Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:24 AM   #71
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
The shot was done at ISO 200 a shutter speed of 1/400th, and an aperture of F 5.6. I was able to read it here easily, so I assumed it was there.
Hey Sarah... Note that the forums software will automatically resize a photo (using very high JPEG compression, which will cause a softer image) and strip out the EXIF information, if dimensions or file size exceed the limits we have set. So, that may have been what happened.

See my comment about it in this post for details:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...ml#post1026659
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:41 AM   #72

OK let's recap those two comparison photos posted above. Because the HS-10's built-in flash is rather powerful, and because I could not find any flash compensation menu, I had to use exposure compensation to "throttle back" the flash lighting on the HS-10.

The more important issue to me is the lack of lens sharpness on the HS-10. I had also increased the in-camera sharpness on the HS-10 before taking this most recent photo. I shot these photos with two cameras to offer a comparison between photos.

I believe that all of the EXIF information is intact and by the way, both cameras were set to AWB.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:51 AM   #73
Administrator

Yep.. the EXIF is in those last two. The main malfunction with most cameras using Auto WB with Flash, is if you set the camera in a way that lets more ambient light contribute, it still uses RGB multipliers (which is the way color changes are applied to an image for a given WB setting) for the light from the flash (which is closer to the temperature of daylight).

Most cameras are not very smart in that area (if a flash is being used with Auto WB, they set WB for the light from the flash). Given the very slow (approx. 1/3 second) shutter speed allowing a lot of ambient light to contribute, it probably threw off the colors. That is odd that it would do it that way using a -EV setting with exposure compensation, though (slowing down the shutter speed that much). That's similar to the way I'd expect one to behave using something like a Night Portrait mode (where a camera exposes for ambient to expose something in the background, then fires the flash to illuminate closer subjects). Strange.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:58 AM   #74
Administrator

Of course, that behavior (using a very slow shutter speed if you use a -EV setting with flash) may be due to a firmware bug of some type with a given setting combination, too (which happens with newer cameras from time to time).
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:16 AM   #75

so your saying the lens sharpness is not good and that I should cancel my pre-order and find something else? At least can't be doing any worse than my to D-Slr bodies are now.......

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:56 AM   #76

Whoa, Dave-

Please hold your horses! I am not saying that at all. I believe I have a defective camera because my HS-10's ability to AF is very poor. That has usually not been the normal situation, when I compare my photo samples to other posted results from the HS-10.

So, I will be returning the camera. Getting a replacement is going to be the real chore.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:07 PM   #77
Administrator

You may want to try the Reset menu choice in the Setup menus, just in case some of the settings got scrambled internally somewhere and see if that helps (if you haven't already). I've seen stranger things with a camera that resetting one to defaults fixed.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:42 PM   #78

Quote:
Whoa, Dave-

Please hold your horses! I am not saying that at all. I believe I have a defective camera because my HS-10's ability to AF is very poor. That has usually not been the normal situation, when I compare my photo samples to other posted results from the HS-10.

So, I will be returning the camera. Getting a replacement is going to be the real chore.

Sarah Joyce
THANKS for the quick reply and the thoughts. I value your thoughts very highly!!!!!!! THANKS again. Finally leanred my camera should be sent on the 15th from newegg's warehouse in CA.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 1:23 PM   #79

Quote:
Whoa, Dave-

Sarah Joyce
This worries me a lot..
I was thinking of having the camera brought to me by someone returning from the US, so I have ONE shot at getting a good piece.
CraXJaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 2:07 PM   #80

CraX-

I have only seen three reports (counting my own) of defective HS-10 cameras. I think you need not worry, that is a very small, small percentage.

At JimC's suggestion I am going to attempt a system reset to factory defaults on the HS-10, and another photo sample test before I do the actual return.

Sarah Joyce