Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 1, 2003, 11:20 PM   #1

Default To lense ring or not to lense ring

I have noticed that with the lense ring on in macro shots I get a shadow at times. I think I will bag the ring for a while and just use the camera without it.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2003, 11:23 PM   #2
djb

Goofas, are you talking about the adapter ring?? if so, are you using flash for your macros?? the only time i've had shadows is when using flash.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2003, 6:10 AM   #3

That is correct.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 4:52 PM   #4
djb

Goofas, according to my s602z manual on page 33 it states that flash can't be used for supermacro mode. i think this is where i used forced flash and got shadows. if it is omly in supermacro mode then that is a problem for us. i think you have the s5000 which is similar to the s602z but with longer zoom (lucky you!!!)

dennis
Old Dec 2, 2003, 4:58 PM   #5

Even without the flash in real close shots I will get a shadow from the adapter ring if there is bright overhead light. I will keep trying without it and see what happens.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 5:01 PM   #6
djb

yeah, i now remember getting shadows with bright, high over the shoulder light. i think it was only a problem with supermacro, though. most of those shots i cropped out the shadows.

dennis
Old Dec 3, 2003, 2:23 AM   #7

Goofas try with a flash "deeffuser" Any piece of white plastic should do it. Also keep in note that there are special macro flash rings flashes for macro shots+flash.

Also you might want to keep an eye on http://s5000.vze.com It seems that the s5000 community is growing large there.
veedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2003, 2:40 PM   #8
djb

I tried a quick experiment with my s602z and flash. I tried it in the suoermacro mode and the flash does not flash or indicate in the evf. i tried flash in macro mode with and without the adapter ring and both had shadows. the shadow with the adapter ring was about twice the size of the nonadapter ring shot. i shot at a very low angle. maybe, as someone mentioned, you could use a white card and reflect it at about 45 degrees on to the subject.

dennis
Old Dec 3, 2003, 3:30 PM   #9

I use a piece of white computer paper and tape it to the outside of the flash to make an instant diffuser.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2003, 8:38 PM   #10

What do you freakin knkow! Page 43 of the user guide states to take off the ring in macro mode to avoid the shadow!