Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 15, 2010, 6:39 PM   #111

HS10 @ Exposure: 0.04 sec (1/25), Aperture: f/2.8, Focal Length: 4.2 mm, ISO Speed:1600, Exposure Bias: 0 EV, Flash: Off, Did not fire

Canon PS SD1000 Exposure: 0.5 Aperture: f/2.8 Focal Length: 5.8 mm ISO Speed: 200 Exposure Bias: +2/3 EV Flash: Off, Did not fire

Neither have been touched (cropped, color, etc.). Taken at about the same time of day, the second one a bit later in the evening. Obviously they're different, but the are close (the second one came first, a couple days ago). To me the ISO makes a huge diff. when I took it at 1600 on the Canon it was all blur, like there was NO depth of focus. I'm still learning, here, and playing, but the HS10 really feels like it is taking BETTER pix, given what it has to work from lol!

Last edited by andytree; Apr 15, 2010 at 6:42 PM.
andytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:00 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbaron View Post
Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust..

Today, I tried again to get some actionshots alongside the runway. It had been alive all day, so little chance of getting unlucky again.. Unless a volcano erupts some 1900km away (Iceland), and gets all the airspace in north-west europe closed

So, good reason to play some more on other subjects. I tested the barrel distortion jpeg vs. raw, and there's no difference. Well done Fuji (isn't that actually a volcano? )

I left the cam in raw, without jpeg, to find out at home my imac (last years top model) couldn't read them. Neither the latest adobe camera raw update can handle the files. So I had to switch back to my dying windows pc and use the provided silkypix stuff to edit the pictures.

Picture taken with fill flash. tweaked the contrast and saturation in raw stage. Can't tell if part of the clouds is volcanic dust
Hey Green Baron
Very beatiful picture - could you mail the original to me - want to use it as my Desktop background !
Claus [email protected]
Tresman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:19 AM   #113
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andytree View Post
All the info is here - I am so clueless as to how to get the info onto the picture. sorry.
You don't need to worry, the exif is there automatically so if you have something like oPanda iEXIF viewer (free product from the oPanda website) then you can just right click on the photo and select view exif and there is everything.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:41 AM   #114

can I use it on a mac? can I use it with a hack? I can't figure out how to get a free version (they cost $50). Clueless. sorry
andytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:23 AM   #115

Default A bit off topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
You don't need to worry, the exif is there automatically so if you have something like oPanda iEXIF viewer (free product from the oPanda website) then you can just right click on the photo and select view exif and there is everything.
Thank you Mark for that link about the Exif data display software.

I've tried a couple of them now and I'm hoping someone in the Fujifilm world can answer this.

I find that the Fujifilm supplied software while clumsy does provide a reasonable report if incomplete on the camera's settings. It will show EXR and which mode of EXR has been selected. The other software I've tried simply shows what it reconizes and so some times a particular EXR setting & shot is translated into a more basic mode of the camera such as Landscape. It would be nice to know both. I think that would greatly help in learning how some of the automatic modes of this camera work.

Does anyone know of a program that is more intimate with the Fujifilm's operation?

Bob S.
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:59 AM   #116

For EXIF,
If you're using Firefox you can go here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5673

It lets you view EXIF without needing to download the image.
CraXJaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:25 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraXJaX View Post
For EXIF,
If you're using Firefox you can go here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5673

It lets you view EXIF without needing to download the image.

It is also a possibility - allthough its not for free - to use PIE studio.
A very good picture viewer with a printing layout program that is fantastic IMO. And also EXIF data, and it can show RAW pictures.
But it cost a little - I think its so good that I have bought it (one time pay - last the rest of your life)
Claus
Tresman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:28 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresman View Post
It is also a possibility - allthough its not for free - to use PIE studio.
A very good picture viewer with a printing layout program that is fantastic IMO. And also EXIF data, and it can show RAW pictures.
But it cost a little - I think its so good that I have bought it (one time pay - last the rest of your life)
Claus

Yes I have tried that one but it still doesn't solve the problem stated in my post - "Does anyone know of a program that is more intimate with the Fujifilm's operation?" Maybe there just isn't one other than Fujifilm's which won't let you copy to the clipboard.

Bob S.
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 1:25 PM   #119

While waiting for mine to arrive and placing orders for eneloop batteries, the question came to mind, is there an optical filter that I should buy and keep on the lens to protect the glass?
Ganibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:16 PM   #120

Well the owners manual says you need a thin one but I've been using a normal one and haven't really seen any problems with the edges.
SuperGrover is offline   Reply With Quote