Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 15, 2010, 7:54 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraXJaX View Post
gjtoth, I guess you have to turn the volume all the way down..
true, just access the setup menu, and set the volume for all the different events to zero.
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 7:59 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbaron View Post
true, just access the setup menu, and set the volume for all the different events to zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraXJaX View Post
gjtoth, I guess you have to turn the volume all the way down..
That, indeed, does the job. Too simple, DOH! Many thanks.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:36 AM   #93

Default Super-Macro

My Gallery

--
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:46 AM   #94

To All, I am impressed with the effort and information shared in this forum. I have learned a great deal from reading the various posts. What I would like to know about are your experiences using the manual zoom, and if there are any significant glitches in the menu/software used in the HS10.

I had been considering the Lumix ZS7 and the Olympus PEN EP-1 (with current price drops). The plan is to make a decision, by COB, today!
Ganibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:10 AM   #95

Are HS10 folks using the software that came with the HS10 or are you just plugging in the USB and using whatever software you have always used. Is Windows smart enough to just recognize another USB device?
Condoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:51 AM   #96
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillgreg View Post
Hi Mark

I'm just catching the tail-end of this amazing HS10 frenzy here and elsewhere!

I have a question if you don't mind. I see a lot of time and effort going into the whole resizing/compressing/100% crop issue. I use flickr. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that with a free flickr account, one can upload 100% full-size photos, uncompressed. Then you can put them into albums, and each album can have it's own privacy and size settings, so you can choose both who has access to each album, via open access or private invitation link, and more importantly, whether the viewer can access a sample or the full sized photo, along with all EXIF data.

I believe that a solution exists, via the sharing/linking/permissions system already in use between other sites such as Picasa, Blogger, Photoshop Elements and Facebook; I use this personally, and can state that it works extremely well. So although in some sense they are competitors, they are all benefiting (as are the users) by sharing access to a common set of photos and members.

I would think this methodology would provide all Steve's members with a valuable, convenient and simple way to display reasonable sized samples right on the forum postings, with clickable links to the full sized photos with EXIF data at flickr.

I hope this suggestion is not out of line and follows the correct Forum protocols, it's just that my perception is that many people (such as Sarah Joyce), who offer immeasurable value to the community through their generous and voluntary work, spend a lot of unnecessary time and effort on this roundabout of image parameter madness, if I can put it that way.

I imagine such a solution would also have the added advantage of reducing the load on Steve's servers, and adding extra value to the Steve's community, and as such attracting more members overall.

Your thoughts and response will be most appreciated by all I'm sure, thank you.

Greg
Hi Greg, if someone has a full size on something like flickr then yes they could link to it, no problems, but for most people uploading shots at full size is a pain, also they probably don't want people accessing their original so it won't totally work. Also we don't need to see every photo at a 1:1 crop just when people are talking about quality then it helps. Also it takes a lot less time to do a quick edit for the 100% crop then uploading the whole thing (generally). Another point is if it is in the thread then it is easily there with others to follow, you can put 5 shots per post if you upload them using the software here or post more if you have them hosted. It's not a good idea to include quite a few shots per post otherwise it is a waste of space and you can't see what is going on so easily.

So no problem with linking to flickr in some cases to show a full image, but for ease of the members trying to gather information then it isn't the best way.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:21 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganibar View Post
To All, I am impressed with the effort and information shared in this forum. I have learned a great deal from reading the various posts. What I would like to know about are your experiences using the manual zoom, and if there are any significant glitches in the menu/software used in the HS10.

I had been considering the Lumix ZS7 and the Olympus PEN EP-1 (with current price drops). The plan is to make a decision, by COB, today!
Coming from an Olympus SP570UZ with an electronic zoom ring, this is much better. It's a LOT easier to control than an electronic zoom ring. Although I've only had the camera for 24 hours, I can pretty safely say that I would choose this over the Panny. My other camera is an Oly E-620 so I'm familiar with the 4/3s system. You will undoubtedly get better IQ from the Oly simply because it's SLR. However, feature-wise, the HS-10 is a winner.
My Gallery

--
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:51 PM   #98

gjtoth ... Thank you for the reply. I am set to place my order and choose features and convenience with good image quality over the Oly with the superior IQ, higher cost and lack of an integrated flash.
Ganibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:55 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganibar View Post
gjtoth ... Thank you for the reply. I am set to place my order and choose features and convenience with good image quality over the Oly with the superior IQ, higher cost and lack of an integrated flash.
The more I use this camera the more excited I get about using it. I loved my SP570UZ but the HS-10 raises the bar.
My Gallery

--

Last edited by gjtoth; Apr 15, 2010 at 3:11 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:44 PM   #100

I am actually also replacing the SP570UZ. I was not real unhappy with it, but made too many trade offs in buying it. I need a viewing screen I can tip, A skylight filter to protect and more zoom. That said I am looking forward to the arrival next week. I guess the only learning curve for me will be using the Oly FL-40 flash on the HS10. It will be fun.
Condoman is offline   Reply With Quote