What is your take on the speed of this camera with and without flash? I am curious as to the capacity and speed class rating of the card you are using.

Much appreciated,

G
Ganibar is offline   Reply With Quote